• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG 8X32 II Objective/Subjective Experiences (1 Viewer)

Rodgerbiltit

G'day!
I'm looking to purchase a pair of these...
I plan to house them in my handlebar bag whilst cycle touring, and find that the elongated shape is preferable in terms of fit.
I have "largish" hands, so binocular size shouldn't be an issue.
I wear spectacles and currently have 8X32 SE's that I've "Rodgered" and found to be excellent. I've previously purchased a pair of 8X30 EII's for both myself and my partner (ultimately selling my pair on as I had a preference for the SE's), so have experience with both of these choices. I've also previously purchased/sold 10x42 SE's as I found size/weight/reduced "tremor" of the 8X32 SE's more suitable.
I've been "researching" 8X32 EDG I/II past posts which mostly seem to stop around mid-2015.
It would appear that "F88" did indeed purchase the last pair of these in Australia in 2015...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=302109&highlight=nikon+8x32+edg
They are only available to order with a quoted 4-6 week delivery time. Purchase price AU $2550-2599.
I have considered purchasing the "ultimate" birding binocular - Swarovski 8.5X42 EL (AU $3,098) but the size/weight/bulk mean that they might have to wait until I'm touring exclusively by campervan!
Allbinos.com rate the Nikon EDG 8x32 II highest in their category.
My question is to those that have/have had this model.
Can you please give a "current" objective appraisal of your experience with them, please?
Rodger

Rogerbiltit, I have no experience with the Nikon EDG 2 8x32, but after reading its specifications and your demands it could also be useful to compare them with the new Swarovski Companion CL 8x32, especially since you mention the size of your hands as well as the use while cylcing. Both are very good binoculars, but the Companions have a lower weight, have excellent optical properties and fit very well in larger size hands. Prices may be comparable.
Lots of success with your choice.
Gijs van Ginkel

My question is to those that have/have had this model. Can you please give a "current" objective appraisal of your experience with them, please?
Rodger

Hi Rodger,

I recently sold my EDG 8x32 II (replaced it with a 10x32 EDG), but it's my favorite 8x32 and I give it my highest recommendation. I've compared it to the 8x30 II, 8x32 SE, FL, BN, UV, SV, EL, and others, and in my opinion it can hold its own against any of them. This is a subjective appraisal, of course, but I wholeheartedly agree with Allbino.com's assessment.

Cheers,

John

Edg

I have the EDG 8X32 and the 8X42, and they are both fine binocular IMHO. The 8X32 is perfect optically in my opinion, and with providing good ergonomics with good adjustable eyecups, eye relief, a decent field of view, the best focus mechanism I have ever had in a glass, and comes with a weight of 655 grams.
If you are looking for a very light and portable glass (esp for the trip), the CL may be better for this one trip being a slightly smaller and lighter package, although I have never handled one, just going by specs and reputation of Swarovski.
Another option is the Zeiss FL which will also provide, great optics, a wide FOV and is a bit lighter, 100 grams. Between the three options you will likely get a glass that fits your needs both long term or short term.
Price is another variable, so the CL would be the winner there.

A.W.

Last edited:
Once I had the Nikon EDG II 8x32, Zeiss 8x32 FL and the Swarovski 8x32 SV and I compared them over a two week time period to decide which one to keep using them under different lighting outside. I kept the SV. I liked the optics and handling slightly better than the EDG. The EDG is kind of big for a 32mm IMO. I felt the SV and EDG were definitely better optically than the FL. I would rank them SV(1st), EDG(2nd) and the FL(3rd). They are all good and you may like one over the other but that was just my opinion. Those are probably the three best 32mm roofs made. The Nikon 8x32 SE and EII porro's are very good for the money and close to these three but not quite.

Last edited:
The Nikon 8x32 SE and EII porro's are very good for the money and close to these three but not quite.

I preferred the 8x30 EII's view over the 10x32 FL, but the FL's fieldworthyness is in a completely different league, and probably the most rugged of the three.
The EDG II has a very nice build and image, and I'd love to own one just for the sake of it.
But it's a lot of binocular for its 32 mm lenses, and I feel that the 8x42 is easier to justify, having a 72% larger aperture.
There are also lightweight binoculars like the MHG 8x42, with almost no weight penalty and a wider FOV, and considering that the cycle bag and big hands pose a generous prerequisite, I'd consider one.

//L

Mhg

Looksharp,

Good point suggesting the MHG 8X42, and slightly less in price than the CL. Approximately the same weight as the EDG.
The MHG is to the far left.

A.W.

Last edited:
G'day!
Thank you all for contributing you thoughts/experiences - greatly appreciated!
I'm still erring toward the EDG's (a lot of brand loyalty probably)!
Now to save the pennies!
Rodger

For a glasses wearer the 16 mm eye relief of the Swarovski Companion CL is likely to be marginal unless you have a strong negative (short-sighted) correction.
AFAIK the only two 8x32s with generous eye relief are the Swarovski EL SV (20 mm) and the Nikon EDG (18,5 mm).

John

Well, things have a way of happening...
After ordering these (with 4-6 wks to save), a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 SV's became "available" at a price I couldn't refuse (used once)!
I'm still going ahead with the EDG's, but have decided it's time to rationalise my "spare" 8x32 SE's (through the classified's).
Three pairs are enough! Nikon 8x32 SE, Nikon 8x32 EDG & Swarovski EL 8.5x42 SV. Oh and a Nikon scope too!

Update:
The first pair of EDG II 8x32's arrived at the interstate shop that I had ordered through, much sooner than the quoted 4-6 weeks (alarm bells). The shop checked them over and phoned me saying that although they were sound optically they're covering was no good and their packaging was not "new". They were sent back - we wondered if they'd been returned by someone else because of their condition and it had been decided that they were suitable to "palm off" to me...
The second pair arrived four weeks later and were immediately posted to me.
I took them out of their packaging when they arrived and started appreciating the view through them. I then realised that they were 10x32 not the 8x32's that I'd ordered. Much embarrassment from the shop. They were sent back too! It would appear that given the discussion here about the EDG's no longer being made and that Nikon Australia did not even have a code for them that any pair that I would receive would be coming from Europe. The delays coupled with questionable after sales service from Nikon made me choose to redirect my funds toward a pair of Swarovski EL 8x32's.
They arrived overnight and I must say that they are delight. They will certainly fit my need in terms of handlebar bags etc. Next week (when strap adapters arrive) I'll "Rodger" them too - more Swarovski sacrilege...
Now I'll have to spend more time on the Swarovski forum than the Nikon!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back