Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

EL 8.5X42 Non HD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Saturday 30th January 2016, 19:54   #1
SuperDuty
Registered User
 
SuperDuty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 888
EL 8.5X42 Non HD

A fellow has these listed as Non HD. Could they be anything other than the EL 8.5X42 SV Model 34108 in production up until last year ?

Thanks
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l400 (2).jpg
Views:	302
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	571820  Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l400 (1).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	571821  
SuperDuty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 10:34   #2
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
A fellow has these listed as Non HD. Could they be anything other than the EL 8.5X42 SV Model 34108 in production up until last year ?

Thanks
Robert
I guess not,
Swaro does not talk about HD in their high-end product it seems,
rather than "The crystal-clear optics provided by SWAROVISION technology"
only for the SLC:s HD it is mentioned.
Perhaps HD is a bit outdated, since everyone using it nowadays.
So I guess you could say they are non-HD.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Sunday 31st January 2016 at 10:42.
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 12:33   #3
SuperDuty
Registered User
 
SuperDuty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 888
Can they be made in this style and lack Swarovision, or would they appear like the prior WB if they were pre SV ?
SuperDuty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 13:34   #4
Kammerdiner
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,767
It's an SV, hence it has ED/HD glass. I think Vespo is right: the days of touting HD glass are just about over.

It's like saying a car has radial tires.

Mark
Kammerdiner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 14:46   #5
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,605
Swarovski has always had different terms for their coatings and I always found it confusing. I don't know which one would be equivalent to HD.

Bob
ceasar is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 15:38   #6
SuperDuty
Registered User
 
SuperDuty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 888
So in everyone's opinion these have to be the EL 8.5X42 SV ?
SuperDuty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 15:59   #7
Maljunulo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 735
If the bird is on the right-hand barrel, as far as I know it is SV.
__________________
All behavior offends someone.
Intellectual curiosity is as rare as common sense.
Maljunulo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 16:10   #8
Pileatus
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
So in everyone's opinion these have to be the EL 8.5X42 SV ?
He copied text from another listing, that's all.
Pileatus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 16:27   #9
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist
 
james holdsworth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ontario
Posts: 3,247
Barrels are straight-edged, with no taper, so SV's.
__________________
''serenity now....insanity later.'' - Lloyd Brawn
james holdsworth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 17:00   #10
SuperDuty
Registered User
 
SuperDuty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 888
Thanks

Before I make him an offer I wanted to make sure there wasn't an early version of that style that was non SV. If he would ever get back to me with a SN I could learn something about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Barrels are straight-edged, with no taper, so SV's.
SuperDuty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 20:31   #11
BruceH
Avatar: Harris Hawk
BF Supporter 2019
 
BruceH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
So in everyone's opinion these have to be the EL 8.5X42 SV ?
Well, I am with everybody who has posted that it is a Swarovski EL SV (Swarovision).

I suspect the seller got confused with the SLC line. The prior SLC line was referenced as SLC WB HD. The new replacement line (without the close focus) dropped the HD part, even though is is basically the same optically as the previous line.

I thought you already had an 8.5X42 EL SV.
__________________
It's all about the view!
vs.
A fool and his money are soon parted!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)
BruceH is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 23:51   #12
SuperDuty
Registered User
 
SuperDuty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 888
I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Well, I am with everybody who has posted that it is a Swarovski EL SV (Swarovision).

I suspect the seller got confused with the SLC line. The prior SLC line was referenced as SLC WB HD. The new replacement line (without the close focus) dropped the HD part, even though is is basically the same optically as the previous line.

I thought you already had an 8.5X42 EL SV.
SuperDuty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 23:54   #13
SuperDuty
Registered User
 
SuperDuty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 888
Thanks for the info, that makes sense. I do have a pair, if the price is right maybe two.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Well, I am with everybody who has posted that it is a Swarovski EL SV (Swarovision).

I suspect the seller got confused with the SLC line. The prior SLC line was referenced as SLC WB HD. The new replacement line (without the close focus) dropped the HD part, even though is is basically the same optically as the previous line.

I thought you already had an 8.5X42 EL SV.
SuperDuty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 1st February 2016, 01:07   #14
BruceH
Avatar: Harris Hawk
BF Supporter 2019
 
BruceH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
..... I do have a pair, if the price is right maybe two.
Sounds like a plan!
__________________
It's all about the view!
vs.
A fool and his money are soon parted!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)
BruceH is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 6th February 2016, 05:44   #15
SuperDuty
Registered User
 
SuperDuty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 888
I ended up with these for $900, needless to say I'm very happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160206_001135_hdr.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	572848  
SuperDuty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 6th February 2016, 07:27   #16
falcondude
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 693
that does look like a SV
falcondude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 6th February 2016, 15:18   #17
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist
 
james holdsworth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ontario
Posts: 3,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
I ended up with these for $900, needless to say I'm very happy.
That's a phenomenal price for an SV, the lowest I think I've seen.
__________________
''serenity now....insanity later.'' - Lloyd Brawn
james holdsworth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 6th February 2016, 15:43   #18
SuperDuty
Registered User
 
SuperDuty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 888
Hi James

I still don't get it, they were listed in a buy it now for $1300-best offer format, I threw out what I thought was a crazy number and it was accepted. They were made in 2010, have perfect lenses, and a clean serial #. The focus knob action is a little grabby and gritty, but not nearly as much as I have felt with some other used SVs. I'll never get this lucky again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
That's a phenomenal price for an SV, the lowest I think I've seen.
SuperDuty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 6th February 2016, 16:25   #19
BruceH
Avatar: Harris Hawk
BF Supporter 2019
 
BruceH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
Hi James

............, I threw out what I thought was a crazy number and it was accepted. ..........
Tax Time! The seller probably posted the ad after opening the envelope with the W2.

