Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Coul Links, Embo under threat - RSPB petition

Old Tuesday 28th November 2017, 18:09   #1
Muso

Coul Links, Embo under threat - RSPB petition

Coul Links, a rare duneland habitat on the Sutherland coast in Scotland is being threatened with destruction by plans submitted to build a golf course.

These dunes run to Loch Fleet, and together with Loch Fleet, Coul Links is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), an international Special Protection Area and Ramsar site. Which doesn't seem to count for much.

RSPB is looking for support to challenge this proposed golf course, and to save a very special area, which supports an unbelievable amount of wildlife, including rare and declining species.

On a personal note, I've been going there regularly since 1978, and it is my favourite place in the world, largely due to the unspoilt natural environment and the conservation work carried out over many years.

It's hard for me to think that this wonderful place can be wiped out by a money-making franchise, as we saw with the Aberdeen golf course fiasco.

The closing date for submissions re the planning application is 22nd December. If you can, please help RSPB voice their objection.

Read more, and access the petition at: http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/our...ul-links.aspx?

Thanks

Ian
Old Monday 4th December 2017, 08:52   #2
Murmur

Seriously? Someone wants ANOTHER golf course round there? Are all the others empty or broken or something?
Old Monday 4th December 2017, 19:47   #3
Muso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmur View Post
Seriously? Someone wants ANOTHER golf course round there? Are all the others empty or broken or something?
Hi Murmur - Fairly unbelievable, but true. There are currently 6 golf courses within an 18 mile radius of Dornoch, 4 of them within 13 miles, including Royal Dornoch. And only one habitat like this. There is a video at the link below which spells it out.

http://www.notcoul.com/
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 01:43   #4
Muso

Just to put it into perspective, Coul Links lies right next to Loch Fleet (NNR), which lies next to native woodland. Difficult to see how wiping out part of the environment wouldn't have a knock-on effect. Here's what you could have won...

From Loch Fleet NNR webpage http://www.nnr-scotland.org.uk/loch-fleet/ and my own observation:

Habitats
Sand dunes, Heath, Sand flats, Saltmarsh, Native pinewoods, Eel grass beds, Seashore.

Rare plants
Creeping lady’s-tresses, (one of the few British orchids that is almost exclusive to Scotland), the delicate twinflower, and rarer still, one-flowered wintergreen.

Birds
Arctic tern, common tern, crested tit, crossbill, cuckoo, house martin, long-tailed duck, redstart, siskin, snipe, sparrowhawk, treecreeper, willow warbler.

My List
Bar-tailed godwit, blue tit, buzzard, chaffinch, coal tit, cormorant, crow, curlew, divers, dunlin, eider, gannet, goldeneye, goldfinch, goosander, great spotted woodpecker, great tit, grey heron, grey wagtail, greylag goose, guillemot, gulls (various eg GBBG, BHG, Herring), hooded crow, jackdaw, kestrel, knot, lapwing, long-tailed tit, mallard, manx shearwater, meadow pipit, osprey, oystercatcher, pied wagtail, pink-footed goose, razorbill, red kite, red-breasted merganser, redshank, ringed plover, robin, sanderling, sandwich tern, shelduck, skylark, slavonian grebe, starling, stonechat, swallow, teal, turnstone, wheatear, wigeon, wren.

Butterflies
Green hairstreak, small heath, small blue, dark green fritillary, grayling, speckled wood, painted lady, peacock (tick), small tortoiseshell (tick).
Butterflies around Loch Fleet are monitored as part of the UK Butterfly Monitoring Scheme.

Moths
Six-spot burnet moth, mother shipton, fox moth caterpillar (tick).

Mammals & cetaceans
Common seal (tick), dolphin (tick), otter (European Protected Species) common pipistrelle bats (European Protected Species), roe deer (tick), red squirrel, fox, pine marten, stoat, weasel.

Not much compared to golf and profit. Wonder if I could afford a round....?

Thanks for your support.

Ian
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 13:44   #5
Murmur

We were in that part of the world in September on our annual Highlands and Islands jaunt and visited Loch Fleet, Balblair Wood and Dornoch: I stopped counting the golf courses, so I'll take your word for the numbers.

And if one goes a bit further afield there are even more of the buggers - we were staying on the Black Isle for that leg.

We've signed the petition and I am going to read the full planning application to see how many holes I can poke in it before contacting the council and the relevant minister: it is usually not too hard to take apart the "tourism = money for the area" arguments, especially when the company behind a scheme has no connection to the area so any profit goes elsewhere (it helps having a partner who used to work in the hotel trade and knows what happens to the money and who is paid what).
Old Tuesday 5th December 2017, 16:34   #6
Muso

Quote:
We were in that part of the world in September on our annual Highlands and Islands jaunt and visited Loch Fleet, Balblair Wood and Dornoch: I stopped counting the golf courses, so I'll take your word for the numbers.

And if one goes a bit further afield there are even more of the buggers - we were staying on the Black Isle for that leg.

We've signed the petition and I am going to read the full planning application to see how many holes I can poke in it before contacting the council and the relevant minister: it is usually not too hard to take apart the "tourism = money for the area" arguments, especially when the company behind a scheme has no connection to the area so any profit goes elsewhere (it helps having a partner who used to work in the hotel trade and knows what happens to the money and who is paid what).
Brilliant Murmur! Glad you've been there and have "felt" the place. Really appreciate your support and determination! Posted 3 pix from Embo in the gallery, and aim to continue that theme over the next few days, with this thread link on them.

Best

Ian
Old Saturday 9th December 2017, 11:48   #7
Murmur

Well, I have started ploughing my way through the planning application documents...

The local council don't make it easy as several, including part of the economic impact report, aren't available and, because many are up as PDFs, it's hard to follow up the supporting literature 'cos no live links and no copypasta of references...

So far I am not very impressed with the economic impact report - it's the usual commissioned stuff which is slanted to what the developer (especially a very wealthy one) wants, with a lot of supposition, a lot of "could", a lot of "assume", a helping of quoting from another report from that bastion of objectivity, KPMG, which I haven't tracked down yet, then a bunch of ignoring any negative effects of golf tourism, i.e. putting off folk who visit for wildlife or other natural history reasons or other things entirely.

I intend to go further into some of this, but if I can't part of my objection will be that the council is failing to make relevant information available for us to comment on.

Having an environmental science degree and a bit of practice in cost-benefit analysis and arguing over land use comes in handy every now and then - as some of our parish council have found out...
Old Sunday 10th December 2017, 12:48   #8
Murmur

Oh, excellent! None of the documentation is currently available to read on-line...It's almost like someone doesn't want folk to be able to offer any reasoned criticism of the proposals.
Old Sunday 10th December 2017, 19:19   #9
Muso

Imagine that....! Douglas Adams definitely nailed this in Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy...! Don't think they could ignore "Freedom of Information" requests though....? Worth a try.
Old Wednesday 20th December 2017, 09:01   #10
Murmur

Up to yesterday the supporting documents remained unavailable to view on-line: I informed the Notcoul campaign of this; I did make an objection to the proposal, most of which centred on the planning process not being properly observed, with some comment on the economic impact report I had been able to read.

And I managed to avoid the leopard
Old Friday 22nd December 2017, 14:52   #11
Muso

Excellent Murmur! Really appreciate your support and activity, as well as your knowledge and expertise. Somewhere in the back of my lizard brain there is the thought that they made their mind up a long time ago, and that the god of money is destined to win out, despite already knowing how the Trump Aberdeen nonsense played out, and despite the voice of the people.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this thread, and big thanks to those who then did something about it. Today is the submission deadline. Next move (assuming the worst) is to put on my dressing gown and go and lie in front of the bulldozers, a la Arthur Dent.

A very merry Christmas to all.

Ian
Old Monday 25th December 2017, 12:04   #12
Murmur

Well, it seems churlish not to put all that state provided education (not to mention the years of experience arguing with managers and critically appraising various proposals that the NHS gave me) to some class of good use.

It is strange (not!) how as soon as large sums of money and the magic mantra of "Jobs! Jobs!" appear planning departments seem to roll over and ask for their stomachs to be tickled - even if the jobs part does not actually stack up...
Old Thursday 8th February 2018, 17:57   #13
Muso

Interesting article in this thread posted by JTweedie...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=356087
Old Saturday 28th April 2018, 10:50   #14
Murmur

The local authority has re-opened this proposal for public comment until 25th May.

See here - http://www.notcoul.com/object.html - for further details.

Now, have the council sorted out their website so I can actually read the developer's supporting information and take one of my well-honed kitchen knives to it, as the small part I was allowed access to was pretty poor...
Old Wednesday 2nd May 2018, 02:24   #15
Muso

Thanks for this Murmur - looking like this will be the very last chance to voice objections. Was up in Embo in April and talked to several locals - they all regard it as a done deal...
Old Tuesday 8th May 2018, 03:23   #16
mjh73

Wait til the UK 'takes back control' from that communist tree hugging fascist EU and winds back all that pesky red / green tape that's been holding the country back......planning forms reduced to a tick box - the more points the quicker your application is approved.....

