• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pin-tailed Snipe or Common Snipe, Al Ain, UAE, 13.12.2015. (1 Viewer)

peterarras

Hi all,
is this a Pin-tailed Snipe or Common Snipe?
What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• DSC_7310a.jpg
    DSC_7310a.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC_7323a.jpg
    DSC_7323a.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 247
Peter,
Agree with KGS, on common snipe. Those huge bold, sub-coronal stripes are better for common snipe as well. The light area encircled in dark behind the eye is more typical of PTS however? Guess some people might wonder how a fan-tail, fits in the seemingly, tiny tail area?

Thanks a lot Bryon and M...!
By my experience over the last 4 years and more then 5 month over the winter time and almost daily sightings,
is this bird a Pin-tailed Snipe! I tried today, to get a call from her, but she flew 2 times silent away!
I can't tell you why, but when I see her between the Common Snipes, appeared she to me as a Pin-tailed Snipe!
Here are 2 pictures from today,
and 2 pictures from 22.11.2015! I thought it is the same bird, but now I'm not sure anymore! It appears always at the same place!

Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• DSC_7819a1.jpg
    DSC_7819a1.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_7905a1.jpg
    DSC_7905a1.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_0622a1.jpg
    DSC_0622a1.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC_0681a1.jpg
    DSC_0681a1.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 233
Hi all,
what is with hybridization between Pin-tailed - and Common Snipe?
Do someone have experience with that?
I'm sure it isn't a pure Common Snipe!
Here, compared with a Common Snipe!
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• DSC_8347a.jpg
    DSC_8347a.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_8324a.jpg
    DSC_8324a.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 212
Not sure about the first two pictures, but all the other birds show some very good features for Pin-tailed/Swinhoe's snipe and I can't imagine these birds being (pure) Common Snipes (apart from the one in the last two pictures, of course).

According to the 'Handbook of Avian Hybrids' (2006), hybrids between both have never been recorded.

Greetings,
Jonas.

Peter,
post #4 picture #1. This ticks all the PTS. boxes in my view. Are the middle two photographs on post #4 of different birds?

Thanks a lot Bryon!
The pictures in #4, 1 and 2 are the same (15.12.2015), 3 and 4 are also the same bird (22.11.2015),
I thought all pictures are the same bird, because it appear always at the same place, but when I look the pictures now, I think it's a different one!
Cheers
Peter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back