• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus Kinlochbervie (1 Viewer)

Seem to remember reading somewhere that Walrus are 'handed', preferentially using one tusk for digging, with that tusk getting greater wear. So all 'right-handed' Walrus share this character.

Worth checking the pics for other more distinctive individual marks, such as scratches or scars in the skin.

A couple of marks on the back, right flipper seem to be the same

A

Not sure if I am the only one looking as I have not seen anyone else looking, but no sign between thurso and sarclet, visibility has been poor.

Will try again tomorrow

Mark

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I think I might be inclined to sit at Duncansby Lighthouse where there will be a few people looking for the Orcas this week I think . News tends to drift in here as mostly the observers will be connected to the other headlands.
It is a fantastic spot anyway and I do wonder how the Walrus manages to get through the strong current between the islands and the mainland when you see how the ferry drifts.
Ill be there next Saturday....

I checked at 11 pm last night and 5 am today and no sign at John O Groats

Just checking some more beaches now but no sign so far

Mark

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Just back from a week in Scotland. No Walrus though several of the early days in the week were spent looking for it. Many Grey Seals and fewer but still plentiful Common Seals on beaches and rocky haulouts along the North coast from Duncansby Head to Tongue.

Cetaceans simply evaded us: the only ones of the week were the Bottlenoses at Chanonry Point, and those are as near nailed on as a wildlife event can be. In fact the shortage of Porpoises almost looks real, as we didn't even see them in the glassy waters of Loch Sunart at the end of the week, where they are normally very easy indeed.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back