• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Air gun attack on four seagulls (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Ok let me make a couple of things clear:

I wrote the way i wrote because this forum is seeing a lot of waste of space and time discussing a couple of cygnets and gulls when there are far more pressing concerns to talk about.

A lot of space and time is also being wasted discussing fledglings falling out of nests (which you insist upon calling "baby birds", makes them more cute does it?) which should be left to their own devices in the first place.

I wrote that way because i am sick and tired of hearing that people like these yobs should be strung up, shot at, placed in stocks, drawn and quartered and generally abused. I agree that such behaviour leads to irresponsible citizens later on in life, or maybe not so later on (shooting children in the streets etc etc) but really, too much is too much. Wishing all that on a fellow human those not make you a bigger animal lover.

Dafi was correct in saying that banning air guns will do no good and was making an excellent point, before he mentioned the stocks.

Mary Evelyn's previous posts shows that she is the emotive type that is not worth arguing with.

I hope that you did not get me wrong... being a maltese birder i have seen countless of dead and mutilated birds by lead shot, and in a couple of weeks time i will be out there in the field aiding our police in trying to prevent the killing of anything from Short-Toed Eagles, honey buzzards, harriers and falcons down to hirundines, hoopoes, golden orioles and rollers, with a few herons thrown in for good measure, from being shot not by air gun wielding yobs but by grown men with semi-automatic repeater shotguns loaded with heavy gauge pellets.

In the face of all this, i reitrate that a couple of gulls, cygnets and fledgling pale in comparison.......

Edit: P.S. i apologize about the pest thing, its a word that should not be used.

Last edited:
Ok let me make a couple of things clear:

I wrote the way i wrote because this forum is seeing a lot of waste of space and time discussing a couple of cygnets and gulls when there are far more pressing concerns to talk about.

A lot of space and time is also being wasted discussing fledglings falling out of nests (which you insist upon calling "baby birds", makes them more cute does it?) which should be left to their own devices in the first place.

I wrote that way because i am sick and tired of hearing that people like these yobs should be strung up, shot at, placed in stocks, drawn and quartered and generally abused. I agree that such behaviour leads to irresponsible citizens later on in life, or maybe not so later on (shooting children in the streets etc etc) but really, too much is too much. Wishing all that on a fellow human those not make you a bigger animal lover.

Dafi was correct in saying that banning air guns will do no good and was making an excellent point, before he mentioned the stocks.

Mary Evelyn's previous posts shows that she is the emotive type that is not worth arguing with.

I hope that you did not get me wrong... being a maltese birder i have seen countless of dead and mutilated birds by lead shot, and in a couple of weeks time i will be out there in the field aiding our police in trying to prevent the killing of anything from Short-Toed Eagles, honey buzzards, harriers and falcons down to hirundines, hoopoes, golden orioles and rollers, with a few herons thrown in for good measure, from being shot not by air gun wielding yobs but by grown men with semi-automatic repeater shotguns loaded with heavy gauge pellets.

In the face of all this, i reitrate that a couple of gulls, cygnets and fledgling pale in comparison.......

Edit: P.S. i apologize about the pest thing, its a word that should not be used.

From this emotive person.Malta does, somehow and for good reason, ring a big bell.I wonder why?????.You Prat..............:eat:

I have to admit I feel a whole feeling of anger the way any person no matter who decides to use defenseless animals as a source of amusment for whatever reason.
Seagulls have a right to live and breed like any other other animal. They have the right to move around without being used as gun bait by some of our modern societies brain dead, uneducated people who have guns illegally I am sure of that

In the news item it states that is seagulls are seen as pests in modern society. Well modern society only have themselves to blame for that for creating that problem in the first place.

Dropping half eaten big Macs and bags of fish and chips on the ground outside (and that includes Supermarket carparks) creates a larger problem, and human beings are to blame for that, and not the Seagulls.

So Seagulls should not be presecuted for one being Seagulls (and they are successful too) and two being blamed for causing problems by living far too close to humans, so the two clash. Three is they are not only seagulls, but living creatures and they have a right to live 100% per cent.

That is my view on things here :t:

I agree with everything you say Peewit, well said indeed.

ROD.

PandionMlt, I sympathise with you for the evil that you have to put up with on Malta and the sickening sights you have to see on a daily basis but please do not think that that mitigates the actions of idiots with guns elsewhere.

Frankly I do not see the difference between a stupid yob with a gun shooting gulls and stupid grown men shooting birds on Malta. Shooting is shooting and it's all so unnecessary.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you say Peewit, well said indeed.

ROD.

PandionMlt, I sympathise with you for the evil that you have to put up with on Malta and the sickening sights you have to see on a daily basis but please do not think that that mitigates the actions of idiots with guns elsewhere.

Frankly I do not see the difference between a stupid yob with a gun shooting gulls and stupid grown men shooting birds on Malta. Shooting is shooting and it's all so unnecessary.

Hi Rod

Thank you for saying that. :t:

hi Vectis: I agree with what you have said as it is a fact that guns are guns no matter what, whether it be an air rifle or otherwise.

I hate anyone who shoots for fun, and personal gain. :C

It should be a Police issue here, and the Police should take responsibility for all shootings (human and animal alike). Having had similair experiences here, not so long ago, being a witness to a crime has proved a good point here at the end of the day. It was a gun related one too. Air rifle too.

Last edited:

Well said. I find it very strange that people who get (rightly) upset about about cruelty to birds (and animals in general) can sometimes be so quick to wish for similar (or worse) cruelty be inflicted on wrong doers. Even 'yobs' are redeemable as one poster's tale proves.

Neither does stooping to insults advance an argument one whit.

However, neither do I believe that compassion or concern is limited. It is quite possible to express anger and concern about small (in relative terms) acts of cruelty AND still retain your concern about larger scale issues. Yes, a sense of proportion is needed, but that spark of compassion is where it all starts,

John

This is surreal.. Read this thread once. Had to go away and make a cuppa and come back and read it again to make sure I had followed it right.

As I see it, PandionMlt has put forward one view. One that, to me, has a certain amount of logic and validity to it. Others have come back at it, with logic and validity as well.

But what made me need a cuppa was the one poster who went from saying 'shoot 'em, I'll pull the trigger' to the wonderfully reasoned argument of 'you make me puke' to the (and I'll say I'm an emotive person first off which'll make it alright to say) 'You prat'...

Now I'd've just thought 'tsk, tsk, shame they can't reason, this adds precious little to debate' but what I could not get my head around was all this vitriol was written alongside their lickle liddle angel icon and the sickly-sweet religious Reg Heber's claptrap romanticised verse.. God does work in mysterious ways sometimes, doesn't he??? Sometimes I think he's just having a laff with us all.

PandionMlt, I don't agree 100% with what you say, but I respect your right to say it as you have done here.

Rightho, sermon over, now where's a virtual gun for that ruddy virtual puppy???????????

DunnoKev
---------

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand
Ignorance and predjudice and fear walk hand in hand" N Peart

I have a very good idea. Let's just stop arguing about it and agree to differ (yes, I know, I'm a good one to talk). We are, after all, all on the same side, n'est ce pas? Well, at least I think we are.

Love and Peace
VB

Its all in the headline really AIRGUN ATTACK ON SEAGULLS if it said SEAGULLS SHOT WITH AIRGUN dosnt have the same impact even though either way it shows the yobish pathetic world we live in.I was bought up with guns first of all air guns then 4.10 shot gun then eventually 12 bores and it was drilled into me by my dad and granddad not to shoot indisciminatley and only shoot legitimate quarry this stuck with me all the time i owned guns i have given up shooting altogether for my own personal reasons but i have installed the same shooting ethics into my own son who knows right from wrong and i hope he passes it on to his own children eventually sorry about ranting on a bit

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back