Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Chris Packham CBE

Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 11:51   #26
dantheman
Bah humbug

The shooting fraternity etc must love it - some bloke doing good/excellent stuff for conservation and we're all questioning it/arguing about whether he is entitled to the house he has. Give us a break!

It really is kind of irrelevant where he got his money from, unless there's a question of impropriety/syphoning of charitable funds, which don't think there is any question of?!!

Presumably John C is right in that he earnt it - endorsements, speaking fees etc etc. as anyone at the top in any field does. (Although obviously as a conservationatist he should be wearing sackcloths and living in a hovel). But he may have inherited his money, his partner could have, or he could have sold a manky bit of property in a central london location and moved to the country. I couldn't care less to be honest!!!

And tbh, whilst people are entitled to their opinions (or to troll), it's a bit sad. Maybe we should do a rich list of all those involved in conservation and the various fields of wildlife filming, biology, ecology etc and moan about them too, instead of being a tad grateful for what they have actually achieved ...
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 12:24   #27
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
The shooting fraternity etc must love it - some bloke doing good/excellent stuff for conservation and we're all questioning it/arguing about whether he is entitled to the house he has. Give us a break!

It really is kind of irrelevant where he got his money from, unless there's a question of impropriety/syphoning of charitable funds, which don't think there is any question of?!!

Presumably John C is right in that he earnt it - endorsements, speaking fees etc etc. as anyone at the top in any field does. (Although obviously as a conservationatist he should be wearing sackcloths and living in a hovel). But he may have inherited his money, his partner could have, or he could have sold a manky bit of property in a central london location and moved to the country. I couldn't care less to be honest!!!

And tbh, whilst people are entitled to their opinions (or to troll), it's a bit sad. Maybe we should do a rich list of all those involved in conservation and the various fields of wildlife filming, biology, ecology etc and moan about them too, instead of being a tad grateful for what they have actually achieved ...
What a massive, ridiculous over reaction to a fairly inane question which was out of nothing more than curiosity.

Where did I or anyone anyone question his right to own the property and where did I 'moan'. About three people here arguing and making a fuss of which you're one. You made one of your usual, flippant comments abdout me and the Daily Mail, you're the one twisting words and interpreting those of others so you can be outraged. You omit to mention another post where I say I quite like him, but it clearly doesn't fit your agenda to mention that does it.

He's not a member of the Rolling Stones and I'd have thought he would be quite low on the BBC payscale so I was surprised to see his property, no more than that but carry on being outraged and making a scene, it's what you like to do.

Yes it is sad, from the little band of snowflakes on here, who can always be counted on to leap on the most innocent of comments and twist it to suit their own agenda.......move along, nothing to see here, I won't justify my curiosity to you or anyone else.

Last edited by andyadcock : Sunday 30th December 2018 at 13:11.
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 13:31   #28
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
What a massive, ridiculous over reaction to a fairly inane question which was out of nothing more than curiosity.

Where did I or anyone anyone question his right to own the property and where did I 'moan'. About three people here arguing and making a fuss of which you're one. You made one of your usual, flippant comments abdout me and the Daily Mail, you're the one twisting words and interpreting those of others so you can be outraged. You omit to mention another post where I say I quite like him, but it clearly doesn't fit your agenda to mention that does it.

He's not a member of the Rolling Stones and I'd have thought he would be quite low on the BBC payscale so I was surprised to see his property, no more than that but carry on being outraged and making a scene, it's what you like to do.

Yes it is sad, from the little band of snowflakes on here, who can always be counted on to leap on the most innocent of comments and twist it to suit their own agenda.......move along, nothing to see here, I won't justify my curiosity to you or anyone else.

It's a standing joke that the Daily Mail always quotes the price of someone's house when they do a story on them, hence my flippant/jokey comment about you and the daily mail.

No-one's getting particularly het up, to be honest, apart from the person in #post 17 accusing people of being liberal muppets and using the online expletive FFS.

;-)

Happy New Year.

Last edited by dantheman : Sunday 30th December 2018 at 13:36.
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 14:30   #29
andyadcock

Quote:
It's a standing joke that the Daily Mail always quotes the price of someone's house when they do a story on them, hence my flippant/jokey comment about you and the daily mail.

No-one's getting particularly het up, to be honest, apart from the person in #post 17 accusing people of being liberal muppets and using the online expletive FFS.

;-)

Happy New Year.
Several paragraphs in post 26 would suggest otherwise.

'Oh and Sir, Sir, he swore Sir,' no doubt some punishment will come my way as you clearly intended by pointing this out ......get a life

Last edited by andyadcock : Sunday 30th December 2018 at 14:32.
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 15:12   #30
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Several paragraphs in post 26 would suggest otherwise.

'Oh and Sir, Sir, he swore Sir,' no doubt some punishment will come my way as you clearly intended by pointing this out
True I may have used too many exclamations points in re-reading, yes, but I'm not particularly stressed, no. Might be a bit annoyed, but guess it's all rather pointless anyway. Probably shouldn't have put the 'troll' word in.

Online swearing - well, no need to argue the point I guess. It's a family-friendly forum (or whatever the phrase is), and not everyone swears, but I guess there's no rules on it as such. If you want to swear whenever someone says something you don't agree with then I guess that's your prerogative.

Get a life? - Thanks!

Last edited by dantheman : Sunday 30th December 2018 at 15:35.
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 16:23   #31
Sandra (Taylor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
For goodness sake, he's been at the top of his game for decades during which he's been in numerous programmes as a high profile TV personality/presenter, has written books, has written the odd bit of journalism and has had the chance to earn money in other ways so it's not surprising that he has got a pleasant house in a nice place (which, for all we know, may have been run down when he bought it) but what the hell does it matter? Frankly, how much he may have earnt over the years, where and how he lives is totally insignificant compared to his role in promoting and campaigning for conservation (on which he spends a good deal of his own cash). So bravo Chris Packham!
Well said!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 17:46   #32
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Yep, well done to Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
This award also suggests the honours system is not completely broken yet.
The middle and lower ranks of awards have always been reasonable, it's at the top (knighthoods) that it really stinks
Quote:
... or he could have sold a manky bit of property in a central london location ...
That's quite likely - selling a broom cupboard in London could buy you a mansion in some parts of the country
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwinbermuda View Post
The outstanding example of this is his attitude to the Giant Panda, I seem to remember him saying that he'd happily eat the last one alive if the money spent on its conservation was redistibuted to more worthy causes.
I'd disagree there - saving Giant Pandas results in huge areas of high quality habitat saved for vast numbers of other species, which would get nothing if it wasn't for the 'cute' species spread thinly at the top. Who is going to pay money to buy land to save the threatened species Farges's Fir Abies fargesii? No-one. But it occurs in panda reserves, and that preserves its habitat
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 18:03   #33
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Yep, well done to Chris!

The middle and lower ranks of awards have always been reasonable, it's at the top (knighthoods) that it really stinks

That's quite likely - selling a broom cupboard in London could buy you a mansion in some parts of the country

I'd disagree there - saving Giant Pandas results in huge areas of high quality habitat saved for vast numbers of other species, which would get nothing if it wasn't for the 'cute' species spread thinly at the top. Who is going to pay money to buy land to save the threatened species Farges's Fir Abies fargesii? No-one. But it occurs in panda reserves, and that preserves its habitat
That habitat is mainly bamboo which is a problem becaues once it flowers, it dies.
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 18:08   #34
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
That habitat is mainly bamboo which is a problem becaues once it flowers, it dies.
So you need to set up huge reserves for land enough to carry enough different cycles of bamboos, plus the corridors between them - exactly my point
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 18:30   #35
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
So you need to set up huge reserves for land enough to carry enough different cycles of bamboos, plus the corridors between them - exactly my point
But is it a prolific habitat for other species that also benefit, I'm not sure? I always think of Bamboo as equivalent to a Pine Forest in which you can walk for hours without seeing anything - other than Pine that is?
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 22:15   #36
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
But is it a prolific habitat for other species that also benefit, I'm not sure? I always think of Bamboo as equivalent to a Pine Forest in which you can walk for hours without seeing anything - other than Pine that is?
It's patches of bamboo scattered among a highly diverse habitat. SW China has - by far - the highest temperate climate biodiversity of anywhere in the [temperate] world, very nearly as diverse as tropical rainforests; panda reserves incorporate big swathes of it.
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 15:47   #37
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

And a Happy and peaceful New Year to you both, a Birdforum belter of a thread this one
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 17:06   #38
Lisa W
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

You are straying off topic, please stay on topic and quit the sniping at each other.

My birding photos
RV Travel Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 31st December 2018, 18:10   #39
Johann Sebastian Bach

Yes, I think Packham's gong is well-deserved, even though the majority of the honours system stinks of corruption and nepotism.

I also think he deserves to be well paid and to be able to afford a big house (not that that's any of my business).

For all I know, he may also have a posh car, eat pickled lampreys off a silver platter and have the Berlin Philharmonic turn up en masse on his doorstep to play "Happy Birthday".

He richly deserves it all.

Peter
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 18:13   #40
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann Sebastian Bach View Post
Yes, I think Packham's gong is well-deserved, even though the majority of the honours system stinks of corruption and nepotism.

I also think he deserves to be well paid and to be able to afford a big house (not that that's any of my business).

For all I know, he may also have a posh car, eat pickled lampreys off a silver platter and have the Berlin Philharmonic turn up en masse on his doorstep to play "Happy Birthday".

He richly deserves it all.

Peter
Hopefully not ...

http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-5164

But yes
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 19:17   #41
Paul Chapman

A colleague nominated and I supported the leader of an action group for mis-sold pensions one year. He got a CBE and I thought the system worked quite well.

If you know someone deserving, get them nominated and supported.

As for Chris Packham, well deserved and with a twenty year broadcasting career, I would not find it surprising if he could have afforded to buy a cottage in the New Forest from his earnings.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Monday 31st December 2018, 19:30   #42
PYRTLE

He rents the property in Hampshire and has bought an isolated place in remote France that needs quite a bit of renovation ( per t'internet ).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: