• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Binocular Journal (1 Viewer)

I'll give this thread a go. Unfortunately the long Easter weekend was blighted by poor weather but I still managed to see some interesting stuff.

April Fool's Day

1115. At our usual viewing point. Cold (about 7 degrees) and damp, thanks to the rain that had fallen in the morning and over most of the last two days; sky very grey, but visibility into the distance pretty good. Practically no wind forecast - a good thing in one respect as the wind chill can be vicious, but without at least a bit of wind over the city, would they prefer to sit on their perches, rather than take to the air?

We start scanning the sky, on the hunt, going from one silhouette to the next as we search for the one target we are looking for amongst the many birds soaring or flying over the city. All the city gulls (herring gulls, black-headed gulls and lesser black-backed) are too long-winged and have a different manner of flight. Common buzzards (none of these are sighted today) are broader and longer-winged, and soar in a much more relaxed manner. A single domestic or feral pigeon can fly in the right way, with fast powerful wingbeats, but is shorter-winged, and most of the high pigeons we see will also tend to shift in their flight as they commute across the city, rather than fly in the direct manner of the bird we are after - which is also a good reason for them to fly as they do, never flying in a direct course for too long...

1150. I sight the first target I've spotted this stint just over a kilometre or so out from our position, over one of the many cranes engaged in construction work across the city. At this distance there is no mistaking what it is, and we can see it is visibly smaller and thinner-winged than the female my brother had spotted earlier. He goes over the building upon which his mate is probably sitting tight on eggs deep in her sheltered ledge, then comes closer to our position, gaining altitude as he does. Despite the windless conditions (at least at ground level), he, like the female earlier, has no trouble climbing high into the grey April sky - indeed, smaller and lighter, he goes up even more effortlessly, circling upwards rather than tacking back and forth into the sky as she had done. As he nears us my brother comes off his binoculars to guesstimate how high he is. He is higher than the Shard skyscraper, more than a thousand feet above the rooftops.

Less than a minute later he is heading northwest much more purposefully. Where he had not needed a single wingbeat to gain height he is alternating fast glides with three or four rapid cutting strokes of his wings, which resemble in shape the falx, or sickle, that gives that genus of birds their name. He is rapidly diminishing in our binoculars, even though both the big SLC and the old Nobilem Spezial are pretty high magnification, and we hope he will turn before he becomes a tiny flickering dot that finally winks out on us, as the female earlier had done. Fortunately he does not go quite that far. At what must be the boundary of his territory he turns and begins careering across the sky, climbing, then plunging sharply downwards for 250 to 300 feet, recovering, and sweeping upwards. I'm not sure whether he was after something at first, but as he launches into a second near identical stoop I had to assume he was showing his ownership of his territory - or could it be that he was throwing himself into these acrobatics for the pure exhileration of doing so? I have seen other birds flying in similar fashion here and elsewhere, always a privilege to witness whether against a leaden English sky or the blue Mediterranean heavens. After four or five of these spectacular sequences he takes off homewards at a speed that is itself nearly as impressive as his earlier acrobatics. He doesn't fly straight back though, his image in our binoculars shrinking as he gets a little further away from us, and as he enters an area of lower thin cloud he vanishes for a couple of seconds at a time. Finally he performs a short final display flight near his nest building and lands up on the ledge. The time now is 1215.

1330. My brother alerts me to a bird over one of the other big city buildings. It's soon joined in the air by another and both begin circling, the tiercel about 150 feet or so higher than the female. They begin circling closer together, and then the tiercel puts in his first stoop, at a shallow angle and fairly lazily, at the female. Both birds, yet again, begin rising as their circles bring them closer together and further apart. After the tiercel puts in one or two more lazy stoops the pair pick up their pace, the tiercel rising faster and stooping with more panache, more steeply and at greater speed. Then both birds are stooping downward together and chasing each other across the steel-grey sky, one bird just ahead of the other, then after several seconds of high-speed flying, falling back to become the chaser. Up they go until they reach the zone where the cloud layer begins, still chasing each other, appearing and disappearing like ghosts in amongst the lower reaches of thin cloud. A bigger problem than the cloud is the direction they are heading. At 1350 they disappear over the roof and cannot be relocated. Urrrrgh.

