• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D600 - D700 - or (1 Viewer)

shrek48

your views please,

I am thinking of getting either a Nikon 400 and converter or
Nikon 600

Choice of camera in my budget range is
D7100 OR D7200
D600 OR D700

WHICH COMBO IS BEST FOR BIRDING?

Last edited:
Then a D7200 as it has a far better buffer size than the D7100, the D7500 has a better sensor but less MP i think but not sure,again i think the AF is not any better than the D7200.

Thanks, noticed my op said 500 not 700, so my choice is D600 OR D700 OR THE 7100 OR 7200 or aNY BETTER SUGGESTIONS IN THAT PRICE AREA.

My girlfriend uses a D700 with the excellent NIKKOR 70-300 for all her photography, which these days is mostly birding. Reach is an issue, compared very unfairly against my SX60 (but that's her reference point). She has tried a fixed-aperture 200mm lens, but these lenses are too heavy for her, so she sticks with the 70-300 as a compromise. To try to match the SX60's reach would be clunky to say the least.

She also shoots in JPEG (lowest compression) because she doesn't have the patience for RAW right now. The D700's shooting rate on high-quality JPEG will exhaust the smaller CF cards used by the D700 in a hurry; I turned-down her burst rate. :eek!: Suffice it to say, it's plenty fast enough.

Her case might be somewhat specific though: her degree on film photography translated best to an FX-grade camera, and the D700 was a hand-me-down gift. We couldn't afford cameras in this class normally: my SX60 was a budget reach, for example.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back