• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

uv or not uv? (1 Viewer)

roywez67

hi, i have just ordered a canon 100-400L IS, and have heard that the images are sharper without a filter , can any one confirm this, also is a uv filter the best one for every day general bird photography , thanks.

For bird photography and wildlife in general in most situations you don't want to use any filters.

If someone suggests using it for front element protection a hood is a better option.

Then again it depends. If you want the best results with a filter, then get the best quality ones. If you're better off without, then don't use them. I have found filters still necessary despite lens hoods (I use the 400 5.6 with a built-in hood). Best used to protect the front element from sea spray which the hood of my lens simply won't help.

Every filter will degrade the IQ to some extent, obviously the better ones less so than cheaper ones. I have tried a good quality one with a 400/5.6 and it certainly degrades IQ. Whereas the same filter on a 17-40 does not seem to effect IQ at all, longer focal lengths seem to magnify any flaws in the extra glass. After many tests with these filters I would never use one on a telephoto lens myself that's for sure. Most people seem to agree with this although if you were shooting in a very exposed situation then it would give you some protection.
If you do get a filter then just try to some tests yourself - mount the kit on a tripod and shoot several shots from the same distance/target both with and without the filter. If you cannot see any difference then carry-on using it - my betting is that you certainly will see a difference but some people are prepared to take a slight hit for peace of mind.

I have found that even UV filters alter color. I will be replacing mine with clear B&W (is that right?) filters. I want a filter. I can be clumsy, have dropped the camera + lens, and want the extra protection. < $200 for the filter is less than > $1000 for the lens.

I was taught in a Junior High photography class that it is a good idea to put a filter on the front of a lens to protect the lens. I was also taught that a good general purpose filter is the UV filter, since it reduces that invisible light load on the film and it reduces distance bluing somewhat.

Recently, when using my Nikon D300 + 105mm macro lens to take some pictures of some flowers. I noticed that the color in the pictures was off. The flowers had subtle buish hints in them that was being lost. So, I tried again without any filter, and waza, the color was spot on. I did some more experiments and have concluded that for the pictures I tend to take, on my 105 macro and 50-500 zoom, I don't really need the UV, but I still want a filter. So, I will be getting some clear B&W filters with the nano coatings.

Some early colour films were excessively UV sensitive, however modern films and digital sensors are not overly sensitive to UV and as you have found out they can cause their own problems.

The following is a light hearted video test from Digital Review on the subject.

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/uv-filter-vs-no-uv/OTMwNA_A_A

If you do feel you need a UV filter they do come in various strengths as well as qualities so you need to do a bit of research.

The picture quality with a high quality filter on my 100-400mm was significantly degraded. Lens protection is well served by using the hood when the lens cap is off.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back