That is a great buy .... Good job.
__________________
It's all about the view!
vs.
A fool and his money are soon parted!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)
BruceH is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 6th February 2016, 16:34   #20
jtc
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Hamilton
Posts: 132
If the focus knob is grabby and sticky send them to SONA. I sent mine there with a similar problem and they came back just like new. They fixed the focus knob and replaced the armor cleaned all the lenses. they came back looking brand new. Call them to get a repair number and send them in!
jtc is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 6th February 2016, 18:06   #21
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 945
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
Hi James

I still don't get it, they were listed in a buy it now for $1300-best offer format, I threw out what I thought was a crazy number and it was accepted. They were made in 2010, have perfect lenses, and a clean serial #. The focus knob action is a little grabby and gritty, but not nearly as much as I have felt with some other used SVs. I'll never get this lucky again.
Great buy Robert, Congrats!

It's similar deals like yours that allowed me to purchase 2-ELs, 2-Habicht Porros, 1-SLC, 1-CL and Gold Ring optics (the future still looks BRIGHT)! You just have to be patient and be looking for em in all the right places!

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th February 2016, 00:51   #22
SuperDuty
Registered User
 
SuperDuty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 888
Thanks fellows.
SuperDuty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 27th February 2016, 16:19   #23
BruceH
Avatar: Harris Hawk
BF Supporter 2019
 
BruceH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona USA
Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
Hi James
...........
They were made in 2010, have perfect lenses, and a clean serial #. The focus knob action is a little grabby and gritty, but not nearly as much as I have felt with some other used SVs. I'll never get this lucky again.
SD .... If the focus is an issue, Swaro NOA should be able to improve it under warranty. They made a noticeable improvement on a 12X50 owned by my brother.

Now that you have two 8.5X SV EL models, I was wondering how they compared, especially in regard to rolling ball. However I realize you may not be the best to judge on the rolling ball since I recall you do not notice it.

There have been previous posts speculating that Swaro made unannounced production changes to the 8.5X formula to reduce the rolling ball tendency. Since you do not see rolling ball, maybe a better question to ask is if you see any difference in pin cushion between the two?

If my memory is correct, 2010 is the intro year of the SV so your new acquisition should be early production. As I recall, you other unit is a very current 2015 model.

I recently looked through a 8.5X and the rolling ball was very noticeable to me. Then I got the idea to look at the serial number and this store demo was from 2011! I need to check out a ProField model then I will know it is a much newer unit.

What is interesting is that I found rolling ball to be very noticeable in the early 8.5X but do not see it at all in the 10X42 or the 12X50 and just see the beginnings of it in the 10X50.

It would also be interesting to know if you see any differences in CA, the color balance or the colors of the coatings.

Thanks.
__________________
It's all about the view!
vs.
A fool and his money are soon parted!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)
BruceH is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 27th February 2016, 23:46   #24
birdrousta
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
Hi James

I still don't get it, they were listed in a buy it now for $1300-best offer format, I threw out what I thought was a crazy number and it was accepted. They were made in 2010, have perfect lenses, and a clean serial #. The focus knob action is a little grabby and gritty, but not nearly as much as I have felt with some other used SVs. I'll never get this lucky again.
very nice. I just paid more than that for a set of the 34008s, because I did not want the field flatteners.

they've been to sona recently and have new armor and immaculate glass.

unfortunately, they don't focus past about 500 feet out and the seller seems to be hoping he can convince me they do or that that is the factory spec.

I'll give sona a call Monday, be transparent about my not being the first owner, and see what they'd like to do.

I'm thinking I may just blind order maven b2 with a custom over focus and call it a day, though. apparently the 34008 focuser does this occasionally. I saw a post from a Spanish use with this issue and others from a bit back.
birdrousta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 28th February 2016, 05:52   #25
SuperDuty
Registered User
 
SuperDuty's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 888
Hi Bruce

I'll put them side by side on a good day and let you know what I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
SD .... If the focus is an issue, Swaro NOA should be able to improve it under warranty. They made a noticeable improvement on a 12X50 owned by my brother.

Now that you have two 8.5X SV EL models, I was wondering how they compared, especially in regard to rolling ball. However I realize you may not be the best to judge on the rolling ball since I recall you do not notice it.

There have been previous posts speculating that Swaro made unannounced production changes to the 8.5X formula to reduce the rolling ball tendency. Since you do not see rolling ball, maybe a better question to ask is if you see any difference in pin cushion between the two?

If my memory is correct, 2010 is the intro year of the SV so your new acquisition should be early production. As I recall, you other unit is a very current 2015 model.

I recently looked through a 8.5X and the rolling ball was very noticeable to me. Then I got the idea to look at the serial number and this store demo was from 2011! I need to check out a ProField model then I will know it is a much newer unit.

What is interesting is that I found rolling ball to be very noticeable in the early 8.5X but do not see it at all in the 10X42 or the 12X50 and just see the beginnings of it in the 10X50.

It would also be interesting to know if you see any differences in CA, the color balance or the colors of the coatings.

Thanks.
SuperDuty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA in the EL 8.5X42 SV SuperDuty Swarovski 21 Saturday 19th December 2015 14:37
Allbinos new #1, the SV, 8.5x42. NDhunter Swarovski 23 Thursday 13th December 2012 07:47
New 8.5x42 ELs Jaffnut Swarovski 20 Friday 23rd September 2011 02:51
First Look at the New 8.5x42 EL henry link Swarovski 31 Saturday 16th January 2010 13:03
Q! Swarovski 8.5x42 Ridge Walker Swarovski 34 Saturday 24th November 2007 23:53

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.23719311 seconds with 38 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:38.