• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new Zen Ray Vista and ZRS HD (1 Viewer)

Fireform,

One final post on the subject and I'm done with it. I do realize you have praised ZR products. I was really puzzled by the dichotomy of your post. On one hand you did indeed praise them and then on the other you paint them as technically incompetent and thus it seems, unable to have earned the praise you gave them earlier. You don't have to offer proof, yet I do. You either see that contrast or, you do not.

Now I usually try not to go around giving offense. Usually. I didn't really intend to go down that road, but somehow I took a wrong turn, shifted gears, and hit the throttle. Rick gave me the yellow caution sign, but I went down the road a bit further before I decided to pull over. Knowing myself, I find usually I am "vexed" by something other than what it is that set me off. I'm still not sure quite what that was (other than it is something other than your post), but I really should have thought things through. I usually try, but that ability was lost to me in this instance.

Now, this is the last I will say. This whole thing has probably in one degree or another negatively affected more than one person. I will accept responsibility for that and move on. We have each "sternly talked to" each other, so I hope everyone can now move on as well.

Last edited:
So Zen Ray may be just a couple people spec'ing and ordering bins from China and it appears evident due to there is no will-call pick-up even though I live in the same small city. If this is true, it okay by me - though I have purchased products out of someone's garage or home in the past and see nothing wrong with it.

The bottom line is that I want the best glass money can buy on a budget. Zen Ray seems to have filled that requirement nicely.

Dealing with Zen Ray is much easier because just my simple inquiry email to Xi'an optics had them asking me repeatedly what I would like to order. There is a language barrier that I would rather not get into as it required several repetitive emails just to get information on one product. Charles appears to have a good, established relationship with the factory and that is hard to do in China, from what I've heard and experienced some what. For all I know, he probably speaks Chinese as well!

Last edited:
FWIW, the HD in the ZRS is for High Density. There is a rare earth element (sorry I don't know which one) in a lens in the eyepiece assembly. It serves to flatten the field. This is the same as the older ZRS HD.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back