Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

2019 - New models EL

Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 20:30   #26
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
It seems to me that if you are not going to offer a 7x in 42mm (which disappeared from the SLC line around 2010) in a new series of binoculars you have to do something unique and different with your 8/10x42s.

An expensive 8.5x42 with all the trimmings can fit the bill for that. Especially when you are keeping your standard and less expensive 8x42SLC and 10x42SLC in the line up.

Alternatively, when Zeiss dropped their 7x42Victory it offered in 2014 the completely redesigned Victory SFs in 8x42 and 10x42.

Bob

I would submit to you that, in light of the fact that Swarovski Optik outsells all the "alpha" brands substantially, and the fact that their business has continued to grow rapidly over the past few years, Swaro doesn't have to come out with new and updated products as often as the others. Their current lineup sells extremely well, and Swarovski Optik backs up their product better than any other premium barnd as well.
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 21:42   #27
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
...I'm not aware of any binocular with variable speed focus, but if this is on someone's wish list, I should be interested to hear how many degrees of focus travel per dioptre they require at the shorter distances, and how many at the longer distances...
I don't have a specific answer, but I think any reasonable implementation would be a huge improvement over the current performance. Variable speed focus is used in the Pentax Papilio, and it was used in the (now discontinued) Brunton Epoch and Minox HG binoculars. The main issue for me with the EL SV is the focus being too "slow" up close. I'm happy with the current ratio for mid-range and distant focus.

--AP
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 23:14   #28
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Moore View Post
I just looked up my Swarovski 8x56 slc at B&H and it says they are discontinued. The 10x56 is still available.
Those are both the old discontinued models; interesting that B&H still has a few left of the 10x... and still wants so much for them. The current 10x (which I have) and 8x56 SLCs are much nicer, but not widely stocked in the US, including B&H.

Back on topic, I think Swaro must be pretty comfortable with where they're sitting in the bino market right now. I interpreted the recent Field Pro hoopla as an indication that they don't feel pressured to make more substantive improvements.

By the way, I just attended the grand opening of a birding store (we finally have an alpha optics dealer in town) and saw Swaro's binocular eyepiece on the ATX scope. In a word, wow! Really amazing comfortable view. It seems a bit much to lug around (I don't even have a scope myself), but maybe not compared to a 95mm full bino. The only variable magnification is by adding in a 1.4x converter, but still... wow.
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 23:30   #29
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebeam View Post
Completely unacceptable posting, ND. Classless. Apology owed to CJ.

Back on topic, and just my opinion, but I don't expect to see much of anything revolutionary. An IS binc from Swaro would be pretty amazing, one can only imagine the cost involved with such an optic with "Swarovski" stamped on the side of it.
beamer:

Chosun and I like trading barbs. It makes things on here more interesting.

So you can MYOB, and if you need a definition, just ask.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 23:45   #30
dries1

Tenex,

It appears that B&H is selling the 10X56 SLC HD at a discounted price of a bit over 2 grand. I have the FL 10X56 now and really like them for daytime terrestrial viewing. I am still curious about the SLC 10X56 for use as an astro glass, but hesitant to buy new to view, no one has it on the shelf near me, the 8X56 yes, but not the 10X. I am keeping an eye out for one used/not abused and discounted.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 00:47   #31
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
beamer:

Jerry
Speak for yourself !

I'm a rose - you can stick to the thorn gig all on your own.

I wouldn't even want the abhorrent stuff you come out with on my Akashic record let alone permanently recorded in public cyberspace.

P.S. If other people choose not to stand by in the face of such nastiness, then that's their business !

My inbox gets flooded everytime. A lot of people have their own difficult times to deal with in their life, so you are not alone - but really the only time such trials are in vain is if you let those demons control you - I wish you well.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 01:20   #32
NDhunter

What is akashic ? The fact you like to troll a new thread post I made, says it all.
Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 02:05   #33
litebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
beamer:

Jerry

Yeah right. Telling a fine member here to 'go crawl down your hole' may seem interesting to you. "Classless" was apropos.

Last edited by Troubador : Thursday 21st February 2019 at 15:52.
Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 02:41   #34
dries1

Ok,.... lets all chill for a while shall we? I mean,..... this is a binocular forum.

Andy W.

Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 02:47   #35
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebeam View Post
Yeah right. Telling a fine member here to 'go crawl down your hole' may seem interesting to you. "Classless" was apropos.

I'll offer you a big mug of GFY, advise it you need a definition.
Rabbit hole reference...
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=Rabbit%20Hole
Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 03:02   #36
dries1

Pileatus,

Some of that was funny I have to say.

Andy W.

Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 03:20   #37
PeterPS

I'll ask Lee to delete some of the above posts (you know which ones). Some people might see those posts as fairly minor stuff in the scheme of internet squabbles, but others might find them offending.

Last edited by PeterPS : Thursday 21st February 2019 at 04:35.
Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 09:20   #38
Gijs van Ginkel

NDHunter, posts 15 and 29,
Up to now I find your reaction on Chosuns posts rather rude and insulting. I think that it would be proper to apologise. Chosun gives in her own often humoristic style excellent information I enjoy it and I find your response to it very unpleasant. I am surprised that the moderators of this forum let this pass.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 12:16   #39
Steve

Please keep on topic, stop the playground bickering, insults and name calling, don't make me come back here !

