• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Week In Moscow (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
I'm going to Moscow late May-early June for a week. i was just wondering about birding round these parts. Also, what is it like in general, has anyone experienced any problems birding from security or locals?

Cheers in advance,
Mabel

B :) :-O B :)

Speaking in general it’s nice place. Never met the problems neither with security nor locals during bird watching walks.
Last year atlas “Birds of Moscow City and the Moscow Region” http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Birds-Moscow-Region-Faunistica/dp/9546422622 counts for 273 species observed. At least one is missed (I met Arctic Redpoll, no in atlas, many times last winter). You will be at good season for bird watching. Pay special attention to large city parks. I prefer south-west part, e.g. Troparevo park. Surely you will meet here - Bluethroat, Robin, Nightingale, Redstart, Whinchat, three wagtails, some thrushes, Blackcap, many warblers, some flycatchers, some tits, Nuthatch (look for asiatica – often met during this year), Treecreeper, Red-backed Shrike, some woodpeckers, and many others. If lucky – Wryneck, Long-eared Owl, Corncrake (any case you will hear him). Btw, I’ve made cover photo of the referred atlas just in Troparevo.
You can subscribe for the forum http://www.rbcu.ru/forum/ . Many of members are English speaking and we will provide you with more detailed directions.

Mabel, I just moved to Moscow six days ago for a couple of months so the only birdwatching I did was in the disco.

BTW, if anyone is interested in birdwatching together, I'm open. Victor, where do you leave? I live at Zamoskworece, central old part of Moscow surrounded by the river (info for Mabel).

Tomorrow I am going to natural museum to buy the book. I guess it will also be cheaper than on Amazon. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back