Last edited:
Nice report

I enjoy birding in town. There is often a lot going on there of interest if you can handle being stared at by people.

The last couple of days I've been staying on one hilltop which is unusual for me as I'm a hiker and a mover. There are a lot of birds on this hill top and I've been exploring my new Nikon EII and that hilltop is full of wildflowers right now and insectes and lots of birds. It's been very fun. I've seen purple finch, cassiens finch, western bluebird, scrub jay, juncos doing mating dances, a falcon which I could not identify, one Osprey that should not have been there as there is no water near about, vultures, crows. varied thrush and Robins, and several birds I could not identify by name. It's a really pretty hilltop and a nice place to hang in the sun and watch the dogs romp and explore and dig around.

I can't get enough of these new binoculars. I want to thank Bluespiderweb and Bill for encouraging me to buy them.

The last couple of days I've been staying on one hilltop which is unusual for me as I'm a hiker and a mover. There are a lot of birds on this hill top and I've been exploring my new Nikon EII and that hilltop is full of wildflowers right now and insectes and lots of birds. It's been very fun. I've seen purple finch, cassiens finch, western bluebird, scrub jay, juncos doing mating dances, a falcon which I could not identify, one Osprey that should not have been there as there is no water near about, vultures, crows. varied thrush and Robins, and several birds I could not identify by name. It's a really pretty hilltop and a nice place to hang in the sun and watch the dogs romp and explore and dig around.

I can't get enough of these new binoculars. I want to thank Bluespiderweb and Bill for encouraging me to buy them.

You are certainly welcome on my end. I think better than just a good binocular, they are a good value in binoculars. :cat:

Bill

Lucky dogs, the whole lot of you on that hilltop! What more could one ask?!

Enjoy, and keep that silly grin on your face-it's good for ya! I'm with you in spirit, anyway!

I got back to birding this week after being out about ten days with a bad cold. I love my grandchildren dearly, but I'm not crazy about the virulence of what they bring home from daycare. Not that I'm in the world's greatest shape, but what little stamina I had was pretty much shot after being sedentary for that long. I was very pleased to have five outings in four different locations this week using three different binoculars. Three of the sessions were groups led by birders with much more experience than I have--I really appreciate what I learn from those folks.

The first trip was a drive-by of White Point Preserve in San Pedro, a coastal scrub sage habitat preserve. We had an appointment nearby and I realized I could take a quick look. I happened to have my Sightron 8x32 binoculars in the car, so that is what I used. It was a quick visit, less than 45 minutes, and I only walked a small area in the garden around the nature center, but I saw four different species of sparrows there, as well as a Blue Gray Gnatcatcher and Anna's and Allen's Hummingbirds. In the distance I saw Western Meadowlarks, European Starlings, and Red-winged Blackbirds. Brown Pelikans, and Western Gulls flew over. I also saw a Red-tailed Hawk hovering (kiting?) which was a first for me. As always the Sightrons were very comfortable in hand and they have a nice relaxed view, but I noticed that they did not have to snap to focus of my better binoculars. I think part of that is optics, and part of that is the precision and speed of the focuser. At any rate I find myself hunting for focus more with than my better binoculars

The second trip was with my regular Tuesday birding group at Madrona Marsh led by experienced birders. I brought my Maven 9x45 binoculars. I was there for about 1.5 hours and covered about 1.5 miles. We saw about 40 species while I was there, but I had to leave early. I think my favorites were finally getting a good look at a Black-throated Gray Warbler, and my first Myrtle Yellow-rumped Warbler. The Audubon Yellow-rumps are abundant, but the Myrtles are rare here. Madrona feels like my home court birding spot and I always enjoy visiting. The recent rains, some donated water, and Spring migration combine to create quite a bit of action at Mardrona right now. There is something new each day. The Maven 9x45 is my go to binocular. The balance is great so I am able to hold them quite steady, and I use a harness so I don't notice the weight as a strain on my neck when not looking through them. I still get a good view even when I have a very bright background. I think it has more to do with the quality of the baffling and coatings (lack of internal scattering or glare) than the modest increase in magnification from 8x to 9x or increase in aperture (exit pupil). The only critique I can make is that in a thicket I probably would prefer the wider field of view and greater depth of focus of a lower magnification. OTH, looking up through the thicket to see a warbler up high against the bright sky, the 9x45 does a better job than any other binocular that I own.

