• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nutting's or Brown crested flycatcher? Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

jamesevry

Seen in Guanacaste, CR in July. Thinking nuttings, but didn't hear it call and don't know what features to look for.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-10-00-16-22.jpeg
    Screenshot_2018-08-10-00-16-22.jpeg
    720.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_2018-08-10-00-15-21.jpeg
    Screenshot_2018-08-10-00-15-21.jpeg
    794.6 KB · Views: 26
Why do you think nuttings? I’m not sure but I was thinking bcfl because the bill doesn’t look that large and I’m not seeing obvious yellow secondaries. That being said the secondary color is pretty intermediate and open to interpretation in my eyes.

I thought nuttings because the bird appeared slightly smaller and smaller billed than other bc flycatchers that I saw and heard, and because the garrigues fieldguide mentions cinnamon rump (cf grey brown rump in bc). Have very little experience with either though!

Here is a clearer shot of the rump. I have several other angles if there are other features that may be useful with a better look

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-18-15-04-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-18-15-04-21.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 16
Our guide in CR said these two were the most difficult to separate...

They’re very difficult to tell apart and by far the best way is by voice. I don’t have a lot of experience with them but I thought Nittings had a larger bill than Brown-crested. Either way, I am sure that Nutrings is supposed to have yellowish secondaries and in the new pictures they do look clearly yellow suggesting Nuttings as far as I know.

There is quite a bit of subsp variation in both species, and I don't remember them from CR nor do I have guides handy, but beware using US or Mexico guides to try to divine things here :)

Is there an image more clearly showing the underside of the tail? Nuttings should have the dark edges on the underside of the tail becoming a terminal band while the BcFl does not. Bill on Nuttings shown as smaller than BC. Yellow edgings on outer secondaries in both. All according to the Peterson field guide to northern CA. (Fagan and Kumar).

Compare images by searching the gallery from the link at the end of the pages (but as PBJosh states, check where the photo was taken):
https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Brown-crested_Flycatcher
https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Nutting's_Flycatcher

Niels

Yes, very tough to separate, more so than field guides can indicate. The best way other than call is the shape of the bill, if short and straight like this one a Nutting's, and yes, also has a prominent rufous rump so it looks good for a Nutting's.

Thanks a lot all for your input, very interesting. Niels, unfortunately I don't have any other photos that show the underside of the tail.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back