Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New Product To Be Launched 4-Mar-2016

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old Tuesday 16th February 2016, 13:32   #76
perterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lume View Post
But isn't the Habicht a hunting bino? At binostore.com it is listed under the Hunting Bino.. btw.. what country is binostore located? I can't find it in their physical address.. and has anyone got any bad experience with it?
http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/binostore.com
Old Tuesday 16th February 2016, 15:59   #77
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by lume View Post
But isn't the Habicht a hunting bino? At binostore.com it is listed under the Hunting Bino.. btw.. what country is binostore located? I can't find it in their physical address.. and has anyone got any bad experience with it?
Lumey

Every bino is a hunting bino if you use it for hunting. I am no hunter but since I understand that much hunting takes place in twilight then an 8x30 might be the least-huntingest bins ever, apart from 10x18 pocket bin that is.

Binostore sells across international borders and I know nothing about where they source their stock but you woud be advised to carefully check whether the manufacturers warranty would apply to you.

Lee
Old Tuesday 16th February 2016, 15:59   #78
SuperDuty

lume
Pick up an 8.5X42SV while they are readily available at much reduced prices. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Old Sunday 21st February 2016, 19:38   #79
cycleguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman_euston View Post
@SwarovskiOptik just tweeted (1 Feb 16:55) the following:
"March 4, 2016 is D-day. We will be presenting our new landmark product that completely redefines performance."
Anybody know what it is? Specifically, will it supplant the EL 10x42 binoculars that I just bought?!?
So why the reference to D-day???? Digital?

CG
Old Tuesday 23rd February 2016, 21:05   #80
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
3) You could bet safe money on Swaro never introducing another porro in your lifetime or even updating the existing ones: apart from fascinating stuff like the Leica rangefinder porro (housed in a roof look-alike body) I can't imagine any of the alphas launching a new traditional porro.
I'm pretty sure thugh that Swarovski will update the coatings in the Habicht range whenever there's a change. Doesn't make sense not to do so, in fact, it would probably be more expensive to keep on making the Habicht with "old" coatings.

As to none of the leading manufacturers making a new porro at some stage .... Well, I'm not so sure. From talking to people from those manufacturers I got the distinct impression that they do know that porros will always have advantages over roofs when it comes to optical quality.

And traditional porros also have distinct advantages when it comes to reliability. There are simply fewer things that can go wrong.

Hermann
Old Tuesday 23rd February 2016, 21:31   #81
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
I'm pretty sure thugh that Swarovski will update the coatings in the Habicht range whenever there's a change. Doesn't make sense not to do so, in fact, it would probably be more expensive to keep on making the Habicht with "old" coatings.

As to none of the leading manufacturers making a new porro at some stage .... Well, I'm not so sure. From talking to people from those manufacturers I got the distinct impression that they do know that porros will always have advantages over roofs when it comes to optical quality.

And traditional porros also have distinct advantages when it comes to reliability. There are simply fewer things that can go wrong.

Hermann

Yeah, but can they charge $2500 for a new porro? Maybe, but no one would buy them....to the general public, roofs look sleek and modern - porro's clunky and distinctly old-fashioned.

I really can't see any rationale for Zeiss / Swaro et al to build a new uber-porro, now that roofs are as good optically, are completely water and dust resistant, work in all temperatures, are compact, extremely rugged and [generally] accepted by the buying public as superior in most ways. It would have to be more a labour of love than an economic decision, IMO.

Last edited by james holdsworth : Tuesday 23rd February 2016 at 21:36.
Old Wednesday 24th February 2016, 09:28   #82
Troubador

Quote:

Hermann
Hermann

I wouldn't disagree with any of that except that you could say the same about 7x binoculars and all the people from alpha manufacturers I have talked to say the same thing: 'everybody loves them but nobody buys them'. Good old Leica persists with their 7x roof and long may they do so but I don't see Zeiss or Swaro joining them.

Lee
Old Wednesday 24th February 2016, 10:07   #83
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:

Hermann
Afaik, the Canon IS line of stabilized binoculars is the only modern porro design extant. There is surely a reason why Canon opted for a porro rather than a roof. Perhaps stabilization does not fit into a roof configuration. If so, porros may yet have a resurgence.

Separately, the reliability of porros has not been impressive at least in my limited experience. Over the years, the roofs I got from Ebay were generally ok, whereas a third or more of the porros were dirty inside or misaligned.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 24th February 2016, 15:28   #84
henry link

The very first Canon IS binocular (15x45) did use a roof prism. I think the Porro Type 2 they've used since is probably easier to work with. I doesn't intrude into the area occupied by the IS prism as much as a roof, or a Porro Type 1 would.
Old Wednesday 24th February 2016, 15:50   #85
Binastro

Hi Henry,
I didn't know that the 15x45 IS used roof prisms. I have never used one.
I have noticed, though, that they seem to have problems secondhand. Maybe age, first edition or roof prisms or a bit of each.

Doesn't Zeiss make Porros if you order one?
Old Friday 4th March 2016, 23:59   #86
JabaliHunter

Theses 2 new products are not hunting related...
Old Saturday 5th March 2016, 10:09   #87
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post

These 2 new products are not hunting related...
This is, and this looks like the only major product release, so no new bins or spotting scopes yet:

Swaro's press release: http://uk.swarovskioptik.com/nature/press/PA_i6s_ENG

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Saturday 5th March 2016 at 10:31.
Old Saturday 5th March 2016, 20:08   #88
Omid

The new Swarovski "product" is now known to the public (it was known to me before its official release and I informed you guys of what it is about two weeks ago here in this thread). So, no new binoculars or spotting scopes this year. May be next year or in 2-3 years in the future. But, seriously, what do we expect to improve in the "new" binoculars to come from Swarovski? or from Zeiss? The image quality "for human visual use" is already superb. To me, any premium binoculars from late 90s on wards are quite satisfactory. I don't think it really matters if we add 2 degree more apparent field of view or 2% more transmission or 1/4 turn more or less turn in the focusing knob...

I joined bird forum in 2004. At that time, I lived in Toronto, Canada and loved the joy of owning and looking through my Swarovski or Zeiss binoculars. 12 years have passed and now I live in California I still love my superb Zeiss, Leica, Nikon and Swarovski binoculars from late 2000s. I attend SHOT Show where new sporting optics are introduced almost every year but going to Zeiss or Swarovski booth doesn't make me excited anymore. My observation is that the premium binoculars have reached their performance apex in terms of image quality, resolution, etc. If binoculars and spotting scopes are to be improved, the improvement should be related to a different aspect.

Being a researcher and engineer, I kept thinking how we could make our beloved optics better and around 2007, I made my first "optics" invention! Since then I have made a few more "real" and "useful" improvements to sporting optics. If you care about creating "better" binoculars or spotting scopes (such as one that you don't need to put your eyes right on its exit pupil!), feel free to contact me. I would appreciate any help, advice or thoughts on how make/license/commercialize these new inventions. If you also want to join hands and invest, I welcome that too.

You can reach me via a private message here on the forum or via direct email : omid.jahromi 'AT' gmail DOT com

Sincerely,
Dr. Omid Jahromi

Last edited by Omid : Saturday 5th March 2016 at 20:15.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: