• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guanay cormorant or Guanay shag (Leucocarbo bougainvillii) (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Hi all,

I would like to understand where the English name of this species comes from,

As far as I was able to find, Guanay is the name of a town in Bolivia, however Bolivia is a landlocked countryand this bird has a coastal distribution (mainly in Peru and Chile).

Any hints?

It might be worth to consult as well the OD in...

Jourrnal de la navigation autour du globe, de la frégate La Thétis et de la corvette L'Espérance, pendant les années 1824, 1825 et 1826 : publié par ordre du roi sous les auspices du Département de la marine

...which I found only the atlas. But Guano makes sense.

Last edited:
From

http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/handle/2246/918

"Accumulated excreta and egesta of this kind are conveniently termed guano, a word derived from the
Quechua huanu, meaning dung, and first applied to the enormous deposits of bird droppings found on the Peruvian coast.

Though the spelling with an initial aspirant is more correct, guano and its derivatives guanera and guanay
are more familiar than the alternative phonetic huano, huanera, and huanay, and so will be used throughout
except in quotation."

What is more intriguing to me is why is there a town in Bolivia called "dung".

P

Hi all,

I would like to understand where the English name of this species comes from,

As far as I was able to find, Guanay is the name of a town in Bolivia, however Bolivia is a landlocked countryand this bird has a coastal distribution (mainly in Peru and Chile).

Any hints?
Gonçalo, it has nothing to do with the Bolivian town Guanay.

See, for example; Collins English Dictionary (here):
guanay
in British English

[...]
NOUN
a white-breasted cormorant, Phalacrocorax bougainvillii, found in Peru and northern Chile
guanay
in American English
[...]
NOUN
a white-breasted, crested cormorant (Phalacrocorax bougainvillii) of Peru and Chile: it is a major source of guano

[...]
Word origin
Sp < the Quechua name
guanay
in American English

[...]
NOUN
Word forms: plural -nayes (-ˈnaieis, Spanish -ˈnɑːjes), -nays
a cormorant, Phalacrocorax bougainvillii, of islands off the coasts of Peru and Chile, a chief source of guano

Also called: guanay cormorant

[...]
Word origin
[1855–60; ‹ AmerSp guanae, appar. as back formation from colonial Sp huanaes, as pl. of huano guano, taken as the name of the bird that produced it]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back