Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swift nest boxes on house being sold

Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 16:24   #1
blue jack

Swift nest boxes on house being sold

Hello! We have 4 swift nest boxes on our house of which at least two have used to breed in successfully by swift pairs. We want to move/sell our property but am worried any future owner may take these boxes down. Does any one know if there is a legal clause I can put down that says that any future owner cannot take them down? Any help with this would be appreciated
Thanks!

Last edited by KC Foggin : Wednesday 26th December 2018 at 16:55.
Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 16:54   #2
crapbirder

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981 it is an offence to intentionally take, damage or destroy a wild bird’s nest while it’s being used or built. Preventing a nest box from removal at any other time would be difficult to enforce I would suggest.
Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 16:55   #3
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

I know here in the States you cannot disturb an active nesting bird or its nest but I don't know if there are any laws concerning empty nest boxes, here or in your Country. Hopefully someone from your side of the pond will have some answers for you.

In the meantime, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

Last edited by delia todd : Wednesday 26th December 2018 at 17:16.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 17:06   #4
dantheman
Bah humbug

Obviously you don't want to jeopardise a sale, but find out from the potential new owners if they are likely to keep them up. Also find out if any of your neighbours want the boxes and offer to donate them/put them up perhaps. If you don't know your neighbours that well, maybe even go door-knocking, you never know...

Don't know the facts of how far Swifts look for nests but presumably they would be good at looking in the immediate vicinity. There's also a Swift nesting website I've come across before, may be able to help.

Edit: probably this one: https://www.swift-conservation.org/

Last edited by dantheman : Wednesday 26th December 2018 at 17:09.
Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 18:39   #5
DMW

It may be possible to achieve this by creating a restrictive covenant, but you would obviously need to obtain legal advice.

Last edited by Fritz73 : Wednesday 26th December 2018 at 21:51.
Old Thursday 27th December 2018, 00:34   #6
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbirder View Post
Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981 it is an offence to intentionally take, damage or destroy a wild birds nest while its being used or built. Preventing a nest box from removal at any other time would be difficult to enforce I would suggest.
Is there no law protecting the nests of dedicated "structure breeders" off-season? We have one in Germany, and I'd think that as it's based on EU law, there might be an equivalent in the UK.

Other than that, I guess it might be worth a try to talk to local bird preservation people. They might also have advice on how to best "sell" the swifts to new owners, as I'm sure this is a recurring challenge.

Regards,

Henning
Old Friday 28th December 2018, 16:44   #7
blue jack

Thanks all for your replies. I'm sure there must be an agreement that can put in place between my self and any new owner, especially if it has been described in the sale particulars. I can't bare the thought of the nests being taken down. I will seek legal advice from a conveyancing solicitor.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: