• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1500.00 budget (1 Viewer)

JamesnTN

First thank you all for allowing me to be a member here.

I’m in search for a binocular in the 1500.00 range that is easy on the eyes has good eye relief and optically as near perfect as can be.
I have my eye on the Kowa Genesis but I’d like a much more in depth opinion from those of you who does this all the time. I am not fortunate to be able to buy 3-4 pair to test so I have make the right choice from the get go.
Thanks in advance.

James

I’m in search for a binocular in the 1500.00 range that is easy on the eyes has good eye relief and optically as near perfect as can be.
I have my eye on the Kowa Genesis but I’d like a much more in depth opinion from those of you who does this all the time. I am not fortunate to be able to buy 3-4 pair to test so I have make the right choice from the get go.
Thanks in advance.

James

Hello James and welcome!

There are many fine binoculars in your price range so some more information about you and your intended use would help narrow the field.

Do you wear glasses, what do you want to see, what kind of environment will you be in when you’re using the binoculars? With that type of information you’re sure to get suggestions more suited to your specific requirements.

Best,
Jerry

Thanks in advance.

James
Can you afford another $175.00 for one of the best binoculars if not the best binocular out there. It is optically perfect as can be. Act fast!

https://www.astromart.com/classifie...binoculars/show/swarovski-85x42-el-nearly-new

Hello James and welcome!

There are many fine binoculars in your price range so some more information about you and your intended use would help narrow the field.

Do you wear glasses, what do you want to see, what kind of environment will you be in when you’re using the binoculars? With that type of information you’re sure to get suggestions more suited to your specific requirements.

Best,
Jerry

Mainly viewing wildlife in the field and woods. I do wear glasses but usually remove them looking thru optics. As my site is only bad near field as in reading.

I’m use to high end optics from camera lens to scopes so what I want to stay away from is chromatic aberration and vignetting.
Not sure what more to ask as I’ve never seeked out high end binoculars until now.

Can you afford another $175.00 for one of the best binoculars if not the best binocular out there. It is optically perfect as can be. Act fast!

https://www.astromart.com/classifie...binoculars/show/swarovski-85x42-el-nearly-new

Yes sir I can afford 175.00 more. May I ask what makes this pair possibly one of the best pair of binoculars? I only ask as I’ve looked thru a swavorski high end spotter and compared it to my Kowa 883 and in all honesty I thought my Kowa resolved better imaging over the swavorski. Now I know I’m talking a spotter over binos but I just wanted to mention my experience between the two brands.

I went to that site to see the binos and tried to join but they wanted way too much info to my liking and a 15.00 fee I can’t see this just to buy a binocular on a one time deal.

I can only do this once so I’m trying to do all the homework I possibly can. You guys here are more professional on glass than anyone or any group I can think of so I’m putting my trust in all of you.
I don’t have any place locally here in middle TN to be able to handle the upper end glass.

Last edited:
$15.00 is a small price to pay to get that kind of a deal on a Swarovski 8.5x42 FP in like new condition. I think a lot of members would agree it is one of the best all around binoculars you can buy. It is one of my favorites and I have probably had 100 binoculars. Allbino's say's it is one of the best binoculars they have ever tested. " We tested this pair of binoculars with real pleasure – undoubtedly it is one of the best optical instruments we’ve ever dealt with." Buy it you will like it. Offer him $1500.00 and he will come down to $1600.00.

https://www.allbinos.com/251-binoculars_review-Swarovski_EL_8.5x42_Swarovision.html

Last edited:
James

Don't be rushed into a purchase because of a sale price. A nice low price will give you a warm glow for a short while, a pair of binos that really suits your needs will give pleasure and utility for much longer.

Lee

Ok James that’s very helpful information in narrowing your choices. Eye relief won’t be an issue for you and you don’t need anything super powerful since you already have the Kowa scope. You appreciate a quality view and don’t need to make comprises to save a few dollars.

Deciding between7 or 8x, 10x, 12x. Are your hands steady or do you tremble a little (I’ve gotten a lit shakey as I’ve aged). Will you be observing close-up or or more at a distance (think in the woods vs. across open fields or ponds).

Deciding between objective sizes, 30 or 32mm, 40mm, 56mm. Will you be observing in dim conditions such as twilight or early morning? Are weight or bulk limiting factors? Do you want something to slip into a coat pocket or are you willing to use a binocular harness if it means the best view? Will you be using them on long hikes or just stepping out of a car?

We’re just about there! With these answers we have a really good chance of suggesting the best binoculars for you suited to your particular needs and situation.

