• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What sites to visit in N.W.Norfolk? (1 Viewer)

senatore

I am off soon to Norfolk soon for some birding.I usually stay in Old Hunstanton or nearby.I go to Titchwell and Cley of course and sometimes to Snettisham.I am told there are lots of other great sites to visit in this area but I do not know them.

Can anyone please advise me on any other sites to visit in this area?

MAX.

Here's a few ideas for starters - if you want more details on any, just ask:
  • Choseley barns area (just inland of Titchwell) for breeding farmland birds like Corn Bunting, Grey Partridge
  • Burnham Norton marshes - the pools inland of the sea wall have turned up Stilt Sandpiper, BW Teal, Woodchat Shrike and RN Phalarope in the last couple of months - excellent site
  • Holkham - good woodland birding in the park S of A149, and on the grazing marshes to the N. In Spring and autumn the pines are excellent for migrants as well
  • Stiffkey Fen - N of A149, pools can hold good birds
Basically, pick a footpath anywhere north of the coast road, and the chances of seeing interesting stuff are always quite high!

D

Last edited by a moderator:
senatore said:
I am off soon to Norfolk soon for some birding.I usually stay in Old Hunstanton or nearby.I go to Titchwell and Cley of course and sometimes to Snettisham.I am told there are lots of other great sites to visit in this area but I do not know them.

Can anyone please advise me on any other sites to visit in this area?

MAX.
you must visit Hickling broad nature reserve for a great days birding (£3)..bittern,red footed falcon,hobby,marsh harrier,bearded tit,etc etc plus the swallowtail butterfly.i was there two weeks ago and had a great day !! :clap:

Tim,

I couldn't agree more - although in fairness when Max gets to North Norfolk everyone there (birders and non birders alike) will pass the information.

The first question birders in the area ask is "Have you seen the......?".

I've edited the quote out of my post - and would suggest that you and "D" do too.

Rob Smallwood said:
... when Max gets to North Norfolk everyone there (birders and non birders alike) will pass the information.

The first question birders in the area ask is "Have you seen the......?".
Sorry guys - the above point was what was in my mind when I posted. I thought that what I said was not an issue due to not naming species, but take your point onboard - I suppose we can't be too careful. I have heard so many people passing on info re these birds, and have myself been told "out of the blue" by at least half a dozen people I've never even met before... both in and out of Norfolk.

Sadly, anyone wanting to cause harm will almost certainly be sufficiently in the loop to have heard about these long ago... but this is another debate.

David

Last edited:
Geoff Brown said:
Abbey Farm at Flitcham has a small hide open to the public. Often something interesting to see from there.
Arrghh - I completely forgot this little gem. Kingfisher, Turtle Dove, Little Owl, farmland birds... it's brilliant, and very peaceful. If only all farmers were as conservation minded!

There's also the NWT and NOA reserves at Holme - not sure how good they are in the summer season though? Only ever been when loads of migrants have been on the agenda.

David

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back