• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

Middleton Lakes RSPB

My first visit of the year, In fact it is my first venture of the year. A large part of the lakes were frozen and what clear water there was held several common species of wildfowl. However, I did spot a grebe (albeit briefly) that may have possibly been a Slavonian Grebe. It would not stay on the surface for more than a few seconds and as much as I tried I could not get a clear view. An incoming snipe distracted me for a short while and that was the end of that..... I could not find it again. There was a bird count going on at the time and it would be nice to know if someone else got a look. It was definately not a little grebe and appeared far too small to be a great crested. Enjoyable few hours though.
Stu

19/1/11 Middleton Hall Heronry view Yellowhammer, mill plantation Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, silt pool Cetti's singing.
Fisher's mill pit Water Rail, 29 Teal, on the river Chiffchaff and 6 Goosander.
New reedbed pool 2 Shelduck.

Regards, John

Last edited:
8/2/12 I was speaking to Ken Rogers today, he visits RSPB Middleton lakes regulary mainly for photography. He said regarding the male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker that was on the feeders well before Christmas he believes this was taken by a Sparrowhawk, and the male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker being seen in mill plantation at present is a different bird and he has the pictures to prove it. To see :
RSPB site reserves by name, Middleton lakes, link off here to RSPB Middleton lakes facebook here click Photo's on the left to see images of the birds.

Dosthill Lake today 3 Goosander and 2 Goldeneye a Redshank flew over Fisher's mill.

Regards, John

Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers

These are the Pictures Ken Rogers is referring to. Regards, John

Attachments

• Lesser Spotted Woodpecker Feeders RSPB Middleton lakes.jpg
    Lesser Spotted Woodpecker Feeders RSPB Middleton lakes.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 92
Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers

Having looked at a number of pictures on bird guides it appears that Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers have an individual back pattern.

Regards, John

23/2/12 A Spring day today Middleton Hall 3 male Brimstone butterfly patrolling along the footpath mill plantation, Lesser Celandine in flower. I was told of a bat that was flying for 2 hours early afternoon low over the water of the silt pool, Daubenton' Bat does this, just before I arrived there, a Sparrow Hawk had taken it. Daubenton's normaly hunt half an hour after dark. A Peregrine was seen high above. Fisher's mill 2 Bumble Bee's seen. Heron's in the Heronry and a Reed Bunting singing at the play meadw pools.

Regards, John

Last edited:
will there be a spring birdwatchers fair this year? not seen anything mentioned and the website has gone off line.

In my experience, the organisers put in very little effort in advertising this event. It is left to interested individuals who already know about the fair to dig around to find out the dates. Shame really, as it a good day out.

6/3/12 Middleton Hall Snipe dropped onto the play Meadow Marsh, Rooks active at Rookery, Green Woodpecker calling from Mill Plantation. Fisher's mill 3 Oystercatcher on an island and 2 Shelduck and a Little Egret New reedbed pool.

Regards, John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back