• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon's new 14x32 IS (1 Viewer)

I haven‘t, but I did test the 12x32 and found its brightness okay in broad daylight but unsatisfactory under more demanding lighting situations (dawn, dusk, woods with thick foilage, etc). Even under overcast skies, the brightness wasn‘t impressive at all.

Sharpness and contrast are fine in the 12x32, and the IS works very well indeed. But for my needs, the exit pupil (2.7mm) is smaller than what I like, and that‘s even more true for the 14x32 (2.3mm). So I am staying away from it.

For me, the 10x32 with its 3.2mm EP is the most versatile of the three new Canon IS models.

fwiw Canip

Rocket in my pocket

I found a good deal on the 14x32 and bought a pair.
Now I own these and a 15x50. I will sell one of them soon :)

Findings so far after some comparison

Case. The 14x case is a bit too bulky and lacks a compartment för spare batteries. I will find another case.

Size. The 14x fits in some of my coat and jacket pockets which is really nice. Reduced bulk was a main reason to buy them. Great! Much easier to just bring them along than the 15x.

Brightness. I was a bit worried but this is not an issue. The 14x work perfectly fine even on cloudy October days in Sweden. At dusk a bit less bright than the 15x but much better than expected.

Detail. I can discern the same amount of detail with the 14x as my 15x. Good.

Eye relief. I can see full picture also with glasses, but no big margin. Ok, but not great. 15x a little bit better.

Color cast. The 15x has a yellow cast, which can be seen in snowy landscapes. The 14x is much more neutral. Good.

IS. Pretty much the same, 14x and 15x. However the second option “Powered IS” really makes a difference while on a boat. While standing on ground I do not detect any use for Powered IS button.

IS buttons. I much prefer the bigger button on my 15x. The two buttons on the 14x are too small. But hopefully I will get used to them.

Close focus, 2m of the 14x vs 5m on the 15x. Big difference and the second reason for me to buy the 14x. Great for butterflies and dragonflies. However, at close range you will have to close one eye due to double vision.

Chromatic aberration. The 15x is better. Some but not too much CA on the 14x (in some occations only). It is mainly seen just before the object snaps into focus. As soon as you get focus it disappear (mostly).

I like both of them but due to bulky size and 5m close focus I will sell my 15x50s.

Cheers
Wolf

Wolf

Thanks for the review, particularly against the 15x50.

Have you tried adjusting the IPD for close work. I found this worked for the Nikon 8x32 SE porro.

Stan

If you have owned or used one or more of the new Canon 10x32, 12x32, and 14x32 IS models—which one do you think is the best compromise for birding? I can't get all three, but I do think I might like to get one.

I am motivated by the wish to be able to do at least some shorebirding and seawatching without lugging a scope. All three models seem to have very small exit pupils by the standards of ordinary optics.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't think that one can equate stabilisation of a lens with a binocular.

Firstly, the diagonal of a 35mm frame is 43mm not 50mm.
Secondly, the 16x of an 800mm lens is notional.
And what is considered sharp on a photograph is quite different to the visual image in a binocular or telescope.

How sharp is sharp?
What size photo are we assuming?
How much movement can one tolerate visually.

I have used the Canon 18x50 IS for about 17 years or so, and 25x or possibly 30x is almost certainly achievable now.
But the tolerances regarding collimation and optical figure may make it uneconomical.
Also the eyepiece focal length would be small and eye relief a problem. If eye relief is extended then the AFOV would be less, and real FOV considerably less.
I don't think I'd have a problem, not wearing glasses with binoculars, but many would.
Using the Canon 1.75x front converter on the 18x50 IS gave 32x and was steady, although the image was awful.

The Zeiss 20x60S is wondrously sharp and is older than the Canon IS.
Maybe Canon made a special stabilised lens longer than 800mm, but I cannot remember the specs.

Last edited:
Much more sensible prices, BinoBoy.

I suspect that Canon realise the list prices mean that the traditional Canon IS binocular uses will not buy them, and they have not really attracted many new users.

It would not surprise me if there are more discounted prices for the 32mm Canon IS binoculars.

Canon are sharp business people.
The Canon lenses have lower prices than the Sony lenses for digital cameras. About 2/3 the Sony price.

Canon IS binoculars have been lower price than Nikon or Fujinon stabilised binoculars.

Amazon has matched B&H's prices for the 10x and 12x. They lowered the price of the 12x by $100 overnight. They don't carry the 14x. I'm hoping the new prices become permanent. The 12x32s are now just $25 more than the 12x36 III.

I had a moment of weaken last night after posting. I ordered a pair of the 12x32s even though I already have the 12x36 II. My 12x36 have the dreaded melting armor problem and are pretty much unusable until I manage to clean them. I asked a guy on ebay who refurbs binoculars about it and he says that the consensus is to use 70% rubbing alcohol. So, I'm going to try that.

My 12x32s should be here Friday, so I'll be able to compare the two.

