• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

black billed capper (1 Viewer)

yes I have tried cloudbirders and read that hornbuckle report but the guide he used now charges 800usd for 2 days to look for the bird. if I knew of the exact location I could do it cheaply by just going myself. but thank you for the information and reply

Its a tricky bird to get. I lived in Mongolia for two years and only ever had one sighting, of a male which flew up from an open area beside the 'road' on the way to Khaan Khenti. Apparently they can be seen at Terelj, which is the reserve just outside of Ulaanbaatar, but I never heard where exactly or who knew of the site. I visited Terelj many times without success. Khaan Khenti, the region to the north east of Ulaanbaatar has excellent habitat and must be a good possibility. However, it is very remote and you need a good vehicle and a good guide. On one trip there in mid May the weather was perfect and we went off in the hope of finding Capers; the following morning we woke up to find our tent covered in snow and a thick blizzard around us. It took several hours of scary driving with near zero visibility before we got back to the nearest paved road. I also flushed a Caper in the north close to Lake Khovsgul, but did not determine which species.
In short, finding one yourself will be very difficult if you don't have information first. You may want to try contacting Axel Braunlich, who runs the Birding Mongolia blog. He may know of a guide who can take you to one.
Good luck with it

Tom

Try Gansukh:
ngansukh at gmail dot com
He has a photography shop in Ulaan Bataar, and is an enthousiast birdwatcher. He has seen BBC some times and knows some good places (I guess in Terelj). I am vague because I don't have 1st hand info for at least 4 years from him. He was once hired by BQ, he is mentioned here: http://www.birdquest-tours.com/pdfs/report/MONGOLIA REP 10 .pdf

note: while searching cloud birders, I found that the report of Max Berlijn mentions him. I don't know if I gave him the email, or if he got it while on tour. Anyway, always worth trying ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back