• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1,4 tc for tamron 200-500 (1 Viewer)

guerrero

what's the best option for tamron 200-500 ?
Kenko 1,4 pro 300 DE $ 195
Sigma 1,4 DE EX APO $ 189
Tamron 1,4 AF PRO $ 189

what's the best option for tamron 200-500 ?
Kenko 1,4 pro 300 DE $ 195
Sigma 1,4 DE EX APO $ 189
Tamron 1,4 AF PRO $ 189

I used to use this lens on a Nikon D70 with a kenko 1.4x pro 300 DG teleconverter. Results were acceptable in good light, & it even retained AF(although it was fairly slow). It did hunt around in poor light. I also had to have it supported either on a tripod or beanbag. The Sigma will not retain AF with this lens.
Regards Rob.

I now own Rob's converter, and it works with the lens, but the quality suffers. I tend to only use the converter with "smaller" lenses when i need to travel light and can't take the big Tamron lens.

It's an OK gadget to have, but don't count on it being able to "get you closer" - it the bird only produces a "blob" because it's too far away, with the converter all you get is a slightly bigger blob with the converter!

But, it does still autofocus - if somewhat slower.

Not sure, but i suspect the Tamron and the Kenco might actually be the same?

I own a Big T - and never used a TC .
Even Tamron company does not recommend using a Tc with the 200-500.
( I asked Tamron comp, and even B&H - do not recommend one ).
The lens is great - as it is , and no need for attachments .
If the bird is too small - you are not close enough.

I own a Big T - and never used a TC .
Even Tamron company does not recommend using a Tc with the 200-500.
( I asked Tamron comp, and even B&H - do not recommend one ).
The lens is great - as it is , and no need for attachments .
If the bird is too small - you are not close enough.
An essential answer containing all the relevant info!
PS I tried some time ago a Canon TC 1.4x with the Tamron but was not satisfied with it - nevertheless for IDing a distant bird it might prove useful
Max

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back