• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20xW or 30xW for TSN612 (1 Viewer)

jedku

Marc
Hello all,
I should have a question mark on the subject. Which one is best?

I want to buy one of the newer fixed eye pieces for the Kowa 60/66 scopes. I am troubled deciding between replacing my older 20xW or acquiring the 30xW. I need the new 20mm of eye relief.
Anyone care to tell me would they choose the 20x or the 30x for regular use if the main use is viewing shorebirds in usually sunny conditions in Hungary and Delaware, USA? I also use the scope for some seawatching and mixed agriculture/forest edges.
Currently, for shorebirds, I sometimes switch out the older 20xW and put in a terrible older zoom in order to dial up to about 30x-40x or so to make some IDs. But, I much prefer the 20x over the zoom for medium distance and scanning as the image quality and FOV is much better.
Seems like the 30x could be a good compromise, though it sacrifices some FOV needed in scanning and perhaps some light/clarity in hot or darker conditions. I would still have the older 20xW if I wanted, though I doubt I would use it after getting used to the new 30xW with its longer eye relief.
However, if people tell me that the new 20xW is vastly improved and that it is easier to ID more distant birds than with the older 20xW I might lean towards it. It might be a better match for the 612's 60mm objective lens and general birding. I usually prefer the lowest power I can get away with in bins and scopes.
I have not been able to try them out and will likely mail order. So, review comments are welcome along with general philosophical views on which power is more useful.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jedku:

I have been watching this thread for several days--hoping to observe a discussion of the current Kowa eyepieces for the 60/66 scopes. But alas, no one with any of these eyepieces has chosen to respond.

I do not own a spotting scope. However, I am considering the purchase of the Kowa TSN 663 ED Angled 66mm Spotting Scope. I want to have a dedicated eyepiece instead of a zoom eyepiece. One of my delays is trying to decide upon which eyepiece.

Here is a recap of the product details from the Kowa website.

20x Wide Angle
Model TSE-21WD
Magnification 20x, Wide Angle
Real Field of View 3.3 degrees
Apparent Field of View 66 degrees
Exit Pupil Diameter 3.3-3.0mm
Relative Brightness 10.9-9.0
Eye Relief 20mm
Field of View at 1000yds/m 57.6m/yds

25x Long Eye Relief
Model TSE-17HD
Magnification 25x, LER
Real Field of View 2.1 degrees
Apparent Field of View 52.5 degrees
Exit Pupil Diameter 2.6-2.4mm
Relative Brightness 6.8-5.8
Eye Relief 32mm
Field of View at 1000yds/m 36.7m/yds

30x Wide Angle
Model TSE-14WD
Magnification 30x, Wide Angle
Real Field of View 2.4 degrees
Apparent Field of View 72 degrees
Exit Pupil Diameter 2.2-2.0mm
Relative Brightness 4.8-4.0
Eye Relief 20mm
Field of View at 1000yds/m 41.9m/yds​

The 20X gives the widest Real Field of View, Exit Pupil Diameter, and Relative Brightness--all features that add to what I call viewing pleasure. It is between the 25X and 30X in Apparent Field of View, a ratio for measuring the combination of Magnification and Real Field of View (60 degrees or above is considered to be a good number). However, it gives the lowest Magnification.

The 25X gives the longest Eye Relief, another feature that adds to viewing pleasure if you intend to view for long periods of time at the same object. It is between the 20x and 30x in Exit Pupil Diameter, Relative Brightness, and Magnification. However, it gives the lowest Real Field of View and Apparent Field of View of the three.

The 30X gives the greatest Magnification, which I guess is what a scope is all about. It also gives the best Apparent Field of View. The Real Field of View is between the 20X and 25X. However, the Exit Pupil Diameter and Relative Brightness are the lowest.

So, for me, it comes down to

(a) More pleasant viewing experience (20X)

(b) Longer viewing experience (25X)

(c) Closer viewing experience (30X).​

. . .

If the above mental meanderings have not totally frustrated you, here are a couple of recommendations from professional birdwatchers who have written introductory books on birdwatching.

Sibley (2002) and Dunne (2003) both recommend 30X as the best all-around eyepiece for scopes.​

I guess the only way I will know for sure is to order all three from Eagle Optics--keep the one I like the best, and return the other two.

Which eyepiece do you prefer?

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

. . .

References

Dunne, Pete (2003). Pete Dunne on Bird Watching: The How-to, Where-to, and When-to of Birding. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company.

Sibley, David Allen (2002). Sibley's Birding Basics: How to Identify Birds, Using the Clues in Feathers, Habitats, Behaviors, and Sounds. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.​

Last edited:
I had a TSN 611 and now a TS 613, I found the superior optics of the latter very helpful for digiscoping and when at the extreme end of the range where identification is difficult.
I originally bought the 30x w that went with the old TSN 1/2/3/4 models. It is a great lens for watching, so if they have improved it you should be very happy. I wear spectacles so lens relief is a factor but found the wider angle still gives a bit of room when trying to spot things..
For digiscoping I bought the older 20x and this is better in every way for that purpose. I have tried the new 20x and that is very good too but couldn't justify buying it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back