Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Advice on selling Swarovski EL 8x32 binos

Old Sunday 13th March 2016, 14:07   #1
Paul1963

Advice on selling Swarovski EL 8x32 binos

Around six months ago I bought some of the latest model EL 8x32 binoculars. I'm not really using them continuing to use my previous Nikons (I just prefer the way they handle). Consequently I have been thinking about selling them. I did look at selling them to the trade and was offered a laughable price - so am wondering about a private sale. My question is where would the best place to sell them be? I do realise there is a sales section on this forum and have also looked at Ebay as a possibility - but does anyone know of another way to make a private sale on such an item?

I am UK based.
Old Sunday 13th March 2016, 16:15   #2
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1963 View Post
Around six months ago I bought some of the latest model EL 8x32 binoculars. I'm not really using them continuing to use my previous Nikons (I just prefer the way they handle). Consequently I have been thinking about selling them. I did look at selling them to the trade and was offered a laughable price - so am wondering about a private sale. My question is where would the best place to sell them be? I do realise there is a sales section on this forum and have also looked at Ebay as a possibility - but does anyone know of another way to make a private sale on such an item?

I am UK based.
I would try Ebay UK.
Old Sunday 13th March 2016, 16:30   #3
cycleguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I would try Ebay UK.
I would avoid ebay. All risk and burden is on the seller thru the ebay money back guarantee program. All the buyer has to do is say that the item isn't as described and ebay steps in and makes the seller return funds to the buyer and pay all shipping costs. Believe it or not, there are people out there that will take advantage of trying merchandise at the seller's costs.

My .02,

CG
Old Sunday 13th March 2016, 16:56   #4
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
I would avoid ebay. All risk and burden is on the seller thru the ebay money back guarantee program. All the buyer has to do is say that the item isn't as described and ebay steps in and makes the seller return funds to the buyer and pay all shipping costs. Believe it or not, there are people out there that will take advantage of trying merchandise at the seller's costs.

My .02,

CG
I don't know about that. I have over 1458 positive feedbacks so I have quite a bit of experience buying and selling on Ebay. Yes, the burden is on the seller but that is the way it should be. The seller is responsible to properly describe the item they are selling so the buyer knows exactly what they are getting. If the buyer doesn't get the item the seller is describing the buyer has recourse through the Ebay dispute program. I have never had a seller come back on me because I have always honestly and accurately described the item I was selling. Now a few times I have received an item that wasn't "As Described" but by communicating with the seller or as a last resort using the Ebay money back program I have received satisfaction. There is MORE risk buying an item through Ebay because there are a few unscrupulous sellers out there but they are few and far between. You have to weigh the risk with the benefit of often times getting an item at well below retail price. Overall, I am very satisfied with the items I have purchased on Ebay but be cautious. See how long the seller has been a member of Ebay and check their feedback closely and READ what people have said. A lot of people are reluctant to leave negative feedback even if the seller deserves it. I just bought a brand new pair of Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W binoculars for $625.00 from Canada and they are excellent and I have no problems what so ever.
Old Sunday 13th March 2016, 17:04   #5
LesR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1963 View Post

I am UK based.
I have sold both a pair of Zeiss binoculars and a Celestron Regal F_ED spotting scope through both Preloved and Gumtree in the Uk. There is no charge and you can upload photos. I first advertised these on this forums For Sale section, but after no takers, opted for the previously mentioned and both sold within a couple of weeks. I avoided Ebay because of their charges.
Hope this helps.

Les
Old Sunday 13th March 2016, 22:10   #6
ceasar

They are popular binoculars.

Set a price (it is required) and post it here in the "Classified Thread" for a set period of time.

It is even possible that some birder living near you may be interested and you can meet for a possible sale.

If it doesn't sell you can always go e-Bay.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th March 2016, 03:47   #7
cycleguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I don't know about that. I have over 1458 positive feedbacks so I have quite a bit of experience buying and selling on Ebay. Yes, the burden is on the seller but that is the way it should be. The seller is responsible to properly describe the item they are selling so the buyer knows exactly what they are getting. If the buyer doesn't get the item the seller is describing the buyer has recourse through the Ebay dispute program. I have never had a seller come back on me because I have always honestly and accurately described the item I was selling. Now a few times I have received an item that wasn't "As Described" but by communicating with the seller or as a last resort using the Ebay money back program I have received satisfaction. There is MORE risk buying an item through Ebay because there are a few unscrupulous sellers out there but they are few and far between. You have to weigh the risk with the benefit of often times getting an item at well below retail price. Overall, I am very satisfied with the items I have purchased on Ebay but be cautious. See how long the seller has been a member of Ebay and check their feedback closely and READ what people have said. A lot of people are reluctant to leave negative feedback even if the seller deserves it. I just bought a brand new pair of Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W binoculars for $625.00 from Canada and they are excellent and I have no problems what so ever.
It doesn't matter if you have 100% positive feedback on hundreds of items as a seller. At this point it becomes a "he said" "she said" scenario and ebay will favor the buyer. Yes there is a grievance process, automated, and you get a short paragraph of about 100 words to explain your case, and there will be an automated response which will go the way of the buyer. Even worse, the buyer can damage the product and claim "item not as described" and you have to take it back, return all funds, and pay for all shipping. AND, ebay may not return the listing & selling fees they charged. NO Dennis this isn't right.... seller's work hard to achieve their 100% positive feedback on sales of hundreds of items. Don't see how you can say this is the way it should be..

CG
Old Tuesday 15th March 2016, 20:43   #8
Paul1963

Thanks for your advice folks - I think I might try them on here first and then go from there :)
Old Tuesday 22nd March 2016, 11:49   #9
Haz3

Hi Paul,
Cloudynights and Astromart (requires a subscription) are other venues where you might find potential buyers for quality binoculars.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: