Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

NIKON introduces new Monarch HG 8x30 and 10x30 Binoculars

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Friday 29th June 2018, 14:54   #1
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,455
NIKON introduces new Monarch HG 8x30 and 10x30 Binoculars

https://www.nikon.com/news/2018/0628_monarch_hg_01.htm

They have FOVs of 435'@1000yds and 362'@1000yds respectively and ERs of 16.2mm and 15.2mm respectively. They weigh 15.9 ounces.

Nikon is now listing them on its USA Binocular website:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...-hg/index.page

Their price is about the same as the 42mm Monarch HGs.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Friday 29th June 2018 at 15:05.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th June 2018, 15:57   #2
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,455
Compared to the Monarch 7 30mm binoculars the new Monarch HG 30mm binoculars have a "Field Flattener lens system", a Magnesium Alloy Frame and a Locking Diopter.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th June 2018, 17:21   #3
adhoc
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Anon.
Posts: 469
Eye relief
8x 10x
--------------
Monarch-HG 42
17.8 17.0
Monarch-7 30
15.1 15.8
Monarch-HG 30
16.2 15.2
--------------
From Nikon main website
adhoc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 2nd July 2018, 12:49   #4
pbjosh
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 638
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of these yet. The photo pages make it look like the diopter mechanism is different from the 42mm models, it doesn't look like there is a gap to the eye cups that gives space for the diopter ring to slide up.

I have the M7 8x30 but have been tempted by the new CL 8x30, only hesitating due to close focus and field of view. Maybe the new MHG 8x30 will be the sweet spot for me. Having 1-1.5mm more eye relief than the M7 8x30 will help as well.
pbjosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 2nd July 2018, 15:23   #5
dalat
.
 
dalat's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,450
Yes, I'm also keen to hear about first experiences with those! Very interesting, just from the specs and the good reports of the larger Monarch HG, sounds like sth I'd like to get.
dalat is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 2nd July 2018, 16:00   #6
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of these yet. The photo pages make it look like the diopter mechanism is different from the 42mm models, it doesn't look like there is a gap to the eye cups that gives space for the diopter ring to slide up.

I have the M7 8x30 but have been tempted by the new CL 8x30, only hesitating due to close focus and field of view. Maybe the new MHG 8x30 will be the sweet spot for me. Having 1-1.5mm more eye relief than the M7 8x30 will help as well.
The picture of the Monarch HG 8x30 locking adjustor diopter ring shown in the Nikon USA website looks like the one on my Monarch HG 8x42. You pull it up to set it and push it back down to lock it. Scroll down in the link below to see it and how it operates.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...tTabs-Overview

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Monday 2nd July 2018 at 16:03.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd July 2018, 16:49   #7
jgraider
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,206
I've never been much of a Nikon fan, but those HG's are very nice, smooth, and well built. That 8x30 is very interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
jgraider is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 2nd July 2018, 17:34   #8
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,455
I had to return my first 8x42 HG because the diopter wandered. Nikon replaced it under warranty with a new one and it has been working perfectly for about a year.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd July 2018, 18:12   #9
pbjosh
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
The picture of the Monarch HG 8x30 locking adjustor diopter ring shown in the Nikon USA website looks like the one on my Monarch HG 8x42. You pull it up to set it and push it back down to lock it. Scroll down in the link below to see it and how it operates.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...tTabs-Overview

Bob
Looks like you are correct, my error! I was looking at the EU site and the photos that I looked at made it look like the little gap to the eye cup wasn't there. The US site has a photo that shows it clearly and describes that it slides up, which makes it sound just like the 42mm models. The diopter is one thing I've disliked, physically, about the two copies of 8x42's I've seen. It seemed to slide up very readily. That doesn't mean it's going to shift, but why have a lock if the lock moves so easily? I have never had problems without a locking diopter.

Regarding diopter drift on Monarch HG's, I know others who have had wandering diopter issues, though I don't know if there are continuing issues or if it was only early production models? Some early Conquest HD 42mm models also had wandering diopter problems but I've not heard of that problem since just around launch.
pbjosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 3rd July 2018, 00:11   #10
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,455
PB Josh

In response to your post #9 above:

The Locking Diopter ring on the Monarch HG is modeled after the Locking Diopter rings on the Nikon HGL/LXL series and it works the same way they do. (I have the 8x32 and 10x32 LXL). These HGL/LXLs were Nikon's top of the line roof prism binoculars from about 2004 through 2009 when the EDG came out. (In fact Nikon continued to sell the 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42 models as their 2nd line binoculars under the new name "Premier" until they were finally discontinued with the EDGs.) Their Diopter Rings are larger, thicker and have more detailed markings on them than the ones on the current Monarch HGs do.

On the matter of The Monarch HG 8x42 that I returned because it had a diopter that drifted; it was an early model that I received in February 2017. I returned it in late April 2017 and received a replacement for it in early May 2017 which I have been using without incident since then. I think Nikon resolved any Quality Control issues it may have had.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Tuesday 3rd July 2018 at 00:16.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th July 2018, 15:05   #11
Upland
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 203
I’ll be interested to see reviews of the 30 mm HGs. The M7s I bought had the worst glare of any bino I’ve ever used. I thought they were defective so exchanged them for another pair. Same issue so I returned them. I’ve read several reviews that say the same thing about glare so hope Nikon has figured it out. I was hoping they would make the HG in a 32 mm format like the EDGs but it makes sense since they already have the 30 mm model in the M7 and just have to make modifications to it.
Upland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 01:11   #12
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,455
Nikon's price on the 8x30HG is $949.95, about $330.00 less than the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B that Swarovski lists for $1288.00, which seems to be Nikons only rival in that price range for 30mm binoculars.

The Nikon has 38 more feet FOV @1000 yards than the Swarovski does: Insignificant in normal use.

ER is 16.2mm for the Nikon and 16mm for the Swarovski. The Nikon weighs just over an ounce less at 15.9 ounces to 17.3 Oz.

The Nikon also has a "flat field."

The Swarovski has the new Swarovski rotating strap attachment and unique new eyepieces that make eye placement much easier. The Nikon has standard lugs to attach the strap to.

The Nikon's case is not shown but one can safely assume that it will not be as fancy as the 3 optional cases that Swarovski offers with its options. And the Nikon binocular only comes in basic black. The Swarovski binocular also comes in Green.


Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Tuesday 10th July 2018 at 01:13.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 08:00   #13
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 8,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post

The Nikon has 38 more feet FOV @1000 yards than the Swarovski does: Insignificant in normal use.

Bob
Whoa Bob. Don't undersell the Nikon! It has an area of view 19% bigger than the Swaro CL, which is a nice advantage.

I will be looking out for these at Bird Fair.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 12:41   #14
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2018
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,216
I wonder if Nikon will introduce a premium glass this year, something along the lines of the archived EDG line.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 23:34   #15
[email protected]
Forum Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Whoa Bob. Don't undersell the Nikon! It has an area of view 19% bigger than the Swaro CL, which is a nice advantage.

I will be looking out for these at Bird Fair.

Lee
Lee is correct. 38 more feet FOV @1000 yards is HUGE. I can even notice a big difference with 20 more feet in the FOV. With a flat field and a larger FOV than the Swarovski CL 8x30 the Nikon HG is going to be some serious competition for the CL. What I would like to know is how big in diameter the new Nikon HG 8x30 eye cups are. That is one thing I didn't like about the CL 8x30 and for that matter most 30mm and under binoculars. The eye cups are so small they go too deep into my eye sockets to be comfortable and can cause problems with black outs because the eye relief is too much for the distance of your eye from the oculars unless you rest them on your eyebrows which I don't much care for.

Last edited by [email protected] : Wednesday 11th July 2018 at 02:47.
denco@comcast.n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 11th July 2018, 00:05   #16
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2018
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,216
Dennis,

Where the heck have you been, good to hear you are still around.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th July 2018, 07:44   #17
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Lee is correct. 38 more feet FOV @1000 yards is HUGE. I can even notice a big difference with 20 more feet in the FOV. With a flat field and a larger FOV than the Swarovski CL 8x30 the Nikon HG is going to be some serious competition for the CL. What I would like to know is how big in diameter the new Nikon HG 8x30 eye cups are. That is one thing I didn't like about the CL 8x30 and for that matter most 30mm and under binoculars. The eye cups are so small they go too deep into my eye sockets to be comfortable and can cause problems with black outs because the eye relief is too much for the distance of your eye from the oculars unless you rest them on your eyebrows which I don't much care for.
Welcome Back Dennis!

Actually that 38 feet @ 1000 yards works out to 3.8 feet at 100 yards and about 15 inches or so at 100 feet. As I said before that is no big deal; a minute adjustment of the binocular.

As for the eye cups on my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B; they fit me just fine! I can use them either braced up against my brow ridge or even when I place them back around my eyeballs without having any problems with blackouts thanks to the unique attributes of the "optical box" in the design of its eye pieces.

The Nikon should give some serious competition to the Swarovski if it is as good as the 42mm HGs are. Of course it also will sell for about $350.00 less than the Swarovski.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th July 2018, 14:07   #18
cycleguy
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mile high, colorado
Posts: 902
Glad to see more quality choices becoming available in this format (x30)!!! Look forward to finding one retail and checking it out. Don't think I'm up to buy before you try this time as I've already done that three times this year.

It will be interesting to see how well the x30 and x32 get along ... a passing trend, dominance, co-existence???? My crystal ball won't show me the future... but I'm guessing Zeiss comes out with one soon.

CG
cycleguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 01:13   #19
[email protected]
Forum Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Welcome Back Dennis!

Actually that 38 feet @ 1000 yards works out to 3.8 feet at 100 yards and about 15 inches or so at 100 feet. As I said before that is no big deal; a minute adjustment of the binocular.

As for the eye cups on my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B; they fit me just fine! I can use them either braced up against my brow ridge or even when I place them back around my eyeballs without having any problems with blackouts thanks to the unique attributes of the "optical box" in the design of its eye pieces.

The Nikon should give some serious competition to the Swarovski if it is as good as the 42mm HGs are. Of course it also will sell for about $350.00 less than the Swarovski.

Bob
What you are forgetting Ceasar is we are dealing with the AREA of a circle which is A=πr2. So at 1000 yards the Nikon has a 150,597 SF FOV versus the Swarovski at 125,600 SF and at 100 yards the Nikon has 1504 SF FOV versus the Swarovski at 1256 SF and at 100 feet the Nikon still has a big advantage with 15.04 SF FOV because the Swarovski only has a 12.56 SF FOV. At all distances the Nikon HG has like Lee says about an 18% advantage in FOV. That is a very noticeable difference in FOV. I like my eye cups to be big enough that they stop around my eye sockets and support the binocular. The bigger 32mm and 42mm usually do that so I prefer them.
denco@comcast.n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 03:54   #20
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What you are forgetting Ceasar is we are dealing with the AREA of a circle which is A=πr2. So at 1000 yards the Nikon has a 150,597 SF FOV versus the Swarovski at 125,600 SF and at 100 yards the Nikon has 1504 SF FOV versus the Swarovski at 1256 SF and at 100 feet the Nikon still has a big advantage with 15.04 SF FOV because the Swarovski only has a 12.56 SF FOV. At all distances the Nikon HG has like Lee says about an 18% advantage in FOV. That is a very noticeable difference in FOV. I like my eye cups to be big enough that they stop around my eye sockets and support the binocular. The bigger 32mm and 42mm usually do that so I prefer them.
Dennis,

All you have to do with the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B when you use it to get that mathematically created extra area in the FOV that the Nikon 8x30 HG has is to pivot your head an inch or so in the appropriate direction while you are looking through it.

