• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History of Warwickshire: Fauna & Flora (1 Viewer)

Hartshill Moorwood Garden moth trapping

Trapping 16/6/13 I had a few varieties in the trap and 2 new for my garden NFG Sycamore and a surprise was Small Elephant Hawkmoth, according to David Brown's book The Larger moths of Warwickshire rare in North Warks VC38 away from Sutton Park.
I took no risks and kept it in the house, when dusk arrived it's wings started to quiver (warming up for flight) I released it in my back garden, a super flyer it buzzed around the back garden like a Hummingbird Hawkmoth before shooting off at great speed.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 008#054.jpg
    008#054.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 019#037.jpg
    019#037.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Trapping 16/6/13 I had a few varieties in the trap and 2 new for my garden NFG Sycamore and a surprise was Small Elephant Hawkmoth, according to David Brown's book The Larger moths of Warwickshire rare in North Warks VC38 away from Sutton Park.
I took no risks and kept it in the house, when dusk arrived it's wings started to quiver (warming up for flight) I released it in my back garden, a super flyer it buzzed around the back garden like a Hummingbird Hawkmoth before shooting off at great speed.

Regards, John

I wonder if your Small EH came south that night, as we had our first on the 17th! It was our first hawkmoth, so a beauty to start with! A couple of weeks ago, I bought a couple of Ladies Bedstraw plants from Brandon, to go in the insect border, so I released into them..... you never know, if it was a female!

Small Elephant Hawkmoth

I wonder if your Small EH came south that night, as we had our first on the 17th! It was our first hawkmoth, so a beauty to start with! A couple of weeks ago, I bought a couple of Ladies Bedstraw plants from Brandon, to go in the insect border, so I released into them..... you never know, if it was a female!

Hi Mary,
Which area of Warwickshire do you live in, I believe it's SW Warwickshire.

Regards, John

The Larger Moths of Warwickshire Book

Dear All,
I've already got a well-thumbed copy of this excellent book - it's
essential reading for everyone on this chatsite and in fact anyone
interested in moths in the West Midlands. If you haven't already got
your copy then snap one up now at this excellent price,
Best wishes
Dave Grundy
Birmingham

The Larger Moths of Warwickshire
Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:31 am (PDT) . Posted by:
"John" hartshillharris
Book by David Brown, Warwickshire Macro Recorder
Special offer £25 new Atropos

Regards, John

Hi Mary,
Which area of Warwickshire do you live in, I believe it's SW Warwickshire.

Regards, John

Yes, that's right; quite close to the Worcs border.

(I probably shouldn't say, but I recently got a copy of the Moths of Warks book from amazon - £14.99! Chuffed to bits!)
Cheers
Mary

Small Elephant Hawkmoth

Yes, that's right; quite close to the Worcs border.

(I probably shouldn't say, but I recently got a copy of the Moths of Warks book from amazon - £14.99! Chuffed to bits!)
Cheers
Mary

Hi Mary,
You already know then that Small Elephant Hawkmoth has been doing better in SW Warwickshire. Looks like on Amazon you dropped on a cheap second hand copy, the second hand ones are much more now on Amazon.
Worcestershire still has the pretty Speckled Yellow day flying moth I have seen it in the Wyre Forest, I believe someone saw one at Upton Warren posted on bird forum, extinct in Warwickshire

Regards, John

25/6/13 Surprisingly 5 new species for my garden (3rd year of trapping)
Dusky Brocade, Pale Mottle Willow, Toadflax Pug pic 1, Lesser Swallow Prominent pic 2 and Scorch Wing Pic 3 note males rest with abdoment tip raised.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 010#047.jpg
    010#047.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 007#044.jpg
    007#044.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 014#038.jpg
    014#038.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 25
Lovely photos, John; I'm still amazed by the variety of colours & patterns in our moths.

I've started putting the trap on a stand, about 18" high, still on a sheet. Last week, when I went out in the morning, there was a frog on the sheet with a very smug expression! Hope it didn't manage to get too many! I'd read of birds cottoning on to the food supply, but hadn't thought of the frogs and toad.

Frogs

Lovely photos, John; I'm still amazed by the variety of colours & patterns in our moths.

I've started putting the trap on a stand, about 18" high, still on a sheet. Last week, when I went out in the morning, there was a frog on the sheet with a very smug expression! Hope it didn't manage to get too many! I'd read of birds cottoning on to the food supply, but hadn't thought of the frogs and toad.

Yes Mary, if there is a food supply the frogs will take it, watch the trap does not blow off the stand and hit the Frog on the head.

The butterfly walk at Ryton Pools last Saturday produced a purple emperor, apparently the first for the county this year.

There is a butterfly walk at Pooley Country Park this Sunday. There was certainly a lot on the wing there last weekend, with dingy skippers still out. It will also be a good chance to take in the orchids growing around the site.

Adam

9/7/13 was a busy night for mothing with Warwickshire Rare moths Small Rananculus pic 1 Clouded Magpie pic 2, also new for Garden Leopard moth pic 3, Beautiful Hook-tip pic 4 and Figure of eighty, Green Pug, Sandy Carpet, Foxglove Pug.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 112#001.jpg
    112#001.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 080#004.jpg
    080#004.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 104#001.jpg
    104#001.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 003#078.jpg
    003#078.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 31
More moths from the 9/7/13

Some more species from a busy night mothing Freyer's Pug, Peach Blossom, Figure of Eighty and Dusky Brocade.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 024#033.jpg
    024#033.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 064#001.jpg
    064#001.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 059#003.jpg
    059#003.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 101#001.jpg
    101#001.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 30
Some stunning moths, John. Roughly how many are you getting just now? What kind of lamp do you use? Back in April and just starting out, I would never have imagined how many there could be in the garden! And as for micros..... not a hope of naming them as well!

Some stunning moths, John. Roughly how many are you getting just now? What kind of lamp do you use? Back in April and just starting out, I would never have imagined how many there could be in the garden! And as for micros..... not a hope of naming them as well!

Last session 9/7/13 minimum 200 moths, there are many more in the garden in the rough areas which are not seen. Some will not go in the trap and dis-appear before dawn. I use 60 W Actininc Skinner in winter, this occasion I used this trap and also a MV125 Robinson's trap as well.
The moths are drawn to the garden from a wide area for the light, I name most micro's by using the New micro guide, some however cannot be identified by photo.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back