Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Favorite Georgia Birding Spot?

Old Tuesday 26th June 2012, 02:43   #1
Sam Brunson

Favorite Georgia Birding Spot?

What is everyone's favorite birding spot?

Mine (even though not in Georgia but 1 mile from the border) is the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge. I saw 8 Roseate Spoonbills, a couple of Least Bitterns, and a Purple Gallinule. It is a great place to bird and I highly recommend it.

-Sam
Old Thursday 16th August 2012, 15:07   #2
Hamhed

Sam -
I haven't checked this forum in some time but I'm glad to see the activity. As kayaking birders, my wife and I have been to a few places on the Georgia coast as well as Okefenokee Swamp. One of our favorite destinations is Sapelo Island. It's a easy and friendly two hour paddle (with the tide of course!) and an interesting island to explore, not to mention the potential to find good shorebirds and Chacalachas. Careful arrangements can get a birder to pristine Blackbeard Island, which we did only once but would love to go back. A long paddle to a great birding spot past Sapelo is to Wolf Island. On our one visit there, we were impressed by solitude and bird life, not to mention a severe thunderstorm that caught us on a open beach!
Another spot we like near the coast is the Altamaha WMA. Least Bitterns are there also. I can also include Cumberland Island and Jeckyll Island which we like very much also and but it would be easier to say that the Georgia coast has many places we go back to repeatedly. Difficult then to choose a favorite.
We have done almost zero birding away from the coast but have been to Okefenokee Swamp a couple of times.

Steve

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 5th January 2013, 13:31   #3
Serch

We usually go to Okefenokee Swamp. Birding is not very good where I live in Dalton, so on weekends we go 30 min up to chattanooga for quite good birding.

Although if you go to the tops of the little mountains here you can find scarlet tanagers during migration.
Old Sunday 9th June 2013, 23:20   #4
84texag

I'm new to Georgia (and very new to the forum) but I just discovered I'm only 9.5 miles from the Dalton Forest WMA. This past weekend, I picked up a couple of new birds there - Yellow-breasted Chat & Blue Grosbeak - so for now this is my favorite spot though I'm looking forward to a trip to Jekyll Island.
Old Sunday 9th June 2013, 23:38   #5
Hamhed

84texag -

Welcome to the Forum! I think you are right to be excited about Jeckyll Island. The bird feeders at the campground is a good place. Their setup inspired our own feeding area.
My wife and I have been to much of the Georgia coast, usually in conjunction with sea kayaking. The Altamaha Wildlife Refuge is another favorite spot but the most fun is going to Sapelo Island by ferry or as we have done a few times, by kayak. Do your homework - you need permission just to go there, but it is easy to get. Rent a bike and you can see a good portion of the island.
Then there's scenic Cumberland Island also accessible by ferry or kayak. These are just a few highlights of coastal Georgia. Too bad we're both up in the hills and most of a day's drive away!

Steve

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: