• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair Isle - too late to book at this point? (1 Viewer)

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

My wife and I will be visiting Scotland the last week of May and are interested in staying at the Fair Isle Bird Observatory a couple nights. However their website says that seasonal bookings start a year in advance. For those who have experience with Fair Isle, are we too late?

(I did call and email the Bird Observatory office but they are closed until February. I've tried contacting them through Twitter and will update this thread if I hear anything.)

David
North Carolina, USA

You could try North Ronaldsay if you're not successful with Fair Isle. Not quite as spectacular, and less in terms of seabird colonies (although there are plenty of those in Orkney), but could be just as good for migrant birds, and its a very nice wee obs, and a friendly and beautiful island.

Also note, there is other accommodation on Fair Isle (though not much of it). None is near the observatory but it's not a big island, and if you're staying elsewhere you'll always be welcome to pop in, e.g. for the evening log. Evenings will be light in late May !

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

My wife and I will be visiting Scotland the last week of May and are interested in staying at the Fair Isle Bird Observatory a couple nights. However their website says that seasonal bookings start a year in advance. For those who have experience with Fair Isle, are we too late?

(I did call and email the Bird Observatory office but they are closed until February. I've tried contacting them through Twitter and will update this thread if I hear anything.)

David
North Carolina, USA

Not necessarily. Autumn tends to be busier than spring. If you can't get in there are plenty of other Shetland options for a similar experience, assuming your priority isn't UK rarities. For example there are spectacular seabird colonies at Sumburgh and on Unst.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back