• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

afghanistan snowfinch? (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
If this is Afghan Snowfinch is it not out of range, being endemic to the Hindu Kush?

The photo was taken here in China near the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan?... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=37%C2%B0+7'39.71%22N+74%C2%B054'6.43%22E&ie=UTF8&ll=32.063956,81.694336&spn=19.859081,40.957031&z=5

I know far too little about separating snowfinches to comment on the ID, though.

Graham

Afghanistan snowfinch found in Afghanistan, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan。
The photo location is near Afghanistan&Tajikistan。There is Afghanistan's Wakhan corridor leading to China。So it is likely。

No doubt, and a nice pic too.

Why? or do you mean, yes it's a Snowfinch in Afghanistan?

xujie/pengkuan

To be honest with you, despite trawling the net rather extensively, I cannot find a single image of Afghan Snowfinch, also know as Theresa's Snowfinch Montifringilla theresae so I would dearly like this rather excellent shot to be of this apparently rare species.

However, looking at various reference sources and illustrations which are presumably based on skins ie Finches and Sparrows by Clement et.al and HBW 14 (where the species is known as Afghan Ground Sparrow), comparisons with this image do not fit IMO. The wing pattern, particularly the primaries are wrong for AS. The primaries should show a rather obvious white wedge midway, the tips to the secondaries should also be dark. I presume these are young birds due to the bill colour and lack of facial markings but to my eye, the features we can see fit White-winged Snowfinch Montifringella nivalis better than the illustrations portray AS. Also, if the illustrations in Clement are accurate, the primary projection/ tip would almost reach the tail tip unlike WWS which fits better with the above image.

I would prefer to be wrong and congratulate you on what may be first decent images of a desired species, but at the moment, I don't think they are Afghan Snowfinch.

Mark

Last edited:
I took Afghanstan as place were the picture was made, not as part of the species name.
Rockfowl, note also the white undertail - coverts which don´t fit with AS.

I presume these are young birds due to the bill colour and lack of facial markings but to my eye, the features we can see fit White-winged Snowfinch Montifringella nivalis better than the illustrations portray AS.

This photo was taken the time in March, how to interpret the judgments on the young birds?

This photo was taken the time in March, how to interpret the judgments on the young birds?

The yellow lower mandible would indicate a younger bird so I would assume that these were second brood from the previous year. Most young snowfinch sp appear to have yellow bills and buffier plumage, lacking adult contrast and often facial markings.

Good luck with the quest.

The yellow lower mandible would indicate a younger bird so I would assume that these were second brood from the previous year. Most young snowfinch sp appear to have yellow bills and buffier plumage, lacking adult contrast and often facial markings.

Good luck with the quest.

Thank you for your attention。
Although very unlikely to find,We still plan to look for around there this month。

White-winged Snowfinch (Montifringilla nivalis) near where this bird was found。

Attachments

• 4143_1267621841TX05.jpg
    4143_1267621841TX05.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 94
  • 4143_1267621727xipU.jpg
    4143_1267621727xipU.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
White-winged Snowfinch (Montifringilla nivalis) near where this bird was found。

Nice images, taken last year in July, a fresh juvenile on the right.

here is an image perhaps closer to the original, taking into account date taken and developing plumage - http://picasaweb.google.com/lidstersunbird/MongoliaSunbirdJune2008#5288648920205211186 and http://pl.treknature.com/gallery/Middle_East/Turkey/photo81035.htm and http://www.pbase.com/blomdahl/image/114148050

Last edited:
This feature is more obvious
Does not seem to see the yellow lower mandible

Attachments

• 阿富汗雪雀.jpg
    阿富汗雪雀.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 阿富汗雪雀-2.jpg
    阿富汗雪雀-2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back