• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zen Ray? (1 Viewer)

I've had the Talon and ED 2 side by side several times. Those are the same very good binocular . Got sample 8x and 10x43 ED 3 today. There are some differences that seem to place the ED 3 above the Talon and ED 2. There are more similarities to the ED 2 than differences, but the differences seem well thought out and initially appear to result in an improved glass.

Review will follow shortly.

Last edited:
Check ZR's facebook page for a discount code...just found the post myself.

Being one who eschews social networks because of privacy issues among others things, I continue to be frustrated with firms who only provide coupons and discount codes on Facebook. ARGH :storm:

Being one who eschews social networks because of privacy issues among others things, I continue to be frustrated with firms who only provide coupons and discount codes on Facebook. ARGH :storm:

Bob, the coupon code is ED3. Facebook is just one of channels that we use to communicate to our customers. We definitely do not intend to use it as the exclusive platform for announcing deals and etc. Please accept my apology for the frustration

Bob,

No offense intended towards Charles but I am right there with you. I don't have a facebook account and probably never will. I never saw the need for it. Sadly, we did miss out on being the 500th poster of "likes" for Zen Ray or we could have gotten another set of bins. :)

Frank,

There are quite a few of the "old timers" (e.g. Lauren Weinstein of Privacy Forum fame) who were there at the birth of the Internet who also adamantly refuse to have anything to do with these "social networks." Bottom line is that we're not alone :)

I'm another non-social networker (not anti social however ;)). I have never been on Twitter and have never even been on facebook either, likely never will. But Charles (or nearly any kind of business) would be sort of nuts not to use it to their advantage.

I've had the Talon and ED 2 side by side several times. Those are the same very good binocular . Got sample 8x and 10x43 ED 3 today. There are some differences that seem to place the ED 3 above the Talon and ED 2. There are more similarities to the ED 2 than differences, but the differences seem well thought out and initially appear to result in an improved glass.

Review will follow shortly.

From the stock photos posted on ZR's website, the change seems to go deeper than just switching the rubber armor. The body looks substantially different too. Or is it just an "optical" illusion without those two vertical lines running along the top of the barrels on the ED2 binoculars?

If it is indeed better than the ED2 and the Talon, I think I'll retire my trusty Swift Audubons. IMO the aesthetics at least are much improved. The previous Zen ED's were bordering on "ugly".

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back