• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (3 Viewers)

Kudos on Lanius Excubitor, great painting with solid use of colour. All the more amazing considering it is extinct in France...
Dabchick a brill piece of observe and paint what you see, all the better for it too, you just dont see enough paintings like this Nick. Recently saw some photos of some of these birds in Sweden hiding under ice.

. Recently saw some photos of some of these birds in Sweden hiding under ice.
Eh? - Isn't that 'Damien' you're thinking of? - Please show!
Oh - yes, artwork. Hmmm - how does one comment without risk of repeating everyone else and/or oneself? Can't so I shan't.
I'll just look and enjoy - again and again. . . . .

Eh? - Isn't that 'Damien' you're thinking of? - Please show!
Oh - yes, artwork. Hmmm - how does one comment without risk of repeating everyone else and/or oneself? Can't so I shan't.

It is difficult when it comes to commenting on folks artwork!...[i think i'm gonna have to invent some new superlatives to describe some of the great work i see on this forum].....!

Amazing bird these, rare in Sweden in winter,but hardy, I reckon they probably travel huge distances just to hang on to open water in a big freeze. Heres a photo from Thomas Persson. Living in Sweden,or any place in serious northern climes, gives you a whole new perpestive on what a migrant species is. Moorhen, a serious long distant migrant,Not? think again....
Little Grebe as experienced by by Derry...exonerated by a slightly drunk me...

Ps. Wooton; the Redbreast works just fine;)

Attachments

• LG.jpg
    LG.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 58
These two are just copying what I saw.

I beg to differ there Nick.

Images like the grebe and the coots etc may be from real, witnessed events, but you have the enviable ability to take what you've seen and distill it to the patterns, textures etc., and put that down in such a way that others can feel what you felt rather than just what you saw.

Mike

Tim's right it's hard to know what to say that doesn't sound like a repeat of someone. But still you want to say something. So for me it's:" boy does this make me want to get outside and sketch." I always mean that as the highest compliment.

Morning all - in a bid to control the intense dread that driving instils in me, I've now resumed the 'Early Morning Driving to Places of Great Interest', or EMDPGI. This involves dashing off before dawn with as much coffee in me as my veins and bladder will tolerate, to far-flung places where it's a lot colder than I was expecting and a north wind is blowing, all this without proper insulation and no gloves. Put another way, I went to my old favourite Pagney this morning, and though it was bitterly cold, it was thoroughly enjoyable. Best of the day were 10 Garganeys, of which 9 were stunning males. The rare treat of bubbling Curlew (nearly extinct round here) and over 100 Lapwing (not doing much better, this is the only site I know of where they nest). The first Chiffchaff was back, a pair of Red Kites drifted over, and a Hare met up with a group of Great White Egrets. That's enough writing now, so I'll stop telling the story in Ballamory and get on with putting pics up.

(the writing is pure sleep deprivation, the artwork can also blame cold hands)

Here is Zippy, being very helpful as usual. So close to the metal, the paint froze almost instantly and it was like spreading a Slush Puppie onto paper. (I imagine, don't think I've ever done that for real)

Attachments

• Pagney Mars 2010 011.JPG
    Pagney Mars 2010 011.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Pagney Mars 2010 012.JPG
    Pagney Mars 2010 012.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Pagney Mars 2010 019.JPG
    Pagney Mars 2010 019.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Pagney Mars 2010 020.JPG
    Pagney Mars 2010 020.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Pagney Mars 2010 001small.jpg
    Pagney Mars 2010 001small.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 60
Next, reed bunting, chiffchaff, gw egrets, hare, lapwings, oh and a rarity in the form of a genuine Greylag goose! Only the second one I've seen in France.

Attachments

• Pagney Mars 2010 013.JPG
    Pagney Mars 2010 013.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Pagney Mars 2010 014.JPG
    Pagney Mars 2010 014.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Pagney Mars 2010 015.JPG
    Pagney Mars 2010 015.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Pagney Mars 2010 016.JPG
    Pagney Mars 2010 016.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 35
  • Pagney Mars 2010 017.JPG
    Pagney Mars 2010 017.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 39
I find I never have enough time to do all the paintings I want.... No, correction, I often can't be a*sed to paint at home, and often leave little paintings of happy moments aside in order to do bigger pictures. So whilst warming up in the car, I thought I'd do a proper, quick watercolour of the chiffy with his reed bunting companion. Also as I am the greatest photo-gopher ever to exist, here are some photos of the garganeys - spring is coming!

Attachments

• Pagney Mars 2010 018.JPG
    Pagney Mars 2010 018.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Pagney Mars 2010 004small.jpg
    Pagney Mars 2010 004small.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Pagney Mars 2010 005small.jpg
    Pagney Mars 2010 005small.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Pagney Mars 2010 006small.jpg
    Pagney Mars 2010 006small.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 48
For complicated reasons I haven't been able to have any caffeine for 24 hours. I dreaded trying to wake up enough to drive in safely to work this morning.

Boy did these do the trick. I'm awake now! As Arthur says they're you at your very best/ Bright, simple, direct and full of life. I didn't realize how large you were working. My guess is that this makes them even more impressive.

Need to come back and look again later today.

I find I never have enough time to do all the paintings I want.... No, correction, I often can't be a*sed to paint at home, and often leave little paintings of happy moments aside in order to do bigger pictures. So whilst warming up in the car, I thought I'd do a proper, quick watercolour of the chiffy with his reed bunting companion. Also as I am the greatest photo-gopher ever to exist, here are some photos of the garganeys - spring is coming!

BBC wildlfe photographer award might have to wait a while with regard to your mantlepiece, but wouldn't mind having the Reed Bunt and Chiff painting on mine. What a treasure...
The sketches are great of course, the strutting, head high grebes are great, garganey in flight also caught my attention in the midst of some exceptional pages of work. Fill the tank up soon please....
Back to minus 10 here, I've had enough, off to Ireland in the morning for a nine day sabatical, more human climes and Bull Island, which will be bursting at the seams with lots of great birds! Sketchbook packed. 30 euro return, gotta love ryanair sometimes....

A thoroughly lovely account - I couldn't have done a stroke without my fingerless gloves (or fiddlers, as Sal calls 'em ;)) yet here's page after page of characterful craft and art with the added bonus of a fully fledged watercolour - superb. The garganey lads look like CFT's been around and I'd really love to see that one with a bit of studio time invested - so much mileage in this one visit (in more ways than one. Zippy looks to be behaving perfectly too - very neat setup there.
Chris Packham- eat yer heart out. Great to see someone up to my photography skils, too.

Just catching up- that team of drake Garganey on the sheet with the grebes. I love the way Garganey exist in two forms- in one they are all colour, stripes, spots and what have you, but in the other they are utterly essential- white eyestripe, hint of angle where bill meets head and the rest just part of the background.

Ed's just summed up exactly what I'll be trying to achieve in today's studio work!

I had planned to have a nice relaxing Sunday of painting - getting up late with a nice cup of tea, but no, not to be! Last night I checked our local birdnews database online to read that a Great Northern Diver had been seen on the usually very empty gravel pits before Osselle. It was 7 years ago the last time I saw a GN Diver, and I also needed it for France (not a big lister, but a list is sometimes a good excuse), so I set off for another early morning trip. It didn't take too long to find the diver which was not a Great Northern at all, but a Black-throated - much commoner in the region than the GN, but much rarer for me, being only my second, whereas I've seen about a dozen GNs. Sadly, my first BT Diver was also in Franche-Comté, so no tick! Or so I thought, an Egyptian Goose came flying through, so that's a new Cat C for my French list!

Carried on to Osselle. Haven't been there since last October, it's a little more than upsetting to see what was once a great local patch being slowly turned into a sterile parkland and lake. There were a few interesting ducks on the lake, but the bushes where the Melodious Warblers and Stonechats nest have been grubbed up, and the grassy margins that should be welcoming back Yellow wagtails look more like English lawns than suitable breeding habitat. A female Hen Harrier quartered the one rough edge left. Beautiful bird!

Attachments

• bt diver sketches 001.JPG
    bt diver sketches 001.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 50
  • bt diver sketches 003.JPG
    bt diver sketches 003.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 49
  • bt diver sketches 004.JPG
    bt diver sketches 004.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 47
  • bt diver sketches 005.jpg
    bt diver sketches 005.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 51
  • bt diver sketches 006.JPG
    bt diver sketches 006.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 51
and just because the opportunity arose, my photos are getting slightly better! I just wanted a proper record shot in case somebody were to question the id because I doubt many people will actually go and see the bird! I'm usually reluctant to have photos of the birds I sketch, as it is always too tempting to compare the sketches and the photo, then find problems with the sketches (strangely, I never seem to compare two contradictory sketches!)

Attachments

• plongeon arctique.jpg
    plongeon arctique.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 66
Thirst-quenching drawings - and every millimetre a black-throat (even without the pin-sharp id pic). Delicious work - much to enjoy for us, and much to contemplate and rework for yous. I'm really looking forward to the results of a few rainy days in France - I just sense there's a bit of a head of water building behind the studio dam-wall and pretty soon it's gonna get breached!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back