Best,
Jerry

Last edited:
What is the three XXX etching that is on the Swaro 8.5X42 also listed on CN, purchased from Cabelas bargain cave, were they a reject?, Why does Cabelas mark up the glass like that?, Blasphemy I say, to mark a glass like that.

Andy W.

It could be that a bottle of Hennessey 3 star cognac was included, although these bottles can fetch $1,000 by themselves.

Or the owner marked the binocular.
Or they were somehow substandard.

But the binocular looks expensive to me for an unknown, marked item.

A trip to the nearest location that stocks top end binoculars would be useful to sample and buy the most suitable binocular.
One should buy the tested binocular not a boxed untested sample as there is variation in quality even with top binoculars.

Binastro,

It is true about variation in quality of premium glass, perhaps more common today than yesteryear like the Nikon SE, I always thought each sample optical/quality wise was the same.

Andy W.

Ok James that’s very helpful information in narrowing your choices. Eye relief won’t be an issue for you and you don’t need anything super powerful since you already have the Kowa scope. You appreciate a quality view and don’t need to make comprises to save a few dollars.

Deciding between7 or 8x, 10x, 12x. Are your hands steady or do you tremble a little (I’ve gotten a lit shakey as I’ve aged). Will you be observing close-up or or more at a distance (think in the woods vs. across open fields or ponds).

Deciding between objective sizes, 30 or 32mm, 40mm, 56mm. Will you be observing in dim conditions such as twilight or early morning? Are weight or bulk limiting factors? Do you want something to slip into a coat pocket or are you willing to use a binocular harness if it means the best view? Will you be using them on long hikes or just stepping out of a car?

We’re just about there! With these answers we have a really good chance of suggesting the best binoculars for you suited to your particular needs and situation.

Best,
Jerry

Jerry,

Probably either an 8-10x is all I seek as for objective nothing larger than say a 44. I don’t mind the weight as I’m use to carrying around 40# of gear with a camera, lens and tripod setup.

The hard part on my viewing is I like to be in the woods and also out in the fields. So I know more magnification close is not good but too little in the field is just as bad. So I’m seeking something that works both ways. I definetly don’t seek a pocket size binos so that’s definetly out for me.
I understand a one size don’t fit all here so I have to compromise somewhere between viewing close up vs further distances. Time of days would usually be early and late. Mid day seems to be not as productive for wildlife as they aren’t as active.
James

It could be that a bottle of Hennessey 3 star cognac was included, although these bottles can fetch $1,000 by themselves.

Or the owner marked the binocular.
Or they were somehow substandard.

But the binocular looks expensive to me for an unknown, marked item.

A trip to the nearest location that stocks top end binoculars would be useful to sample and buy the most suitable binocular.
One should buy the tested binocular not a boxed untested sample as there is variation in quality even with top binoculars.

My problem in my area is there are no high end stores that carry a variety of glass to view. Yes they may have one particular brand but that’s not a good way to make any comparison between other brands or sizes.

I would say from what you said right there an 8x42 would suit your needs perfect. The stores around here are pretty limited in brand variety also. They have mainly Swarovski at the high end and Vortex in the middle with some mid-priced Nikon's and lower end Nikon's and a few Bushnell's thrown in.

My problem in my area is there are no high end stores that carry a variety of glass to view. Yes they may have one particular brand but that’s not a good way to make any comparison between other brands or sizes.

You do not say where you are in TN, but you have Memphis on the W,
Nashville in the middle, Knoxville on the E side of the state.
I would suggest going to one of the bigger sporting goods stores,
and see which binocular looks best, feels best, has pleasing optics
and a good return policy
8x40 m/l is probably best all around size, but lighter 8x32s are preferred by many.
It is not what we like, or recommend; but what works for you.

edj

You do not say where you are in TN, but you have Memphis on the W,
Nashville in the middle, Knoxville on the E side of the state.
I would suggest going to one of the bigger sporting goods stores,
and see which binocular looks best, feels best, has pleasing optics
and a good return policy
8x40 m/l is probably best all around size, but lighter 8x32s are preferred by many.
It is not what we like, or recommend; but what works for you.

edj

I’m an hour SE of Nashville and the only sporting good place that has anything of significance is Bass Pro, but again they are very limited on brands in the price range I seek so its difficult to look at one brand and make a choice.

Last edited:
James a couple of things I forgot to mention in my reply to your PM. The Kowa Genesis has zero CA it just isn't there and they as good a set of eye cups as you can find. Thats been mentioned before by several people. Good Luck
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back