• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Azure Hawker + Chequered Skipper? (1 Viewer)

Alastair Rae

London birder
I believe the flight times of these two species overlap a bit. Could anyone suggest the best time and itinerary to see both in Scotland? Or is that mission impossible?

I cant help much with the Azure Hawker but I found chequered skipper very easily at Glasdrum Wood in 2nd week of June and don't be put off by talk of the steep walk as I didn't walk more than about 30 seconds from the car park.
It does look as though Azure Hawker good well be on the wing by then too but not sure where the best sites are.

The only place I have seen both together is the Butterfly reserve at Allt Mhuic, Loch Arkaig. The date was 19th June 2005. We saw 6 Azure Hawkers, but only 1 Chequered Skipper. I think we really needed to have been there a week earlier and have been prepared to revisit the site several times over a week to gain maximise potential sighting opportunities. As always the weather is critical and we waited most of the day for the sun to shine and the temperature to rise enough. All our sightings were from mid afternoon onwards as the sun broke through.

Glasdrum wood is by far the best for the skipper and week 1 of June is best, but week 2 should be OK. At Glenloy they seem slightly later so to combine with Azure, try here. Look for areas with bluebells neear the small bridge to Inverskillavulin. The hawker is quite widespread within its range and is easy at Bein Eighe and Loch Maree. I've spelt that wrong but have no map with me. I've seen them in week 2 of June.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back