• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NE Wales birdingwatching (1 Viewer)

When we headed back to the car after a walk along the prom at Rhos we bumped into a couple yesterday who were looking there for the twite but weren't sure where it was - we'd parked just west of the golf course in Morfa Road - there is a pump house on that side of the prom road, an outlet pipe on the beach side just to the west of the shingle groyne so I wonder if that was the area?

Thanks Ivan

I know where you mean, it's one of the areas I've fruitlessly searched!

Cheers

James

Thanks Ivan

I know where you mean, it's one of the areas I've fruitlessly searched!

Cheers

James

nice walk though ;-) at least it was good in the sunshine yesterday morning and adding quite a few to the year list in the high tide roost - hope you have success in eventually tracking it down (and let us know where and we'll have another go in a few weeks when we're back up there)

The area Ivan describes is the right place, it took me a while to find it last week but I eventually found it when it appeared on the sea wall with a few Linnets before flying onto the beach. Just look for Linnets and you should hopefully find the Twite mingling with them :t:

In other news a Little Auk turned up at Connah's Quay today which is a brilliant record for North Wales. Hoping it's still there tomorrow..

The area Ivan describes is the right place, it took me a while to find it last week but I eventually found it when it appeared on the sea wall with a few Linnets before flying onto the beach. Just look for Linnets and you should hopefully find the Twite mingling with them :t:

Thanks Huwgo. Doubt I'll head back just for the Twite, but if I'm doing the rounds that way again in the next few weeks at least I now know where to focus my search.

Cheers

James

Ps - FWIW saw nothing of any real note on my jaunt today (Pensarn's Snowbs eluded me too), just a few year ticks. The day's highlight was undoubtedly the weather....

I had a rough-legged buzzard up at World's End on Thursday, which in retrospect was the 'weird' buzzard I had on Tuesday up there. The bird was at the Minera end (SJ254501, precisely) and watched for about 5 minutes, unfortunately I was unable to get any pictures. No hope of relocating today in grim conditions with little visibility. Here's hoping it sticks around for a bit.

Saw a Red Kite getting mobbed by Crows as I drove along the coast road just after the Talacre roundabout. First I've seen around here for years.

Called to see the Little Tern colony at Gronant today, apparently they are set for a record breaking year as things stand. Very good news!

Cant believe its been 1.5 years since I posted in this forum wot I started ages ago!

Anyway, beautiful 6m walk with my dog yesterday on a bright sunny but cold January day from Rhewl (West of Llangollen) up to Moel Morfydd. Fantastic views, love it up here on a nice day, come summer it'll be redstart central again!

Plenty of buzzards about, quite a few meadow pipits and stonechats up on the moors, and a couple of kestrels.

Highlight was a handsome red kite gliding below Moel Morfydd while we were having lunch.

An 8m hike around the moors yesterday, starting at Worlds End, plenty of stonechats and meadow pipits around. We saw a female black grouse with some chicks, a couple of distant male black grouse in flight, at least 3 nesting curlews and a few common redstarts.

Highlight was a couple of minutes after we got back to the car and were driving back towards Minera: 2 male black grouse flew low across the road in front of us and landed about 100yds up the hill, after stopping we saw a total of 8 males having a bit of a lekk and this was at 4pm. Fab, watched them strutting their stuff for a good few minutes before they all flew off. So glad I had my camera with me and not in the boot!

Vid on my youtube channel: https://youtu.be/nqotDP07hZc

Hawfinches near Minera Quarry

Had great views yesterday of two Hawfinches near Minera Quarry west of Wrexham. They were at the start of the track down to the quarry from Gwynfryn (SJ254524).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back