• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG (1 Viewer)

On paper the specs look quite respectable with wide AFOV, nice weight reduction, and usable eye relief for eyeglass users. Will be interesting to see the price point that these roll out for compared to the EDG II's.

This one sounds very interesting. It has lots of features and sounds like a good move.
Nikon has needed a new mid-range model similar to the
HG, LXL or Premier line-up.

They seem to have their naming system with the Monarch the better line, and the
Prostaff models in the lower priced tier.

Jerry

These must be replacing the old Premier (formerly HG L) 8x42 and 10x42. FOV is much wider, ER is still long. New di-electric prisms added. I wonder if Nikon will come out with an 8x32 version?

If this is so they will be competing with the EDG versions at what might be a much lower price.

Bob

Last edited:
I have heard rumors about the new Monarch HG about 3 months ago, which is why I have not kept any of the EDGs that I owned for short periods of time. Imo they will be priced well below the EDG, probably around the price of the HGL line.
Anyways I have been using an SE 10x42 for the last few weeks, and I am impressed. I got it for about 350$ and I think there is hardly anything out there that can better it, price notwithstanding. Even so, I look forward to trying the Monarch HG.....

Peter

Hope they are not as dark as the EDG:s.....just kidding....;)
Nikon must have read Tobias review:

"A high-quality multilayer coating is applied to all lenses and prisms. Dielectric high-reflective multilayer coating and phase correction coating are applied to the roof prisms. All this combines to achieve a bright view with light transmittance of up to 92% or higher, plus natural colour fidelity."

They look nice, very light!

Price point? Made in Japan?

Bins look definitely more tempting than the new scopes.

Last edited:
I don't see any mention of price or release date, but it clearly states Made in Japan. Aside from the Zeiss SF, are there any 8x42s with that wide of a FoV? It is in fact wider than most 8x32, and given only ~3oz heavier than the alpha 8x32, if the optics are good (i.e. similar to the HG/L but with better CA control), I'm not sure where you could go wrong with these...

Post #12. Yes, the Kruger Caldera 8x42, also at 8.3 deg., apparently still in production (see Kruger Optical website). It had some coverage in BirdForum a few years back.

Last edited:
It looks like the old Japanese Premiers aka HGL/LXL are being phased out. 2 are no longer listed. Perhaps the new Japanese made Monarch 7s are destined to replace them?

At this time there are only 2 Premiers listed on the Nikon Binocular Website: The 10x42 and the 8x32. The 8x42 and 10x32 are no longer listed. The 10x42 and 8x32 may be disappearing soon as both are "back ordered" if you try to order them.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...s/all-binoculars/index.page#!/tag:Gbc:Premier

There are 4 Chinese made Monarch 7s listed. The 8x30 and 10x30 and the 8x42ATB and 10x42ATB. The 8x30 and 10x42ATB are on back order if that means anything.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...all-binoculars/index.page#!/tag:Gbc:MONARCH 7

Last edited:
Made in Japan sounds promising, the same quality level as the HGL:s will be sufficient. To me the HGL:s feel almost as solid as the EDG:s do.
A bit odd that Nikon mix HG and Monarch though, the Monarch name does not ooze of quality IMO.

Price point will be interesting, the current HGL:s are around 1000 Euros/Dollars here, so perhaps slightly higher than that.
Competing with Leica Trinovid, Swaro SLC and Conquest HD I guess.

The MSRP on the website of NIkon/Japan is around 1100$---as I was suggesting above, same price range as the HGL line. Besides the Trinovid, SLC, and the Conquest mentioned above, other competitors include the Meostar and the Razor---the specs of the latter appear to be the closest to those of the MHG.

Peter

The MSRP on Nikon, UK is £799 for 8x42 and £839 for 10x42, so it should be possible to get them cheaper when they get released.

The MSRP on the website of NIkon/Japan is around 1100$---as I was suggesting above, same price range as the HGL line. Besides the Trinovid, SLC, and the Conquest mentioned above, other competitors include the Meostar and the Razor---the specs of the latter appear to be the closest to those of the MHG.

Peter

OK....so it does NOT sound as if it will be an EDG replacement...sounds as if it is aimed squarely at the Conquest HD.... And honestly, that probably where the market is...

Made in Japan sounds promising, the same quality level as the HGL:s will be sufficient. To me the HGL:s feel almost as solid as the EDG:s do.
A bit odd that Nikon mix HG and Monarch though, the Monarch name does not ooze of quality IMO.

Price point will be interesting, the current HGL:s are around 1000 Euros/Dollars here, so perhaps slightly higher than that.
Competing with Leica Trinovid, Swaro SLC and Conquest HD I guess.

The LX Ls (I have the 8x32 and 10x32) are very solidly constructed; much more so than the current Monarch 7s are; I also have the 8x30. The 32mm LXL/HGLs were always (with the exception of the Leupold Gold Rings), at nearly 24 oz, the biggest and heaviest 32mm binoculars, on the market. The 42m versions were (and are) correspondingly heavy and bulky.

The new Monarch 7HGs are competing with the current Leica Trinovids and the Zeiss Conquest HDs I think. All of them have their diopters on the traditional right eyepiece rather than on the Focus Wheel. The 42mm Trinovids cost just under $1000.00 at Eagle Optics as do the 42mm Conquests at Camera Land.

Bob

Last edited:
Competing with the Trinovid HD and the Conquest indeed, but do not forget the Razors----they seem to be quite similar to the MHG in many respects, and they also have a lockable diopter ring. However none of the potential competitors offers a flat field. No picture of the MHG that I have seen shows the integrated lens caps---I hope they will work better than those of the EDG, which shouldn't be hard....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back