• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Vanguard Endeavor EDs have arrived!!!! (1 Viewer)

RoadsterGirlie

The following is for the original version of the EDs - not the II or the IV. If anybody has read my thread in the Nikon section, you'll know that I was in the market for an economical binocular in the sub $200 range. I was leaning heavily on the Prostaff 7s 10x42. I had pretty much ruled out the Action Extremes as while I was hearing great things about the crisp views from these porro prisms, the weight of 2.5lbs would just not be practical for birding.

I originally wanted these solely for astronomy purposes, but the more I read up on them, the more birding sounded like a fun daytime activity with them and we have all kinds of nature trails where I live where I could use them. That's when I ruled out Porros altogether and decided to stick to the lighter roof design.

I going to wait a couple of weeks after pretty much deciding on the Prostaffs, but then a one day sale from B&H last week on the Vanguard Endeavors at $160 changed that. I had never heard of this brand, but it didn't take a lot of Internet digging to find they were not only a reputable company, but a couple of steps above anything in my current price range with a normal retail of $250-$300. These were meant to compete with Nikon's Monarch line, which I wasn't previously considering due to price.

I hate buying stuff sight unseen but it seemed like I'd be an idiot to pass these up. And of course I could always return them if I didn't like them. So I pulled the trigger.

In my 2 hour crash research project on these before adding to cart, the only negative I was seeing was these had worse than normal chromatic abberation. This had me a bit concerned because while the word CA pops up with other makes and models as well in even higher price range, reviews seemed to include that this was an issue very frequently.

I received them on Tuesday, and I've had them out twice now. While the CA is there on occasion depending on the lighting, it's really not that bad. You have to really look for it, and I will say I may not have even noticed it had I not read about it before hand. The only time it was somewhat distracting was looking at a white egret with the sun behind me shining on it. A slight purple hue seemed to outline it on one side. What's even more interesting is I went out again last night at the same time of day, saw the egrets close to the same spot and the purple hue this time was greatly reduced. It was there if I tried looking for it, but not nearly as distracting as it was the previous night. Now to be fair, these birds are WHITE so I'd be curious to see if other brands of binoculars would pick up n this as well.

Sometimes I'll get purple/blue fringing on the perimeter of the view, but it's not that terrible and I really have to be looking for it. If my eyes are straight ahead where they should be, I won't see it at all. Even when I go to look for it, it's not always visible.

As far as crispness, brightness and clarity are concerned, these rival the Nikon Monarch 5. I tried a bunch out at Bass Pro Shops before these arrived, and while I did not care for the short FOV in the M5, the crispness and contrast was out of this world - nothing else came close. I'd really love to test these next to each other side by side. Where I go for viewing is a marshy wetland swamp with a boardwalk running through it off of the Chattahoochee river. Even 300 feet away I can see tiny ripples in the water with bugs skimming across.

I also have no problems holding them steady in spite of the fact they're 10x42 and 26 oz, which is just a tad higher in weight than the others I've tried.

The case and strap are very nice, and I like that the eye cup as well as lens covers both front and back are flexible rubber as opposed to hard plastic. It's much more comfortable and I don't feel like the covers are going to fall off and get lost. I also like that the front covers are attached to also help from getting them lost.

I know it's a toss up for people, but I enjoy the .75 revolution focuser as opposed to the 1.5 revolution focuser that's common on other models. I can get things in focus faster, especially when jumping around. I went from vintage Bushnells with the Instafocus (teeter totter design), so to be fair, anything I'm using is going to be a step above that. The wheel is smooth and steady and don't have any issues going past where I need to be.

I'd say these are superior to pretty much everything else I've tested in the store, which include the Vortex Diamondback, Steiner Predator, Nikon Prostaffs, and Zeiss Terra. I want to say the Monarch 5 holds its own against these, but the FOV is still a huge detractor on that one.

Amazon has these right now for $234, and while I got mine at the steal of $160, I'd still say this is a very fair price. I hope that if you are in the market for these, you've found my review helpful.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has had this model for about a year now and he's landed with them. I don't think I'll tell him how much you paid though;)

Rich

A friend of mine has had this model for about a year now and he's landed with them. I don't think I'll tell him how much you paid though;)

Rich

Rich

'Landed' with them? Is this an ancient Welsh-language Druidical term culled from deep in the Welsh hinterland, probably spelled Llanded in the old days? I'm guessing it means deleriously happy.:king:

Lee

Rich

'Landed' with them? Is this an ancient Welsh-language Druidical term culled from deep in the Welsh hinterland, probably spelled Llanded in the old days? I'm guessing it means deleriously happy.:king:

Lee
Lol. Didn't realise it geographically restricted:-O Yes. He's very happy.

Rich

I bought the original model Vanguard Endeavor (8.5x45) when my 15-year-old Viking porros started to splutter. I used them exclusively for at least two years as my first ownership of modern roofs, and took them everywhere - Poland, Bulgaria, Portugal as well as all over East Anglia.
I sold them to a friend when i got the EDII, which had the same fast focus but a flatter field and edge-to-edge sharpness (plus less CA).
The CA thing is one of those issues that bothers some and not others; few models are close to CA-free (Zeiss FL / Kowa Prominar being the most noteworthy). However, you're going to pay a lot, lot more for them.
I sold my EDIs to a friend locally, who is still delighted with them, and thinks he stole them from me at a price much more than you paid for yours!
Congratulations on your bargain!

Sounds like you made an excellent choice, and ended up with a great result!

Thanks for telling us how it all turned out.

...Mike

I bought the original model Vanguard Endeavor (8.5x45) when my 15-year-old Viking porros started to splutter. I used them exclusively for at least two years as my first ownership of modern roofs, and took them everywhere - Poland, Bulgaria, Portugal as well as all over East Anglia.
I sold them to a friend when i got the EDII, which had the same fast focus but a flatter field and edge-to-edge sharpness (plus less CA).
The CA thing is one of those issues that bothers some and not others; few models are close to CA-free (Zeiss FL / Kowa Prominar being the most noteworthy). However, you're going to pay a lot, lot more for them.
I sold my EDIs to a friend locally, who is still delighted with them, and thinks he stole them from me at a price much more than you paid for yours!
Congratulations on your bargain!

Thank you! I may do the same as you in a couple of years if I end up sticking with this hobby, but for now these are fabulous. And I figure at the discount I received I can always sell them probably for more than what I paid for them if that time ever comes. As for the CA issue, I'd say it gets in the way about 10% of the time, depending on what I'm looking at and where the sun is shining. I wouldn't mind having less of it, but right now it's definitely manageable.

Still, the crispness and clarity surpasses anything else I tried, minus the Monarch 5's which I talked about earlier.

And LOL @ClarkWGriswold I didn't know what landed meant either!!! Glad I do now!!!!

PS. I just looked up the location of "Caerbannog" and it appears to be a fictional place from Monte Python. I was thinking this was a real town across the pond from me.... :D

Last edited:
well, the whole thing's a journey.... when i bought mine, i couldn't believe how out of touch i'd become. The EDs compared to what i'd been apparently quite happy with for over a decade were just a revelation. Of course, this opened the world of optics generally - and then, of course, you're rarely satisfied!
My bird i.d. got better, my level of interest got better, the trips i made got better....i've got a lot to thank Vanguard for.

Tina

The delight that you have found in your new binos and will develop further as you progress with your birding, can be extended infinitely if you begin taking a look at stuff such as flowers and butterflies, bees and dragonflies, lichens and fungi and even stuff underwater in pools and rivers. Did you ever watch a nature show with close-ups of some of the above subjects? And did you ever think it is impossible to get fabulous views like that in real life? Well you can experience these with close-focusing binos. It just takes a mental adjustment to shrug off the concept that binos are only for looking at distant subjects and to realise they are fabulously versatile instruments for observing nature. James, who is a member and a professional user of optics, told us about a neat trick that we have been using these last few days (we are on holiday on a remote Scottish island just now) and that is to place the eyepiece of the binos over a small object of interest and look through the objective lens and with a bit of adjustment of distances you have a decent magnifier.
To think of binos as only for looking at distant subjects is to do them an injustice and to miss out on a world of fascination and enjoyment and learning.

Lee

Last edited:
I didn’t know Monte Python was fiction either until a couple of days ago. I know. I was shocked too... :(

@Troubador thank so for the tip, I will try it! I love looking at other stuff too, including flowers, dragonflies butterflies and all kinds of other stuff found in nature.

When it comes to birding, I’m probably the most beginner person on this forum. I found a site though that’s helpful for learning birds of Georgia and offers a set of flash card quizzes. I also never realized how intense the battle of the sexes is between cardinals until I have gotten to know the pairing that hang out in my back yard. Those two make me laugh every time I find them. The male just cannot win.

My mom lives in this beautiful spot on the river up on Michigan with two acres of wooded property. She also loves nature (she can name almost every bird known to man, unlike me), but has a pair of $20 Walmart bins that are borderline unusable. I told her I’m getting her a real pair for Christmas so she can see the difference. I’m thinking a pair of 8x42 Prostaff 7s’s will do nicely for her.

Sounds terrific Tina and what a lovely idea to bet your Mom some nice binos. This will make it so much easier to share your mutual interest in nature.

I have preached at you enough already but I will mention one more thing and that is to watch your local and familiar birds as much as possible, and never stop looking at them. Why? Because the more you can recognise these easily and eventually without even thinking about it, the more easily will you spot a bird that is unfamiliar and different.

Thats enough from me.

Lee

May your new acquisition give you much joy Roadster. I know when I have been away from my binoculars for a while it feels like a minor miracle to pick them up, look through them and suddenly see what I am looking at in 8x or 10x magnification. I had a quick google for common birds of your State and many, including the cardinals you've been seeing, look like they would be fascinating to observe. It never ceases to amaze me how different the common/garden birds are between Birdforum members on different continents.

May your new acquisition give you much joy Roadster. I know when I have been away from my binoculars for a while it feels like a minor miracle to pick them up, look through them and suddenly see what I am looking at in 8x or 10x magnification. I had a quick google for common birds of your State and many, including the cardinals you've been seeing, look like they would be fascinating to observe. It never ceases to amaze me how different the common/garden birds are between Birdforum members on different continents.

My mind is blown right now. You don’t have cardinals? It’s amazing what one takes for granted. I’ve grown up on cardinals, blue jays, and chickadees my whole life, and hadn’t put much thought into the fact until now that not everyone has them. I guess it makes sense since birds don’t migrate across he ocean, and that’s why you have a completely different set! Now I’ve got to look up and see what you’ve got.

Not that they need it yet, but after getting caught in the rain last night, I was wondering how often is acceptable to clean a pair of binocs. I'm thinking the answer is no different from my telescope, which is as little as possible, but if I could get some guidance, that'd be great.

Luckily in spite of getting caught in the rain, I was able to get the caps on before getting caught in the downpour so the glass did not get wet. Still, it got me thinking - I'm thinking it's not good to be OCD about every single speck of dust you see on the lens that can't be blown off with canned air. Even then, advice on the subject would be appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back