"How would you like to denude the environment? [tick all that apply]:

- Housing development
[2 points for posh housing, -1 point for social housing]

- Industrial development
[2 points, plus 1 point for each of air / water / sound / light pollution achieved, extra 2 points for human health risks to surrounding populace]

- Grouse moor
[5 points as clearly only for posh people]

- Golf course
[1 points, +1 point for each socio-economic group excluded by the cost of the membership fee, +5 points if it's over a nature reserve]

- Stately country estate
[10 points]

- Other as yet to be determined tax dodge
[sliding point scale proportionate to the party political donation received]

Please PLEASE don't show this to Rees-Mogg as it will be in the manifesto quicker than you can saw gfaw-gfaw chaps.

Owner Acanthiza Ornithology - Thornbill Tours
www.acanthiza.com.au

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th May 2018, 14:19   #17
Murmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muso View Post
Thanks for this Murmur - looking like this will be the very last chance to voice objections. Was up in Embo in April and talked to several locals - they all regard it as a done deal...
IME that's how quite a few developers work: they fill the local press (who are frequently totally supine and useless) with what appears to be many independent press releases touting the benefits of the development; put on a few "meet the locals" events at which they exaggerate the "benefits" of their scheme, conduct a spurious poll of who is in favour, deliberately excluding anyone who has asked awkward questions; get a few tame local councillors on board somehow; and before they have even submitted the planning application most folk are talking about it as if it is going to happen.

Certainly seen that approach tried a couple of times round here on the former opencast land to the west.

Re the Coul golf course: the economic papers were just rubbish, mostly nicked with minimal attribution from a "give us a job" report by KPMG, and tied together by a bunch of conflict of interest interviews, with no-one who might offer an alternative view in sight.
Old Tuesday 19th June 2018, 23:06   #18
Muso

Latest from Notcoul

Update press release from NotCoul on 6th June.

http://www.notcoul.com/press.html

I also posted pix from Embo in April to BF gallery today, more to follow.
Old Wednesday 20th June 2018, 00:07   #19
Ravis

Loch Fleet

Thanks very much for your work and dedication to this beautiful area.
Old Wednesday 20th June 2018, 15:52   #20
Muso

Surprise, surprise...or am I just getting more cynical. Expected this from the get-go...money in your pocket is better than a bird in the bush. Another 3 pix from Embo in the gallery today. Make the most of them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-44537876
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 13:38   #21
Muso

Now that Highland Councillors have given the golf course the go-ahead, RSBP are trying to get the government to intervene. Last chance to lodge an objection. Please have a look, and do what you can. Thanks.

https://e-activist.com/page/25176/ac...callinJune2018
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 12:39   #22
Murmur

Given the SNP's recent poor record on environmental matters (is it me or have they reverted to being the Tartan Tories in that regard?) I'm not holding my breath.

And, my, my, but the astro-turfers are out in the comments on some media reports about this one.

Will use that contact link though.

Last edited by Murmur : Sunday 24th June 2018 at 12:41. Reason: To make sense of one sentence.
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 14:43   #23
Muso

Quote:
Given the SNP's recent poor record on environmental matters (is it me or have they reverted to being the Tartan Tories in that regard?) I'm not holding my breath.

And, my, my, but the astro-turfers are out in the comments on some media reports about this one.

Will use that contact link though.
Thanks Murmur - I did happen to mention that in my email to them...learning from past mistakes, etc. Don't think it will do any good, though - don't suppose I ever thought there would be any other outcome since I first came across this, but had to do something. Appreciate your input.

Ian
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 18:53   #24
Ladybudd

This is my very first post, only having joined earlier today. Having perused various forum threads in the last several hours, I happened on this one by pure chance. But hey, fate and karma happen for a reason right? I've signed the petition and have added an very strongly (but appropriateworded letter attached. So I would hope that my short time here might have even a bit of impact on something so very dear to my heart personally. Although I now reside in Kent, my family also hails from Scotland, and as a former US citizen and now proud British one, my very heart, soul and pen is now dedicated to helping my cherished adopted home to hopefully avoid the sort of irreversible damage I had witnessed in my former homeland. Thank you for welcoming me to this site, and thank you for allowing me a small chance to make another voice heard. Warm regards from the weald, ladybudd
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 18:58   #25
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2019

Hi Ladybudd and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thank you for helping with this petition.

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: