• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cheap and cheerfull (1 Viewer)

jape

being old and poor i dont want much. i was wondering how to use my phone with binos for zoom then remembered before phones i had a camera. this back in days of film.

now i am birding i still dont want much but here are the parameters.
fast reaction to trigger
easy zoom and focus
4 metres to 20 metres god focus so bird is half of frame and i can see feather details
good auto light response, many days here are dull
cheap
cheaper

i dont mind a second hand compact if it has decent zoom and focus as above
seen on eBay less than 100 quid but so many models

i also saw 23 pound 4K ultra hd 16 megapixel sport cams but suspect these

my phone cam is 5mgp but crap. would a zoom attachment lense do enough to avoid digital zoom pixellation at the range i want?

which compact megapixel level is basis? 12? 16? less? dont need wifi etc
cheapest is essential, just reference for me. so what do i save for?
thanks

fast reaction to trigger
easy zoom and focus
4 metres to 20 metres god focus so bird is half of frame and i can see feather details
good auto light response, many days here are dull [...]
seen on eBay less than 100 quid but so many models

A little used Canon SX50 would give you a lot of birding fun and feather detail. Three of this old superzoom (a model from 2012) were sold in December at the German eBay for Euro 112, Euro 113 and Euro 117, respectively. No camera below Euro 100 will give you nearly as much bang for the buck.

There are alternatives, but nothing else below Euro 250 or so. I understand your post as saying that you are starting with birding? In that case nailing birds in flight will probably not be your priority. For shooting (and identifying) perched birds in a distance of 20m or so, the SX50 is an excellent choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back