• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada Goose subspecies - B. c. maxima? (1 Viewer)

pjblake

There is grandeur in this view of life
Ottawa, ON: Canada Goose subspecies - B. c. maxima?

Since this is my first posting, let me say "hello" and here's looking forward to many more postings to come.

I recently went about reviewing my many photos, searching for species I didn't know I had seen, and adding them to my life list. In so doing, I learned of the many subspecies of Canada Goose and the recent split of the Canada and Cackling Goose into separate species. When I reviewed my goose photos, I came across this one which I can't identify beyond a shadow of a doubt. I'll let the photos do the talking for me.

At first I thought it might be Branta canadensis maxima, or the Giant Canada Goose, because the whitish spot by the beak is an obvious characteristic. However, B. c. maxima have white chests and bellies, and this bird has a darker, almost dusky chest. While most of the bird is submerged, the chest does stick out enough to judge a colour. Also, this goose was swimming with a flock of about 6 other geese, and it did not seem any bigger than the others. Unfortunately I do not have a photo of this bird with any other goose for comparison, and the sighting was about four months ago, so my memory is a little spotty.

My hunch is that it may be a hybrid of B. c. maxima and B. c. interior, the Todd's or "Interior" subspecies. That would explain the dusky chest, since Todd's has a darker grey/brown chest. In any case, at this point I am stumped. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since identifying subspecies appears to be a full time job.

Attachments

• canadagoose01.jpg
    canadagoose01.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 65
  • canadagoose02.jpg
    canadagoose02.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back