• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and seeking advice on the Sony DSCHX400V (1 Viewer)

Hello all. I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to birding in general.

I'm about to buy my first proper(ish) birding camera, and I was torn between the Canon SX50 and the Panasonic Lumix FZ20. Then I came across the Sony DSCHX400V, which looks great but is very, very new. Does anybody here know much about this camera, specifically whether it's better for photographing birds than the other two I've mentioned?

Seems to be just like the DSC300 except with wifi now and better macro capabilities. Rest appears the same and probably doesnt justify the high price rise. Still doesnt have a RAW shooting option. Probably best to stick with the cheaper dsc 300 or canon x50 until a quality x60 option appears?

For stills the Canons are better. For Video the Sonys are better. I shoot 90% video with my HX 200v.
Get the SX 50 now as pricing is good and review in about 6 months when there will be a lot of new models out eg SX60.
Neil.

Sx50

Thanks for the replies. I did decide to lump for the SX50 in the end. I've managed a few half-decent pictures, but I've a lot to learn. As you suggested, Neil, I'll review in 6 months time.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back