• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid HD 10x32 (and 8x32) vs competition? (1 Viewer)

Grando

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Leica Trinovid HDs, specifically in the 10x32 format, to complement my Nikon 7x42s - to use at the coast etc in decent light (I accept that the 8x32s would probably be an overall better option, but I like the idea of having some light 10s as an alternative in certain situation - my other half can use them too, so I can always borrow them if my 7s aren't enough if we're both out).

I was also attracted by the close-focus of these bins, as there'd be the added advantage for insect-watching. I could then sell my Pentax Papillio's to offset the cost.

I've never looked through the Leicas, however, and may not get the chance before I'd like to take advantage of some of the 10% off sales currently happening in Jan. I wonder what people's subjective opinions are as to how these compare to say, the Zeiss Conquest HD, which I have looked through in the past and been impressed by. I did consider the similar weight Nikon Monarch HG 10x42, though these are now a couple of hundred pounds dearer than when I looked through them a while back (and their 32s are dearer still, I believe).

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Of course, I realise that there's no substitute for trying out myself etc, buying from somewhere with a good returns policy if I can't buy in store etc. But any opinions in advance will be a help.

Cheers!

A little bit more expensive, but I think the Swarovski CL Companion models (the new version, not the older version) would provide some very worthwhile competition - depending on what features you place most value on. I have the 8x30 version and I'm very happy with it. Also the Zeiss Conquest HD and the Nikon Monarch HG are in a similar ball-park, price and quality wise - depending on what features/performance combination works best for you.

Thanks. I guess I'm obviously going to have to try out all the alternatives when I get the chance. The close focus really of the Leica really appeals, so it will be interesting how it compares. I've tried the Conquest HD in the past and was impressed so if the Leica is similar (but with the closer focus) then that might swing it.

I purchased a 9 month Trinovid hd 8x32 for almost half the price some weeks ago.
The close focus is very nice but not so impressive as through the small Papilio’s. Sold the latter because they didn’t got much use so..
They’re definitely nice optics and in the same league as the new CL’s.
Had them side by side and thought the Trini’s were a Little easier on the eyes, but it was a quick look so it wasn’t a good comparison. They do have some CA and while having not the biggest field of view, they’re very sharp and have very good contrast. Colours look intenser/deeper than with the Trinovid non-HD.

Grtz

I tried the Trinovid HD 8x32 vs Conquest HD 8x32 vs Kowa Genesis 8x33.

The close focus of the trinovid is great, but I had blackout problems with the eye relief (I do not wear glasses). The conquests were better and the kowa were the best for me. I eventually got the long eye relief cups for the conquest and that brought them to about on par with the Genesis, though I think I like the Genesis view quality a bit better. For me, towards sunset, I thought the Genesis did a better job controlling flare when looking nearish to the setting sun.

As has been pointed out in reviews of the Conquest, it has a very fast focuser without loss of accuracy. Going from near-to-far is fewer turns than with the kowa.

Marc

I've always kinda wanted a pair of the Trinovid HD 8X32s. The one thing that has kept me for biting is FOV as this model is towards the bottom of 8X32 models at 370ft at 1000yds. I picked the Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 as my representative binocular in this price range which features a FOV of 420ft. Whether this matters is for you to decide. No doubt the Leica is a nice binocular.

Comparing 8x32s the Trinovid HDs and Conquest HDs are so close that for me its more a question of what kinds of observation I expect to do on the day. Optics-wise for me its too close to call. The differences have already been mentioned by others: Conquest has a fast focuser which makes it my choice for when I expect a lot of nearby subjects like dragonflies and butterflies as well as distant birds, whereas the Trinovid HD has a super short close focus distance and I use this for places where insects and flowers and marine life in rock-pools are my targets.

If my main use for 10x32 was for longer distance observing then, bearing in mind the shallower depth of field of a 10x (and therefore the need to refocus) and the likelihood of birds perversely popping up at shorter distances, I would be swayed by the Conquest's ability to refocus quickly from far to near and back again.

Lee

Thanks Lee and Chuck. I will have to try and compare both - don't think I want to risk ordering a pair blind just to take advantage of £75 off in the Jan sales, and can't see me getting to an optics dealer in the next couple of weeks.

Hi Gijs,

thank you for your answer. I can only find Troubadors review, which is the same as the one that can be read here in this forum.

Even though people often claim that dutch is much alike german, i have a hard time to read it (besides some easy words). So i cant find any more clues on that side.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back