Trip number three was to a wetland persevere in Gardena that is not as well restored nor does it have the range of habitats or species seen at Madrona. This was once again a group led by experienced birders and once again I was using my Maven 9x45 binoculars. I think we saw between 25 and 30 species, and I enjoyed seeing my first Hooded Oriole this year. Others spotted a pair of Downy Woodpeckers, but alas I only heard them.

Trips four and five were solo trips yesterday and today at the same spot, Entradero Park, right around the corner from me. The park has a pond, a sump, baseball fields, a picnic area, playgrounds, and hiking trails surrounding it. A Palm Warbler that is very fond of the batting cage netting has been reported for about the past week, but I haven't been able to spot it. However, I have seen a nice range of Kingbirds there--Cassin's, Western, and Tropical. Yesterday I used the Maven 9x45, and today for a change of pace I decided to bring the Maven 8x30. Yesterday there were a few Killdeer and swarms of Northern Rough-winged Swallows. Today it was the other way around. I saw a couple Swallows, and there were Killdeer everywhere calling and flying about. Also today I saw a Western Kingbird putting on a display of flying upward from a perch high into the air and then diving down to the pond for a quick skim and then frantically back to a perch, all the while keeping his tail spread. He repeated this again and again. It's Spring!

I had no complaints switching to the 8x30 binocular. They have the same great mechanics and tactile feel, and the same snap to focus and quick focusing action. I did appreciate the wider field of view and greater depth of focus when I was searching for Thrush and Warblers in the wooded picnic corner of the park. Actually, I think the depth of focus may be more important in that situation. Although the 9x45 have a closer close focus, I generally find it easier to focus on something at close range "inside" a bush or a tree with the 8x30. I also like the lighter weight and more compact size when carrying them in my backpack. However, I believe that my 9x45 is a better binocular even in bright circumstances. I think it helps me see more subtle shadings, particularly at a distance and with backlit subject for the reasons I mentioned above. And yet, my birding is much more limited by my knowledge and experience than by ability to distinguish subtle shadings.

Alan

Nice report. You got to see a great variety of birds. I've wanted to try a Maven since I first heard about them. I almost bought the 8x30. It looks just like the compact size and full size performance I would like in a binocular and a nice 130 ft fov. I may own one yet. Instead I got a great deal on a used Kowa Genesis 8x33 and also picked up a Nikon EII 8x30 which is the best optic I've ever looked through hands down. Cost about the same as the Maven.

Well my outing today was very interesting. I always walk with my dogs off leash and I barely keep an eye on them because I train my dogs and I bond deeply with them and they stick around. So I daydream and forget about them for sometimes a half hour or more. I recently picked up a new dog at the shelter where I volunteered. I did work rehabilitating dogs with abuse or neglect issues. He's a Italian Greyhound/ Chihuahua mix and almost pure white, pretty small but not tiny and with amazingly long legs and a deep chest for running hard long and fast. Anyway he loves to explore and we are very bonded but he forgets to follow at times when he sees or smells something fascinating and I have to call him in. This day I walked too far without checking in and I noticed my other dog following at my heels but Buddy was gone. And I mean gone gone. I searched for about 20 minutes and then I got scared. I called up my friend Donna that knows the terrain and asked for her help covering that area.

Buddy is not good around cars and that was my biggest worry, because if he all of a sudden became aware that he had lost me he might head for home and that direction includes many roads and a very busy road with lots of traffic at almost all times. I yelled and whistled for about an hour frantic. Somehow I keep calling my friend who was searching but there was no answers. I left four messages but got no calls. It was very windy and lightly raining so my voice and whistle which is fairly loud got blown away a lot. Finally I decided to head for town to see if he was crazy enough to head there. While running and frantically whistling I faintly heard a dog bark. It sounded just like Buddy but was not anywhere near our usual route which is the only one we use to get up to this spot. Every time I whistled I heard that faint barking and it sounded frantic. I started running fast and that's not very easy for this old guy. I finally got about three quarters of the way home and I saw him in my Zen 7x36s and he was running down the middle of a street going in the wrong direction barking frantically. I yelled with all my might and on the third yell he saw me and made a greyhound beeline into my arms. I was so glad.
All this time my other dog Nina an very small Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix was faithfully at my heels and I had never once looked to see if she was with me because she never goes far from me. So we started the hike over in a happy mood. I finally found my friend searching frantically and we found out her phone is not working and she never got a ring and no voicemail messages. She had the two dogs I had trained for her which are really big guys. One is about 125 lb. named Kilo. He's a perfect dog in every way and I actually owned him for several years but he fell so deeply in love with Donna's dog and with Donna that I felt he wanted to be there full time so I gave him to her. Anyway, I saw western bluebirds and juncos mostly, a raven and one falcon that was moving fast and I couldn't identify what type. Not much else but it sure was an exciting and exhausting hike. When we got home we all got home made ice cream and had a little celebration.

Last edited:
BC
That was a nerve-wracking adventure you had. Glad it ended well.
Its a nice thread you have going here BC, its always great to hear of folks' experiences of nature observing.

Lee

Yes, glad to hear you found Buddy, I was concerned! That must have been an exhausting day, but in the end all is well, and that is good. Keep an eye peeled for that guy. He might even stick closer now too!

It is a good thread, as Lee said, and even better it's a nice change of pace for us not just being about binoculars, but what we see and what transpires in a day with bins. Thanks for this one, John!

On the regular hike today I really didn't see anything of note. Birds were not about. It's been very windy the last two days but nice sunshine today with some fluffy clouds. However later in the day I went down to the pond by my sisters house that runs along Ashland Creek and meets Bear Creek at the pond on it's way to the famous Rogue River here in Oregon. At the pond there was some action. Lots of white crowned sparrows, redwing blackbirds, ducks I can't name, and bushtits. The Redwing blackbirds were really in full song and if you know them then you know what that is like. Only one person was down there so it was very nice in the late afternoon sun. Just me and the dogs. About a week ago when I was there I came up on a Great Blue Heron that was hunting in the creek and didn't see me due to the high banks. I was within about 15 ft when it flew up and I had the 10x32 right on him and he was so close I just had a part of him in my sights. Very cool to see one flying at that range in a bino.

On the way home I took a last look at the Tract 10x42 at my friends house to see if I wanted to trade them for my Zen 7x36 and $250 bucks. I did not. I really didn't think they were something I'd use that much and they were heavy. Better than my Meopro but not that much really. Better at the edges and better contrast but just a bit. However I did then sell her my Zens for $250 and she knows about the non warranty issue. She's about to finally order the Zeiss Victory 10x42 as her main birding bino. I told her she wasn't that sure she'd really like 10x all the time and she should at least have something else so she liked the Zens enough to buy them. It was hard to part with them for emotional reasons but I have two amazing 8x and I don't plan on needing anything else for now.
I kind of plan and hope to be done with purchasing binoculars for awhile. When I came back here I wanted some new binoculars and I've succeeded beyond my expectations especially with the Nikon EII. So I'm just going to use them now for awhile and forget the buying part. You can slap me hard if that turns out to be some BS.

I kind of plan and hope to be done with purchasing binoculars for awhile. When I came back here I wanted some new binoculars and I've succeeded beyond my expectations especially with the Nikon EII. So I'm just going to use them now for awhile and forget the buying part. You can slap me hard if that turns out to be some BS.

John,

Good luck with the buying abstinence! ;)

Actually, those wonderful EII's are just what the doctor ordered...Enjoy!! :king:

Ted

It's the SF. I'm trying to get her to order before she changes her mind again lol. The 10% off is a little incentive right now. She's a procrastinator due to insecurity. I've seen her take almost a year and several returns on a tiny pull out knob for a tiny drawer in a bathroom that is only for guest use. I could tell stories about what she does around decisions that you'd think I was totally making up.

Last edited:
Beautiful day here in southern Oregon. Warm sun broken up with nice white clouds. I hiked up to a ridgeline at about 6000 ft. on one of my favorite trails. My third day using the 8x30 EII. What a beautiful optic. I've never felt this way about one of my binoculars before. I guess it must be love. I can hardly put them down.

Being on the ridge I was at the height that a lot of the Turkey Vultures were cruising at. I sited in on one coming straight towards me. I was looking him right in the eye and he was staring right back and I could just hear him saying "those are some nice optics bro but mine are better". It was beautiful looking it right in the eye and so close. Caught a nice Red Tail also right overhead. Beautiful colors and I could see all kinds of detail I just don't usually see. Did I say I'm in love?

On the way back down into town I was still very high and maybe two or three as the bird flies miles away. A cloud was overhead and I was in shade but the town was in full sun. The view was so bright and clear that just for a split second I had the very funny feeling that I was actually in town looking at it. It felt like me eyes were 20 years younger today. I love this bin so much I bought another last night so I would never be without if something happened to it. It's that bad. Or good.

I birded at Briones Regional Park this morning, about 7 miles from where I live in the east Bay Area. I did a 3 mile out and back hike to a campground, primarily on a rolling, gravel trail, in and out of clumps of Oaks and Bay Laurel trees. It was clear and sunny, though a bit breezy, after some rain last week, so there was a bit of mud, but mostly dry trails. The hills are green, the trees that were bare, are leafing out, and there is a profusion of flowers on the hills.
Birds of interest for me were the Orange-crowned Warbler, which I've been hearing the last few weeks, but can rarely see, as it sits still among the green leaves, singing its long, descending trill. You can get pretty close to the bird, and still not be able spot the little guy. I did get a couple of views, and even a photo of it this time. A bit further along the trail I heard a Bullock's Oriole, singing up a garrulous storm, atop an oak. The first one I've seen this year. A loud bird with an orange yellow head. Next view of note was a Nuttall's woodpecker working away above me, its red crest backlit by the sun, under the shaded canopy of a huge oak. It was a treat through my Nikon MHG 8x42 binoculars, which have been my regular go to bin for some time.

I reached the campground, which is a flowered, sloping meadow tucked up against a partially wooded hillside flanking it on 2 sides, with a small drainage on the third. There was a good assortment of birds there, many periodically sitting on a fence across the meadow, as I sat at a picnic table perhaps a 150 feet away. House Finches, Barn Swallows, a pair of Lark Sparrows, Western Bluebirds, Black Phoebes, and a Western Kingbird. A flock of pigeons wheeled around a few times, spooked by something (perhaps me). Acorn Woodpeckers were squawking away, but of course the Steller's Jays were much louder and more frequent. Its always fun to luck into a lively assortment of birds, where they keep on doing what they're doing for the most part, and one just gets to witness it all. It was a good walk.

-Bill

p.s. for those that watched the masters, did you hear all the birds singing away? Anyone ID them by sound? Bird song was LOUD..

What I really enjoy in this thread is getting a peek into the optics and days of my fellow posters. Just seeing how they recreate and get the descriptions of where they are in this big world. Lots of the descriptions are good enough to make it seem like I'm there watching. It's a big beautiful world guys. We are the lucky ones who are looking at it in some kind of peace and security. That's how it should be IMO.

Bill, I just looked up your park because I liked your description of it-it just sounded like a nice place to be. It sure is, now that I've seen it on Google! Our Xfinity cable uses one shot of the area on our screensaver, and I thought I recognized the area from when I was interested in the Rivendell bicycles in Walnut Creek, right down the road from Moraga, I see! They used to ride that trail over the mountains all the time to try out their new bikes, and would show b&w pictures in the newsletter and tell of the ups and downs there!

But what a beautiful park!!! Love the high views to the mountains, and the other to the bay! Lots of place (singular) and space to bird, for sure! Though it must be hard to pick just a little piece of it to cover? Enjoy, and have a blast, you lucky guy! Seems to be no shortage of birds either!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back