• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

April Moths (1 Viewer)

KenM

Temperatures somewhat lower than 30/31st as were the numbers!
However another ''lifer'' on April 1st...''Striped Shoulder'' plus another or...the previous nights Streamer, Early Thorn, Lunar Marbled Brown, Hebrew Character x2, Early Grey, and a Carpet sp being the highlights. Cheers

Attachments

• P1460207.jpeg  Shoulder Stripe.jpeg
    P1460207.jpeg Shoulder Stripe.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 110
  • P1460203.jpeg  Streamer 2..jpg
    P1460203.jpeg Streamer 2..jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 93
  • P1460330.jpeg   Carpet sp..jpg
    P1460330.jpeg Carpet sp..jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 93
Yesterday evening I noticed a moth larger than the regular micro species fluttering in our spare room, What I presume is the same moth is now settled at the top of the wall + surprised that it's a Small Dusty Wave because the books give June as the start of the flight period. It is a species I regularly get in the garden + wonder whether it could have pupated in the room + the radiator may have advanced its emergence?

This morning I found an Angle Shades at the entrance to my UV trap!....May Is given as the "start" date for this species, although can be found "all year?"....might this suggest an immigrant, as I can't recall getting one this early before.

Cheers

Saw my very first Emperor Moth (a male) this afternoon while birding in Brittany (France). It really was a wonderful sighting !

Yesterday evening I noticed a moth larger than the regular micro species fluttering in our spare room, What I presume is the same moth is now settled at the top of the wall + surprised that it's a Small Dusty Wave because the books give June as the start of the flight period.

Hi
If you want to check flight periods, you can't do better than the Hants Moths website. It gives records from early April.
Martin

This morning I found an Angle Shades at the entrance to my UV trap!....May Is given as the "start" date for this species, although can be found "all year?"....might this suggest an immigrant, as I can't recall getting one this early before.
Cheers

Hi Ken
Again, the Hants Moths website gives records for every moth except December so I wouldn't assume a migrant. It's a species that can be found in almost every stage (egg, larva, pupa and adult) at almost any time of year.
Martin

Hi Ken
Again, the Hants Moths website gives records for every moth except December so I wouldn't assume a migrant. It's a species that can be found in almost every stage (egg, larva, pupa and adult) at almost any time of year.
Martin

Thanks Martin :t:

Yesterday evening I noticed a moth larger than the regular micro species fluttering in our spare room, What I presume is the same moth is now settled at the top of the wall + surprised that it's a Small Dusty Wave because the books give June as the start of the flight period. It is a species I regularly get in the garden + wonder whether it could have pupated in the room + the radiator may have advanced its emergence?

As an add on I've just got back from a morning out + there are now 3 Small Dusty Waves in the room. It's a moth that has got into the house several times in the past so I can only imagine some eggs were laid on a plant indoors for there to be now 3 out of season moths in the room. I don't think the fan light has been open in there so far this year.

Hi Ken
Martin

Whilst we get Angle Shades at any time of year here in Cornwall, it's noticeable that numbers tend to increase whenever there's an influx of other migrant species. So I assume they're both resident and migrants.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back