• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

basic binos stuff please (1 Viewer)

is that an insider joke or am i thick tonight?
i like my imagination, it means i can imagine a tiny blurred dot 80yds away into a collared dove and the brown things that flap around backlit in the treetops into goldfinches and chaffinches.

is that an insider joke or am i thick tonight?
i like my imagination, it means i can imagine a tiny blurred dot 80yds away into a collared dove and the brown things that flap around backlit in the treetops into goldfinches and chaffinches.

It was a joke. However, that doesn’t mean you’re not THICK. Ed was a NASA Senior Scientist. So, whereas some people have loose screws, his fell out completely, years ago. Even so, he knows more than the two of us put together. He’s like a college puke on steroids. Sad, ain’t it? :cat:

Now then, go to bed. It must be a million o’clock where you are!

Bill

yes thank you. learned a lot very quickly thanks to help from people here.

next question: the image is not perfectly round or oval when comfortable with my eyes.
i assume this is my head shape/measurement across eyes?
the centre of the image is good, crisp and even has enough depth of field to give an almost 3D effect but the edges are figure of eight and blurry not that it worries me as what i see is all sharp within effective vision area. just wondering if other binocular types or designs give a wider view so a shift of eye rather than binos sees more. i would be happy to pickup the terminology so please correct me.

Hi Jape -
With smaller bins, eye position gets more critical. It may be that you haven't set up the distance between the eyepieces exactly too. If you widen them so you have two circles in the view, and bring them in slowly until they merge to one, you won't be far out. Then, as Bill says, you're likely to see field curvature at the edges (the blur you mentioned). Whether this is a problem or not is another matter; if the 'sweet spot' (the clarity in the middle) is big enough for you, they're fine.
Some bins have 'field flattener' lenses, designed to provide an edge-to-edge clarity. Some folks like them, and some don't. Obviously, extra lenses add weight and price. Personally i quite like both, but prefer a 'fade out' of the usable view, rather than a dead stop....
I don't know many birders who use the edge of the field for anything other than detecting movement. The size and quality of the centre field is the critical factor.

yes, made sense and explained that my problem is too big a head, never been told that before.

thank you Paddy, i should have said thanks before.

Well, i always reckon using binoculars is a pretty simple process. Designing them, building them and fixing them is a different business altogether.
I'm also ok at using washing machines, but don't expect me to know what's actually going on.....

Well, i always reckon using binoculars is a pretty simple process. Designing them, building them and fixing them is a different business altogether.
I'm also ok at using washing machines, but don't expect me to know what's actually going on.....

What is the FIRST thing you must do to convert your dishwasher into a lawnmower? :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back