• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ticks for New Zealand birds (1 Viewer)

Loutsy

I've been on a month's holiday in New Zealand and am using a birding app, as well as other web sources for information. One thing I'm unable to find an answer to is when can you count a tick for a bird that is called by another name. Some examples of names used in NZ birding app:
Shags - is this a new tick or the same bird as the cormorants?
Pukeko - is this a new tick or is this the same bird as the Purple Swamp Hen?

Thanks in advance for anyone who might have the answer to this!

Pukeko is a New Zealand endemic so will be a new bird for you.

The easiest way is to cross reference the scientific name of each species which will tell you what you've seen although, in this case, you'll need more than 'Shag' as there are several possibilities in NZ.

A

Hi Loutsy

You don't really need to start a new thread in a different forum, just let a Mod know you want it moved, either by posting in your thread, or PMing whoever is on line.

I've now moved your original thread to Birds & Birding as it had already had a reply, and deleted your duplicate thread.

In Clements/eBird taxonomy it's the same as Australasian Swamphen, the common bird in Australia.

OK Jim, did not know that?

I wrongly assumed that with the use of an indiginous name, that it was endemic.

A

Last edited:
When I was in NZ they kept refering to it as indigenous too, along with Kiwi, Kea, Kakapo etc, I suppose the fact it doesn't begin with a 'K' is the clincher

Are theysubspecies of the Purple Swamphen?
H

When I was in NZ they kept refering to it as indigenous too, along with Kiwi, Kea, Kakapo etc, I suppose the fact it doesn't begin with a 'K' is the clincher

Are theysubspecies of the Purple Swamphen?
H

Nooo.... Harry. No longer. Purple Swamphen was split into several species a few years ago.

Pukeko is a subspecies of Australasian Swamphen, you can read more in that link.

Nooo.... Harry. No longer. Purple Swamphen was split into several species a few years ago.

Pukeko is a subspecies of Australasian Swamphen, you can read more in that link.

Thank you Delia,
I live and learn, but am not a lister, or twitcher, so do not get too up to date with taxonomy.
Oh, I do try, most years at New Year, but then get baffled by which are this year's new species etc and which of last year's no longer count.
I would like to use software, but do not want to record my location constantly, as it drains the battery.
I know its a first world problem, but my notebooks go back, and I have no ral idea of how many species I have seen, in what year, BUT, I can recall most new birds for me, and where I saw them, so that's a blessing.

Best
Harry

Strictly speaking 'Pukeko' is the local name given to Porphyrio melanotus in New Zealand. The nominate subspecies is in both New Zealand and most of Australia. So Pukeko only aligns to a subset of the subspecies P.m.melanotus, not the whole subspecies.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back