But if you would rather roll your eyes in the appropriate direction rather than pivot your head then I recommend that you get a Nikon 8x30 E2 which has a FOV of 8.8.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Thursday 12th July 2018 at 04:01.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 06:25   #21
[email protected]
Forum Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Dennis,

All you have to do with the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B when you use it to get that mathematically created extra area in the FOV that the Nikon 8x30 HG has is to pivot your head an inch or so in the appropriate direction while you are looking through it.

But if you would rather roll your eyes in the appropriate direction rather than pivot your head then I recommend that you get a Nikon 8x30 E2 which has a FOV of 8.8.

Bob
I personally would rather see a bigger FOV without pivoting my head. That way you take in more FOV at once. If you want to pivot your head you could get by with a 300 foot FOV. IMO a bigger FOV is always an advantage especially with a flat field and sharp edges. You can pick up birds at the edge of the FOV when you have sharp edges and a larger FOV allows you to scan a larger area at one time. The bigger FOV also gives me more WOW effect and a more immersive feeling. Some people are content with a smaller FOV and others live for the big FOV. It is a matter of personal taste. Interesting concept though.
denco@comcast.n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 06:49   #22
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 8,260
If you know something is there you can aim any bino at the subject. If you don't know something is there and are sweeping the sky or land speculatively then an 18% bigger fov gives you more of a chance of snagging something. For me the extra fov comes in useful when sweeping the sea after something (a seal, a loon, a whale, an otter) has dived and I don't know where it will surface.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 15:05   #23
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
If you know something is there you can aim any bino at the subject. If you don't know something is there and are sweeping the sky or land speculatively then an 18% bigger fov gives you more of a chance of snagging something. For me the extra fov comes in useful when sweeping the sea after something (a seal, a loon, a whale, an otter) has dived and I don't know where it will surface.

Lee
Lee,

As a practical matter, if I were doing something like that on a regular basis I would not use any 8x30 or 8x32 binoculars which are very useful in closeup work in the canopy or while engaged in general birding.

I would use instead a high quality wide field 7x42 like Jerry Liguori recommends in his books: "Hawks at a Distance" and "Hawks at any Angle." The binoculars he has used since 1994 were the Zeiss 7x45 Night Owl and later the 7x42 Victory FL.

I'm sure that they would be just as advantageous while sweeping the sea for Otters, Seals, Loons or Whales from the land or from a boat. Their large exit pupils are very forgiving.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 15:13   #24
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I personally would rather see a bigger FOV without pivoting my head. That way you take in more FOV at once. If you want to pivot your head you could get by with a 300 foot FOV. IMO a bigger FOV is always an advantage especially with a flat field and sharp edges. You can pick up birds at the edge of the FOV when you have sharp edges and a larger FOV allows you to scan a larger area at one time. The bigger FOV also gives me more WOW effect and a more immersive feeling. Some people are content with a smaller FOV and others live for the big FOV. It is a matter of personal taste. Interesting concept though.

Dennis,

The human neck is a remarkable mono-pod, unmatched by anything man has tried to devise. It can turn a binocular with a FOV of 7.7 into one with a FOV of 8.3 with just a very slight movement. This is invaluable if the first binocular is better than the 2nd binocular.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 15:40   #25
Nick-on
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: deepest darkest Herefordshire
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Dennis,

The human neck is a remarkable mono-pod, unmatched by anything man has tried to devise. It can turn a binocular with a FOV of 7.7 into one with a FOV of 8.3 with just a very slight movement. This is invaluable if the first binocular is better than the 2nd binocular.

Bob
No it can't.

Nick
Nick-on is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monarch HG 8x30 and 10x30 In Focus Nikon 1 Friday 29th June 2018 15:16
Nikon Monarch 7 new 8x30 and 10x30 fkrow Nikon 201 Wednesday 7th October 2015 15:48
Nikon Monarch 7 10X30 Tvc15_2000 Nikon 3 Sunday 8th December 2013 23:03
Nikon Introduces New MONARCH X Binoculars Armandas_N. Nikon 3 Friday 27th February 2009 05:42

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.31811690 seconds with 36 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:03.