• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (4 Viewers)

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for that, that's most helpful!

If I could just ask a couple more questions:

1). Am I right in thinking that the hide is accessed from a track north from the entrance to the farm which is located to the south of the Cresswell Pond? This is what it looks like on Streetview. Is the hide generally locked?

2). Excuse my ignorance, but what should the wind direction be for Little Auks? For most of the sea watching I do down in the South West you want the wind blowing in towards the shore but do you actually want a northerly wind in the case of Little Auks? I'm going to be up there on Friday afternoon and the present forecast is for a moderate SW wind - not much good I'm guessing.

Thanks once again for your help

Adam

Hi Adam

Yes just park at the entrance to the farm track and walk up towards the farm, you will see the path down to the hide on the right as you reach the farm.

You need a Northerly wind for Little Auk so I think you will be out of luck.

Hi Adam

Yes just park at the entrance to the farm track and walk up towards the farm, you will see the path down to the hide on the right as you reach the farm.

You need a Northerly wind for Little Auk so I think you will be out of luck.

Thanks very much for your help

Adam

Tynemouth

Black Redstart has showing very well over the last few days. Some reports that there are two. It has been on the sea cliffs and rocks by the gates to the pier. I saw it today at about 3pm, to within about 30 ft. Lovely, smart bird.

Black Redstart has showing very well over the last few days. Some reports that there are two. It has been on the sea cliffs and rocks by the gates to the pier. I saw it today at about 3pm, to within about 30 ft. Lovely, smart bird.

Aye, fairly sure I had two there t'other day, but not 100% sure, could've just been one very mobile.

Attachments

• Picture 074b.jpg
    Picture 074b.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 71
Hi all,

Just to let you know that I've been on my trip up to the North East. Sadly the Dowitcher went AWOL on the day I was up there though of course it was back again the next day. Still I got some nice Twite views at East Chevington. For those who might be interested I've written up my trip here.

Thanks once again for the help given here on this forum.

Adam

5 Waxwing at Woodhorn Motors this afternoon(1515) and at least 5000 Starlings over Chevington South Pool from 1540 to 1600, when they went to bed!

Morning All

Just a quick note to say that the farmer at Cresswell is experiencing difficulty at times because cars are being parked in the wrong places. He has a tractor and large trailer to navigate along the farm track to the road and has pointed out the obvious dangers to parked vehicles if they are left "sticking out". Obviously, the Dowitcher has caused increased interest and some folks may be from outside the area and not realise that they are parking at the entrance to a working farm.

There were 15 cars present yesterday when I was there and that was when the discussion took place. There aren't many alternatives but even if it means a walk from the car park by the causeway, it might be worth the additional few minutes. Please pass this on to anyone you feel needs to know.

Long-billed Dowitcher showing very well at Cresswell today and Great Northern Diver still on Widdrington Lake at 3pm :t:

Druridge was HEAVING with folk out for their New Year's Day walk and you could barely get parked :eek!: Never seen it so busy!!! I think the unwashed masses have discovered how gorgeous it is up here :C

Nice find at Killy Lake this morning, not often I get to start a twitch :-O

Is it still around, do you know? It's a glaring omission from my life list, so I'll give it a try if I can get out on my bike tomorrow (but Killingworth is well off any usual birding-bike route!)

Gosforth Park sightings

Some nice year list species at Gosforth Park on Sunday to add to the excellent haul at the coast on New Year's Day:

Whooper Swan - 2 adults on the flooded field opposite the lodge
Bullfinch
Siskin
Woodcock (flushed from beside the path)
Bittern - 2 birds seen in flight
Sparrowhawk

Andy

Marsh Tit at Wallington

Marsh Tit at the wildlife feeding station at Wallington Hall at the weekend.
Other common birds there were Treecreeper, Jay, LT Tit, Nuthatch etc + a couple of red squirrels but no Brambling or Redpoll as last year. Not enough sustained cold weather to drive them into the feeding station perhaps.
Andy

Two weeks until our traditional yomp round Northumberland from dawn to dusk and again would appreciate any help re mega birds we might look for at Linton, QE2, Cresswell, Woodhorn Flash, Druridge Pools, East Chevington, Druridge Bay Country Park or Hauxley. How are the feeders at the Country Park? Can we access Hauxley at all or is it off limits? Are the two hides nearest the beach open, especially the one with the feeders? I have been following threads and blogs but if you can post here that would be great. Last years trip report here
http://bangorwestndcp.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/northumberland-and-lancashire.html

PS what and where is the Budge screen and the Budge fields?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back