• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget 10x50 Roof Prisms (1 Viewer)

pete seaman

A neighbours teenage sun is going on a local Dark Skies event and has been recommended to take 10x50 binoculars. We reckon this will be a one off so nobody is wanting to spend a fortune. He says he cannot use my Opticron Imagic 10x50 porro prisms understandable as his hands are quite small and they are a little bulky. Has anyone any brain waves on models that might suit ? We have a good selecton of bins we are willing to lend him but none seem to suit his needs so HELP please.

A neighbours teenage sun is going on a local Dark Skies event and has been recommended to take 10x50 binoculars. We reckon this will be a one off so nobody is wanting to spend a fortune. He says he cannot use my Opticron Imagic 10x50 porro prisms understandable as his hands are quite small and they are a little bulky. Has anyone any brain waves on models that might suit ? We have a good selecton of bins we are willing to lend him but none seem to suit his needs so HELP please.

A low-priced 8x40 Porro Prism might serve him just as well and there are a number of them to choose from that cost in the 100 dollar price range.

As for 10x50 roof prisms:

Nikon makes a $200.00 US dollars 10x50 Roof Prism. It is the Pro Staff 5 10x50.

I doubt if you will find anything better in a Roof Prism in that price range. They weigh 28.7 ounces and I am also doubtful that you will find any others that weigh less.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviews

I don't know if you can find them in England either.

Bob

Last edited:
-apologies missed the fact that you want some roof not a porro-

How about the Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50W multicoated for a start?
Here is one in "as new" condition for under 300 euros from an optic. http://www.optikservice-schilling.de (left "Optik" then "Ferngläser" and scroll down). But you might find it way cheaper used.

Pete,

Not sure I would have anything to suite either..... and I'm a bit far away to check.

The Optical Vision brands like Helios and Barr & Stoud do have good value models but still you would be looking at least a £100, which is still a lot for a one off. Looks like Groves in Northallerton might be the closest Astro shop to you. No harm in asking if they do loaners or rentals?

David

The Jenoptem 10x50 porro is too heavy for a youngster.
Budget 10x50 porro will not need to be phase coated and the Helios Fieldmaster 10x50 porro is only £53.
There is a Dorr Danubia Alpina porro 10x50 on the internet for £25.
And there is a Japanese Bresser Diorit 10x42 roof pre-owned for £99
Cheapest Helios roof prism model is the Mistral WP6 at around £120

12x45 Russian Porroprism binocular.
I used this as my astro binocular for a decade. It still works perfectly.
Beautifully balanced, high resolution if one gets a good example.

the 10x40 version I find is not so good.

Hi,

for astro use, I would still try the 10x50 porro - after all you need to focus only once to infinity there and the unabiliy to reach the center focus is probably what a user with small hands will not like about them.

An existing pair of 8x40 or 7x40 roofs might be another option, but I would not buy a cheap pair of roofs - they are usually not so great and the few ok examples tend to be in 8x30.

Joachim

Never even thought of this idea David,market day in Northallerton tomorrow and it is only 17 miles away. It will npot be a wasted trip as they also have a brilliant toy department so our grandsons might gain !!

Maybe using an 'L' shaped adaptor bracket and fixing my old Imagic 10x50 porros on a light tripod or basic monopod may do as a one off .

Maybe using an 'L' shaped adaptor bracket and fixing my old Imagic 10x50 porros on a light tripod or basic monopod may do as a one off .

That might work. I use Nikon's 'L' shaped adaptor with my 12x50 SE on a tripod and on occasion with a monopod.

Your son won't to be moving around much during this Dark Skies event will he? Maybe your son could use your Porros while lying on a lightweight folding, portable cot that can prop up one's head and shoulders. I often lie down on one on my deck while using my Nikon 12x50 SE. It is certainly easier for me to use that way than standing up all the time with my cranky back.

Bob

Last edited:
It is my neighbours son not ours. He seems to think both using the tripod nd lying down could be fine,as a teen he should be used to that !! He also borrowed my old Helios Ultrasport 8x42 saying "these might be useful" Ive heard that one before.

It is my neighbours son not ours. He seems to think both using the tripod nd lying down could be fine,as a teen he should be used to that !! He also borrowed my old Helios Ultrasport 8x42 saying "these might be useful" Ive heard that one before.
Well the lad enjoyed the event even booked another visit to the dark skies of Kielder not sure what if any optics we be returned to me though !!

Hi Pete,
Probably no returns.

Maybe he went to see the Perseid meteors of last night and tonight.
New moon so very favourable.
They also are seen for quite a while but there are fewer than at the peak.

Cloudy here, but much more tolerable temperatures than the previous two months.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back