Steve

grand fromage forum le bird
Old Thursday 21st February 2019, 18:41   #40
litebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
NDHunter, posts 15 and 29,
Up to now I find your reaction on Chosuns posts rather rude and insulting. I think that it would be proper to apologise. Chosun gives in her own often humoristic style excellent information I enjoy it and I find your response to it very unpleasant. I am surprised that the moderators of this forum let this pass.
Gijs van Ginkel
Agreed, GvG.
I used some uncharacteristic nomenclature in this thread, but I found the posting towards Chosun as completely unwarranted and out of line.

This is a wonderful forum, henceforth hopefully we can all get along.
Old Friday 22nd February 2019, 14:21   #41
proudpapa56
Where'd you go, stay put!
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
By the way, I just attended the grand opening of a birding store (we finally have an alpha optics dealer in town) and saw Swaro's binocular eyepiece on the ATX scope. In a word, wow! Really amazing comfortable view. It seems a bit much to lug around (I don't even have a scope myself), but maybe not compared to a 95mm full bino. The only variable magnification is by adding in a 1.4x converter, but still... wow.

I hate to be that guy that makes corrections but it might matter to some in their shopping process, that converter is 1.7x, and yes, … wow.

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 24th February 2019, 21:55   #42
ticl2184

Unless my sources are wrong, there not ready yet. I hear it's 2020 for the release.

The 4th Gen EL's are something completely different....FOV is better than the Zeiss SF. Lighter than the old EL's..New coatings to achieve higher transmission. Larger focus wheel...

There goin blow the Zeiss SF out of the water ...

Cheers Tim
Old Sunday 24th February 2019, 22:28   #43
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticl2184 View Post
Unless my sources are wrong, there not ready yet. I hear it's 2020 for the release.

The 4th Gen EL's are something completely different....FOV is better than the Zeiss SF. Lighter than the old EL's..New coatings to achieve higher transmission. Larger focus wheel...

Cheers Tim
None of that sounds like it will blow SF out.
Only thing intriguing here to me is lighter weight.

I doubt only new coatings will make the bino brighter enough for
the eye to detect. They'd have to use HT glass or increase exit pupil size if they want it brighter than it already is and brighter than SF.

I can't imagine FOV would be much wider than SF. It would have to be wider enough for people to notice.

Larger focus wheel. I think it's fine as is.

Lighter weight sounds good though.

I do wonder how you would know all of this secret info so far out from its alleged release.

Current EL is great. Hope they don't ruin it. Hope they don't go with garish aesthetic design of new CL.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Sunday 24th February 2019 at 22:31.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 25th February 2019, 04:08   #44
dries1

El

I sense something here.

Andy W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BSmeter.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	688039  

Old Monday 25th February 2019, 07:33   #45
Troubador

Maybe they are going to reduce the magnification from 8.5x to 8.0x so they can catch up on brightness and fov.

Lee
Old Monday 25th February 2019, 10:24   #46
mpeace

Quote:

Cheers Tim
I suppose they've got to try something and can't just bring out another new strap design, but it's hard to believe they've got all that much to play with when it comes to FOV if they're going to keep the long eye relief, 8.5x and edge to edge flat field. Lee might be right about bringing out a new 8.0x, but I can't imagine they'll drop the 8.5x as it's kind of their flagship. I think they could drop the eye relief a little on the 8.5x and increase the FOV from 7.6 to say 7.8 deg without too much compromise. If they could reach 8.0 deg on the 8.5x that would be fantastic and pretty much match the SF for AFOV, but still a way off on FOV.
Old Monday 25th February 2019, 10:37   #47
Gijs van Ginkel

To my knowledge Swarovski uses selected user en consumer groups to identify the needs for new or improved products and what they do very well, is to design it, make it, check the new instruments and when everything is ready to go, the new instruments are produced and when enough supply is available they come on the market and generally are directly available, something not every company does. So this topic will undoubtedly be read by Swarovski and when the company does not see a need to invest in new products it will not be done, despite this discussion.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Monday 25th February 2019, 12:43   #48
ticl2184

No Bullshit ...I don't post rumours.
That's what I heard from a good source.

The only caveat is fov. I'm not sure how it can be achieved ..The Zeiss SF are pushing the boundaries of what is possible at the moment, unless they go down the route of the Nikon SX which is impractical in my opinion because of added the cost, size and weight.

I wonder if it's possible to have a interchangeable lense system. I.e. A 42mm Body with interchangeable bayonet lenses units?

Cheers Tim

Last edited by ticl2184 : Monday 25th February 2019 at 13:55.
Old Monday 25th February 2019, 15:10   #49
Troubador

Quote:
No Bullshit ...I don't post rumours.
That's what I heard from a good source.

The only caveat is fov. I'm not sure how it can be achieved ..The Zeiss SF are pushing the boundaries of what is possible at the moment, unless they go down the route of the Nikon SX which is impractical in my opinion because of added the cost, size and weight.

I wonder if it's possible to have a interchangeable lense system. I.e. A 42mm Body with interchangeable bayonet lenses units?

Cheers Tim

Its an interesting idea Tim but for sure would add cost and weight. Zeiss 7x42 had the same eyepiece as the 8x and achieved the 7x and much wider fov with a shorter objective added on, but of course this was not user-changeable.

Lee
Old Monday 25th February 2019, 15:40   #50
ticl2184

Hi Lee..

I agree, but I just don't know how it would be possible to increase the fov beyond that of the Zeiss SF ...
I was just wondering how on earth it could be achieved ..

I'll message you later my friend

Cheers Tim
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: