• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

black necked grebe? (1 Viewer)

Dominic

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help with this id? Yesterday while walking with my kids round the lake at Haddo House (Aberdeenshire) I saw a strange grebe(?). It was slightly larger than a little grebe (a pair were also on the lake for convenience), had a dark back, head and neck but a white chest. It didn't have as puffy a rear as the little grebes and was sitting quite low in the water, similar to the way a diver does. I didn't get much on its head except that it looked quite sharp billed. Unfortunately, I only saw it for a few seconds before it dived. While waiting for it to surface my 2-year old son managed to fall full-length into a deep puddle and get soaked to the skin - we had to leave in a hurry. Obviously not the classic description of a bng but I can't think of anything else. Any ideas, anyone?

Welcome to the Forum Dominic!

Sounds like you could have had a Black-Neck there - all your observations sound about right: coloration, bill etc. Hopefully someone else might be along to confirm or deny your sighting for sure.

Please feel free to introduce yourself in our 'Say Hello' section, and choose an 'avatar' for yourself (look in the Q&A Section on the main page for this). Also, if you have any wildlife photos you wish to share, then they can be uploaded to the Gallery.

I'm quite sure everyone will make you welcome, and we look forward to reading your posts from Aberdeenshire.

:t:

Hi Dominic. welcome to the Forum :bounce:

Your description does sound like a Black Necked Grebe and they certainly occur in your area. It could also be a Slavonian Grebe which are only slightly larger but look pretty similar. They seem to be popping up all over the country at the moment. Looking in my Collins Field Guide the Slavonian has a white tip to it's bill and a flatter narrower black crown to it's head. Both have narrow pointed bills.

Either is a great catch to see.

Hi Dominic

Welcome to the forum and as Ralph says, please introduce yourself in the Hello Forum.

It's a shame that you didn't get a better look at the bird. You have discounted Little Grebe because there were two to look at for comparison. That leaves 3 small Grebes, Pied Bill, which it wasn't by virtue of your bill description, Slavonian and Black necked Grebe. You say that it seemed lower in the water. One characteristic of the Black necked Grebe over the Slav Grebe is that it rides higher, in the water, than the Slav. The bill normally looks slightly upturned on the Black necked whereas the Slav's bill is straight and short. The Black necked's forehead rises up sharply whereas the Slav's is at an angle.

So, which one. Well you pays your money and takes your choice. By virtue of it riding low in the water I would elect for Slavonian Grebe but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Hi Ralph, IanF and John J,

Many thanks for your replies - very helpful. Unfortunately work ties me up during daylight hours but come Saturday I'll go and have another search for it (sans kids) in light of your advice. You're right about Slav grebes but I thought bn was more likely because of the inland water site.

wish me luck for Saturday . . . .

cheers,

Dominic

Not a million miles away from you is where they breed. Loch Ruthven which is about 10 miles south west of Inverness.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back