• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current status of Ruddy Duck in Europe? (1 Viewer)

I think if you are working on conservation projects with WH Duck, it would be good to introduce yourself as having this interest before canvassing forum members. Rightly or wrongly, not everyone has the same oulook so it is important people know up front, what you will do with the information once they provide it to you.

I am not working on any conservation programs (not with WH Duck and not with any other species) and I am not at all interested in knowing specific locations for Ruddy Duck. My only purpose with this topic is to get a broad updated picture of the current situation of the species in Europe so that I do not make incorrect statements in the field guide. The guide is only about Portugal, so I am not getting into any detail about what is happening in other countries - I just want to include a brief mention to the countries where this species is still a problem. That's all.

Does this address your concerns?

EDIT
I just read your post - Is this an identification guide for people responsible for controlling invasive species to use in the field? (So they shoot the right ones? - we lost quite a few Pochards (and other ducks ) in the RD cull, through presumably mistaken identity, so I can see why producing a guide just on invasive species (that are breeding) would help with control).

No, it's for birdwatchers only. I only produce information for birdwatchers. You can see my website at www.avesdeportugal.info.

Currently we have no updated field guide for non-native birds (as you know, traditional field guides deal mainly with native birds). We badly need such a guide, so that birdwatchers and photographers can identify the exotics properly. That's what I am working on now.

This guide is not meant for conservationists. As I mentioned on my previous replies, I am not involved with any such conservation programs and besides I don't know of any plans to shoot Ruddy Ducks here in Portugal. In fact, Ruddy Ducks were never a serious problem in Portugal, we had isolated records some years ago, but I think there were none in recent years. Both Ruddy Duck and WH Duck are very rare in this country, the reason I want to include Ruddy Duck in the guide is to make sure that people know how to tell them from WH Duck in case they see one.

I hope that now you are less worried about my intentions.

Here you are Goncalo, some population statistics information as at February 2020 from the Office Français de la biodiversité, let me know if you want me to translate from the French:

Le 25 février 2020, les experts de plusieurs pays européens se sont réunis à Londres pour faire le point sur la lutte contre l’érismature rousse. La France était représentée par l’Office français de la biodiversité, coordinateur du projet LIFE Oxyura qui vise à endiguer la reproduction de ce canard en milieu naturel.

L’érismature rousse est une espèce exotique envahissante originaire d’Amérique. En Europe, elle menace sa cousine à tête blanche, notamment à cause du croisement entre les deux espèces. Pour préserver l’espèce indigène, un plan de lutte européen contre l’érismature rousse a été mis en place.

Le bilan de l’avancement de ce plan d'actions, réalisé en cette fin février, est plutôt favorable :

En France, les effectifs continuent de diminuer avec désormais moins de 60 individus.
Le Royaume-Uni, qui a connu un pic à 6 000 érismatures rousses en 2000, compte désormais seulement 12 individus grâce à l’action conjointe des autorités et de la communauté ornithologique. C’est la première année où aucune reproduction naturelle n’est observée depuis 1953.
Les Pays-Bas restent une source d’inquiétude avec environ 80 oiseaux soumis à une faible pression.

La Belgique ne totalise qu’une dizaine d’individus.

L’Espagne n’observe plus d’érismatures rousses alors que la population d’érismatures à tête blanche se porte bien et compte environ 2 500 individus.
Cet échange fera l’objet d’une recommandation officielle aux États concernés. La France semble en bonne voie pour atteindre une pleine maitrise de cette espèce au profit de la conservation de l’érismature à tête blanche

Rather a generalisation and if you don’t mind me saying, a little passive aggressive yourself.

If you are unhappy, I can be aggressive aggressive. The Ruddy Duck problem and the associated number of ducks killed and the monetary cost were increased several times because 'animal rights' activists delayed the cull. Knowing perfectly that the ducks were breeding, so they are making the problem worse.

Hi Goncala - of course.

As you know, ‘culling’ species can be an emotive issue and BF has members with diverse views. I felt it important people knew what any information they could give you would be used for. In my own experience of working with people that may have negative reaction to conservation policies/ringing/culling - whatever it may be, being fully transparent about one’s methods and the reasons for which something is being carried out gets better results. People can then get on board or not but at least to have the opportunity to make informed choices as to whether they wish to support such work or in the least look the other way.

I wish you luck with the guide :t:

Last edited:
Hi Deb,

You are right, and I agree with you on transparency.

Actually I could have explained it in the first post, it just didn't occur to me that this could be such a sensitive issue.

I just checked some published information from Denmark: A total of 4-5 observations from the last 10 years.

Niels

It's never occured to me to look for them on a local lake near me where they were once common.

Are there any remaining at Colwick Park or in Notts more widely?

I'm fairly sure that numbers in the UK are down to low double figures. As far as I know government agents still try to shoot any that they hear of and can locate, and some people therefore think it right to suppress locations.

The almost regular sightings of White-headed Ducks in England have dried up since Ruddy Ducks migrated down to Spain and Morocco each year, apparently bringing odd White-headeds back with them.

Steve
If I ever saw a ruddy duck I would not hesitate to report it. These birds threaten the white-headed duck and need to be disposed of accordingly.

On the positive side, historically White-headed Ducks bred as far north as southern Netherlands. It could be reintroduced there with relative ease, if Ruddy Ducks were not present.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back