Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

"Harriet's Sunbird" and Helen's Spot-necked babbler

Old Friday 10th June 2016, 09:27   #1
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

"Harriet's Sunbird" and Helen's Spot-necked babbler

While looking (in vain) for the Helena (or Helen) in Parotia helenae (in the thread Helena's Parotia, here) I suddenly stumbled upon two other birds …

Thereby, here´s some minor additions on the Eponyms harrietae and helenae that I picked up along the way, commemorating one (and the same) or two different Women .. !?

● as in the invalid "Æthopyga gouldiæ harrietæ" DELACOUR & GREENWAY 1940 (here)
Quote:
Nommé en l’honneur de Mrs. James C. Greenway.
● and the subspecies Stachyris strialata/striolata helenae DELACOUR & GREENWAY 1939 (here)
Quote:
Named in honour of Mrs. J. Greenway.
Explained in today's HBW Alive Key as:
Quote:
Quote:
harrietae
Helen Harriet Greenway (fl. 1940) wife of US ornithologist James C. Greenway, Jr. (per Wynne 1969) (but according to Greenway's obituarist, F. Vuilleumier, 1992, his wife was Mary Frances Greenway née Oakes) (cf. Harriet Greenway née Lauder (fl. 1903) mother of James C. Greenway, Jr. (per Beolens et al. 2014)) (see helenae) (syn. Aethopyga gouldiae dabryii).
Quote:
helenae
[…]
● “Named in honour of Mrs J. Greenway” (Delacour & Greenway 1939) (see harrietae) (subsp. Stachyris striolata).
Mary Frances Greenway née Oakes was the second wife of James "Jim" Cowan Greenway, Jr. (1903–1989). They married in 1961.

Clearly must be commemorating an earlier wife …

I had the impression that James C. Greenway Jr. married a Helen Scott in 1931 (later divorced), but if he did and if she´s equal of Wynne's suggested "Helen Harriet Greenway" I do not know. *

However I doubt the quotes above would be phrased in such a way if it was intended for his Mother, but it sure could be!? She was also a "Mrs. James C. Greenway", hence his Father (1877–1976) had the same name (but, of course, no "Jr." ). Both his Father and his Mother, Harriet Miller Lauder (1879–1959), was still around when the OD was published.

I guess the main question is: if commemorating the one and same wife why alter the name?

None of the above mentioned Eponyms are on my "Swedish List" of Etymologies to look-in-to, thereby I will leave them at this, but I thought I ought to mention it, as I found this info.

If of any use?

Björn
__________________________________________________ ____________
*Almost frighteningly similar to the persons discussed in the Parotia thread:
Harriet and Helena Scott (later Mrs. Morgan resp. Mrs. Forde), some odd 40 years apart!?

Last edited by Calalp : Friday 10th June 2016 at 16:20. Reason: typo
Old Saturday 11th June 2016, 11:39   #2
Taphrospilus

I am just curious. How did you come to this conclusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
I had the impression that James C. Greenway Jr. married a Helen Scott in 1931 (later divorced), but if he did and if she´s equal of Wynne's suggested "Helen Harriet Greenway" I do not know.
Assume the rest is from here. But of course vigilant analysis.
Old Saturday 11th June 2016, 13:07   #3
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
I am just curious. How did you come to this conclusion?.
Not really a conclusion ... but here, down the page. Whatever its worth?

The main issue was to point out that he married Harriet in 1961, excluding her from being the "Mrs. James C. Greenway" in 1940.

That´s all.
Old Saturday 11th June 2016, 15:43   #4
l_raty
laurent raty

- A James Cowan Greenway Jr. having married Helen Livingston Scott: also [here]
- Hugh Davids Scott Greenway, born 8 May 1935, son of James Cowen [sic] Greenway and Helen Livingston (Scott) Greenway: [here] (see also [here]/[here]: Helen L. Scott, 1903-1985).
- In 1960, this Hugh Davids Scott Greenway married Joy Beverly Brooks: this was reported in local newspapers [here], [here]. From these, it can be deduced that, in addition to Hugh Davids Scott, "Mr. and Mrs. James Cowan Greenway Jr. of Wellesley, Mass." also had another son, James Cowan Greenway 3rd (of Greenwich, Conn.), who acted as the best man at the marriage, and a daughter, Miss Helen Livingston Greenway (of Wellesley, Mass.), who was one of the bridesmaids.

In JC Greenway's obituary (published in Auk [pdf]), Vuilleumier wrote:
Quote:
Personal reasons, rather than professional ones, apparently made Jim decide to leave Cambridge in 1960 and return to the family estate in Connecticut. It is next to impossible to know what happened in Jim's life to make him move back to Greenwich, but some of us heard rumors that, today, would make the gossip columns of social papers. In any case, Jim seems never to have returned to the MCZ.
Wellesley, Mass., though not mentioned by Vuilleumier, is only 13 miles by road from the MCZ, Cambridge, Mass. The obituary mentions a family estate in Greenwich, Connecticut, which is where his other son was said to reside in the marriage accounts. In other words, geographical details seem to fit quite well too - making the possibility of a homonym slight at best, I think.

What does not fit, of course, is the name of his wife - there's no "Harriet" in "Helen Livingston Scott".

(And thus the sunbird is presumably named after his mother, as Björn suggests above.)

Last edited by l_raty : Saturday 11th June 2016 at 19:33.
Old Sunday 12th June 2016, 07:48   #5
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

In 1938 James Cowan Greenway Jr. apparently was married to Helen Livingston Scott (1903–1980) making her a strong candidate: here.

Sure makes me wonder who Wynne's "Helen Harriet Greenway" was?

Yet another wife?
Old Sunday 12th June 2016, 08:40   #6
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
Yet another wife?
Or maybe just an unfortunate hypothesis?
If you accept without question that harrietae was named after Greenway's wife (based on the OD, not realising that his father had the same name as him), but trace this wife as "Helen Greenway", there is some logic in assuming that Harriet must have been her middle name.

Hugh Davids Scott Greenway's marriage accounts (in local journals of June 1960, links in my previous post above) do not suggest at all that his parents ("Mr. and Mrs. James Cowan Greenway Jr. of Wellesley, Mass.") were separated. I suspect that the "personal reasons" alluded to by Vuilleumier, whatever they were, that "made Jim decide to leave Cambridge in 1960 and return to the family estate in Connecticut" may also have been what resulted in his divorce from Helen. If so, there is no real room for yet another wife.

Last edited by l_raty : Sunday 12th June 2016 at 10:27.
Old Sunday 12th June 2016, 13:17   #7
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
Or maybe just an unfortunate hypothesis?
From all you wrote, I absolutely agree to your analysis. Of couse same for Björns input.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: