• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN versus 7x42 BN. (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I used to have a pair of Leica 8x32 BN's and I kept thinking how great they were. I sold them awhile back replacing them with my Leica 7x42 BN's. Well I picked up a Leica 8x32 BN for a good price and I figured I would compare the two and keep the pair I liked the best. My testing was done in daylight and it was pretty much just comparing the two views and comparing the ergonomics of the two binoculars.
I spent about an hour comparing the two. To make a long story short I sent the 8x32's back and kept the 7x42's. Really the ONLY advantage the 8x32's had were they were a little lighter and a little more compact and I decided even this was not really an advantage. The 8x32's really did not fit my hands,as well as,the 7x42 did and I believe the 7x42's because of their heavier weight were easier to hold steady. Also, the 7X magnification is an enormous advantage in that it doesn't shake nearly as much as the 8X. Any detail you gain with the an 8x magnification is lost to the shaking you experience. A 7x42 in comparison is almost like an image stabilized binocular.The view is much better through the 7X and you can see more easily and your view is much more relaxed than the 8X. Also, eye placement is much easier with the 7x42's and I did not get near the black bean effect with the 7x42's. Comparing 8x32's to 7x42's is almost like comparing 8x20's to 8x32's. After conducting this test I can not see how a serious birder could possibly prefer an 8x32 over a 7x42. There is NO comparison! FOV with the 7x42's was also slightly better but the big advantage was the relaxed wonderful steady view through the 7x42's and the easy eye placement. You do not have to get your eye at exactly the right spot to get rid of the black bean effect. All this BALONEY about 8x32's being the best all around binoculars is just not true. All you 8x32 guys out there should really try a good pair of 7x42's. Latter on that night at dusk I compared them again and noticed a big advantage in brightness for the7x42's in low light conditions. But even in daylight the 7x42's were way superior to the 8x32's in every way. They are well worth carrying a little extra weight. The optical advantages are enormous. You can argue all you want but I will never change my mind after actually seeing the difference. If you have never tried a good a pair of 7x42's do your self a favor and try them and compare them to your 8x32's. I guarantee you will prefer the 7x42's. The 8x32's went back and it took a very short time to decide!

Dennis

Last edited:
Dennis,
I enjoyed your story and unequivocal recommendations. It seems like experienced users often land on the 7x42 with finality. I have the outwardly identical 8x42 BA. They call it "the brick". I ask you, did anybody ever complain that a brick was poorly balanced? Seriously, I, too, really notice a big difference between 7x and 8x. 8x shows a little more, I think, but 7x is just under my shake threshold, where 8x is just over. 7x feels very steady and sweet, 8x just a bit aggravating. Heck, if all I wanted was information I'd use 12x, but I prefer fun, personally.

You are definitely headed in the right direction, and I envy your 7x42. But I think the best bino is even further down that road, the 7x50 porro! I have come once again under the optical spell of my Fujinon FMT-SX, and am doing the doggonedest things to try to get along with it, which I will probably report on in a day or two. For most practical purposes, 7x42 is probably a good stopping point!
Ron

Yes, the 8x42 and 7x42 are bricks but this weight keeps it steady in your hand. I just can not hold the lighter 8x32 binoculars as steady. I would imagine the 7x50 would be a great binocular too. Nice and bright, easy eye placement, and not too much magnification, big FOV. Probably a real comfortable binocular to use. But who makes a 7x50 besides Fujinon? There is alot to be said for big apertures and low magnifications.

Dennis

|=o|

Glad you're happy and that things are so so clearly defined for you.

Foolish me, I have 8x32BNs and 7x42BRs and have had no such epiphany.

Last edited:
Have you not noticed the advantages of the 7x42 when compared side by side with the 8x32? I find it hard to believe that it is just I that appreciate the advantages of the 7x42. Have you ever compared them side by side?

Dennis

@ Denco: And you haven't even mentioned the Zeiss 7x42... yet. ;)

I had a pair of Zeiss 10x42 FL's and they were a wonderful pair of binoculars. I am sure the Zeiss 7x42 FL's would be just as awesome as the Leica Trinovids. My point is that I think 7x42's are really superior to 8x32's in general especially optically. I guess you could say low magnification and large aperture are the key .

Dennis

I wish more would give 7x's a try. The FOV, eye placement and eye relief are really worth trying. Fretting over 8x or 7x is really not a big deal. I'm sure more people go to 8x with out ever considering the benefits of 7x. It seems only after a circuitous route of trying everything out there that some come back to 7x.

To everyone who can... spend a day with a really good pair of 7x and you'll see what I mean.

My 7x Meopta are very nice and I highly recommend them!

Cheers

The 7x42 BNs are too heavy for my taste but other than that I agree with your observations. Try the 7x42 Ultravid and you will see they are even better!

I think that Dennis's post is a testament to the fact that a "QUALITY"* 7 x 42 binocular is more than the sum of it's parts!

I agree with that sentiment. I also own a Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid BN.

Bob

*BTW, I think that is the only kind of 7 x 42 you can buy anymore.

Last edited:
Let me chime in as another very satisfied 7x user. I had the 7x42 BN for a season of hawkwatching and thoroughly enjoyed its performance. The image quality of that particular binocular was very addicting in the sense that the contrast level it provided was very relaxing, soothing even, to my eyes. I could stare at something for a very long time and never be tired of looking at it.

It truly is a shame that more 7x binoculars aren't produced these days. I just did a google search for 7x42s and 7x35s. You either pay $100 and buy some very inexpensive porros or you end up paying $1000+ for some very expensive roofs (the Meopta being the exception). If someone would come out with another decent quality 7x42 in the $300-$400 range then I think it would be an excellent seller.

Have you not noticed the advantages of the 7x42 when compared side by side with the 8x32? I find it hard to believe that it is just I that appreciate the advantages of the 7x42. Have you ever compared them side by side?

Dennis

Yes I have noticed the advantages of the 7x42s when comparing them to the 8x32s. The 7x42 BRs are brighter, have a little wider view, and are even a bit sharper and seemingly have a bit better contrast.

It's not just you who has "discovered" 7x42s -and- of course I've compared them side by side.

OK that's out of the way.
I give more weight (points wise) to the 8x32BNs for their smaller size, lighter weight, and quick handling than you do. This is based on looking through my 42mm Ultravids which are 4-5 oz. lighter and physically smaller and more svelte than 42mm BNs. I carried 42mm Trinovids in the field for 12 years. I'm well familiar with "the brick".

If the premium makers made 7x32s or (better yet) 7x35s, I think they'd be very well received.

Last edited:
I happen to like 7x as well, although mine is a 7x36 Swift Eaglet. I think Dennis has discovered the world of personal preferences and ergonomics. As in "wow, I really like this, therefore so should everybody else". For my part, I like what I liike and will tell why I like it, but there is no overcoming personal preferences. They are just different in people. A lot of the popularity of the 32mm class of glass is largely due to the compact size. A lot of the shake is due largely to the differing abilities of different people to hold binoculars steady, or in the sensitivity to shake of magnified images in different human optical systems. There are likely lots of people out there who have 10x glass and aren't quite happy who would be better served by 7x. My liking of 7x I don't think is so much due to less shake as it is to le lesser magnificaton giving a generally better image and having less eye strain, making a 7x more enjoyable for long usage periods. I will however grant that less shake of the 7x may well enter into my liking of 7x. I do not notice shake so much at 8x, but its there for sure at 10x. I think my ideal binocular would be a really good, wide fov 7x36. The Swift is very close, but not quite there.

I also own a Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid BN.

*BTW, I think that is the only kind of 7 x 42 you can buy anymore.

Huh?
A quick look over at Eagle Optics shows Zeiss FLs, Leica Ultravids, and Nikon EDG all in 7x42, in stock.

There's Bushnell Discoverers in 7x42 (new) regularly on *b*y.

Last edited:
It truly is a shame that more 7x binoculars aren't produced these days. I just did a google search for 7x42s and 7x35s. You either pay $100 and buy some very inexpensive porros or you end up paying $1000+ for some very expensive roofs (the Meopta being the exception). If someone would come out with another decent quality 7x42 in the $300-$400 range then I think it would be an excellent seller.

Swift Eaglet 7x36, I think, is the only mid-range 7x35ish bin. Rather narrow FOV too.

For 7x42s I think it's just 5 bins

Zeiss Victory FL 7x42
Leica Ultravid HD 7x42
Swarovski SLCnew 7x42
Nikon EDG 7x42
Meopta Meostar 7x42

Seems like our "Chinese ED" designers should really be thinking about this as a way to place their product!

Was the end of the 7x42 market when people didn't buy the Discoverer? The 7x42 and 10x42 models seems like a good way of satisfying the market but it seemed that people wanted 8x at that time.

I do like my Bushnell 7x42 Discoverers (they're a good fit in the hand too). But I'm still not convinced that 8x42 is that much worse. And that's what most of the bin buyers seem to believe too.

Swift Eaglet 7x36, I think, is the only mid-range 7x35ish bin. Rather narrow FOV too.

For 7x42s I think it's just 5 bins

In the UK Opticron sell this one:

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/im_bga_se.htm

I have never tried 7x42 binoculars but I will have to give them a go if I find a pair anywhere. Personally, I haven't had a problem holding my 8x32 Trinovids steady but I am willing to be converted if the view through the 7x42s is very special.

Ron

I'm familiar w/the wonders of the 7x42; the Zeiss 7x42 Classic was my primary binocular for a number of years, and it remains an all-time favorite. I'm also a big fan of full-sized binos (for their easy view and shake mediating mass) over 8x32 models, even though I end up using the latter a lot (for their compact size in packing and their superior close focus for butterflies). Honestly though, I'm just as happy overall (actually more so) with the 8.5x42 EL, and with other 8x42 as I am with 7x42. The higher magnification is useful, and the sacrifice of FOV and DOF doesn't bother me like it does when going to a 10x. I'd be more interested in 7x if their FOV was wider. There are other disadvantages to some 7x models, for example, as I recall the 7x Trinovids and Ultravids don't focus as closely as their 8x counterparts.

--AP

Huh?
A quick look over at Eagle Optics shows Zeiss FLs, Leica Ultravids, and Nikon EDG all in 7x42, in stock.

There's Bushnell Discoverers in 7x42 (new) regularly on *b*y.

Kevin,
The asterisk before my "post script" refers back to the asterisk after the word "QUALITY" in the first line. I wasn't aware that Bushnell 7 x 42 Discoverers were still available, but I wouldn't describe them as "QUALITY." The other brands you mention, of course, fit that description. I'd be just as happy owning and using any one of them as I am with my Trinovid. I'm a fan of the format. (If I hit the lottery I'm getting an EDG!:t:)
Cordially,
Bob

Well Bob,
There are also Brunton, Canon, Optolyth, Opticron, Weaver, Barska, Meopta, and Swarovski 7x42s that can be readily had and this is only counting roof prism binos. The last two having already been mentioned.

BTW, "quality" as an adjective alone means nothing. High quality, or low quality (as examples), have the required modifier.

I think 7x42s are reasonably well represented. Other sizes of 7x binos however, are not.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back