I ordered the 10x32 IS binos about two weeks ago when B&H offered them on a "Flash Sale" for $899. As noted above, B&H now is selling them for $699. I returned my 10x32 IS binos last week because they had a bad vertical collimation problem. I already have a pair of the 10x30 IS II binos, and could not see the 10x32 replacing the 10x30s. The 10x32 binos are 120g heavier which is quite noticeable and significantly bulkier which made them much hard to fit into a pocket. Plus the eyecaps are uncomfortable and horrible as many have noted.

My 12x32s came late yesterday afternoon. I got in a half hour or so with them at dusk and quite a bit of time with them today. Overall, I love them. They are a big improvement over my elderly 12x36 II.

I wear glasses so the eyecups are not a problem. The small exit pupil is not an issue. I can't tell the difference between the 12x32 and 12x36 in that regard.

The IS works beautifully. There is no jerking when engaging or disengaging it. I haven't noticed any "artifacts". I even found a use for the Powered IS that land lubbers can take advantage of. If the wind is blowing hard enough to buffet your bins a bit, turning on the Powered IS will filter out the buffeting. I was't in gale force winds today, but it was blowing hard enough that it did affect the binoculars a bit.

I hate the IS buttons. They are too small and hard to find by feel. I thought I had come up with a solution while playing with them in my living room last night. Activating them with my little finger worked well. It takes very little force to press the button and my little finger is near the button. However, I tried it out in the field today and I had too much trouble finding the button with my little finger. I've settled on activating the IS and verifying that the LED has come on while raising them to my eyes. I tried the IS panning while following boats and flying birds and it works fine.

I don't like the battery compartment either. The cover is just a rubber plate that press fits onto the bottom of the bins. It doesn't latch in any way but it is tethered. I wonder how well it will hold up over extended use. It also prevents them from having a tripod socket.

I am a little puzzled about the exit pupil. You would never guess it is that small. There must be some advantage to making it small. Fujinon used to make their Stabileyes in 12x32 and 14x40. Their latest model is a 12x28. I actually had a chance to buy one of them at a good price on Amazon Warehouse Deals a couple of months ago but I couldn't convince myself that 12x28 bins could be any good. But, if Canon and Fuji are both going this route, it must work OK.

I went with the 12x32s in part because I was worried that the exit pupils on the 14x32s would just be too small. Now, I think it might not be a problem. At any rate, I was impressed enough with the 12x32s that I ordered the 14x32s. My plan is to compare them and then send one back.

They deliver a surprisingly good view. I highly recommend them. No one but Amazon has matched their prices. I'm beginning to think that the price isn't going to stay this low. It may just be a one time bulk buy. I'd say get one while the price is reasonable.

Last edited:
..... Fujinon used to make their Stabileyes in 12x32 and 14x40. Their latest model is a 12x28. I actually had a chance to buy one of them at a good price on Amazon Warehouse Deals a couple of months ago but I couldn't convince myself that 12x28 bins could be any good. But, if Canon and Fuji are both going this route, it must work OK.

Thank you for your review. I agree that despite the small exit pupils (which for my taste are too small for many lighting situations) the Canon deliver good optical performance and the IS works well.

I find the Canon optics and the IS clearly better than those of the new Fujinon, which I found disappointing
(see
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/612101-is-there-is-beyond-canon/?p=8989417).

What speaks for the Fuji is its size, weight and shape of the body.

Canip

The new 14x32 arrived and I've spent a little time with it looking out over the bay. It's AWESOME and a big improvement over the 15X. I waited on buying one because I thought it would be hard to improve on the 15x50.

The size and weight difference is huge. I was surprised how small it is. It's something you could take on a hike and such without being too cumbersome.

The image stabilization is better and thus the image is better than with my 15X.

The button locations are a little less obvious...and there's two. But, either one works for stabilization and my finger always falls on one. I don't see that as an issue since I'll press it once and it's stabilized for 5 minutes.

It's a little less bright at dusk but it's minor.

For my optics money it was $900 well spent. Now after having one, I would pay the full price if I had too. It's a keeper.
Dave

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 288
I'd love to read a review by someone comparing back and forth between the new 12x and 14x models. All of this seems exciting, though. They sound pretty great, and prices are plunging.

I'd love to read a review by someone comparing back and forth between the new 12x and 14x models. All of this seems exciting, though. They sound pretty great, and prices are plunging.

I was thinking the same thing. I like the idea of the 14x but am skeptical of CA control and the small exit pupil. I'm tempted to order a 12x and a 14x and return the loser.

I attempted to order the 12x42 from B&H but was denied the opportunity to complete the automated online purchase due to the Shabbat. I'll see if I still have the same impulse in 25 hours!

Interestingly, the 12x is not eligible for free shipping while the 10x and 14x are. "Due to this item's characteristics, it is not eligible for free Shipping."

As tempting as the 14x is, I can't get over the thought of under 2.3mm exit pupils. I was experimenting with 10x25 Ultravids today and I just can't imagine any smaller working out ok.

The 14 power is awesome regardless of the specs. I had to pay an additional shipping fee to Hawaii and taxes so in the end I think it was another $70. But, like I said, I'd pay full price after using them. Get both and keep whichever you like. I've had the Fujinon 14x40 and Canon 15x50 for many years...these are the best by far.
Dave

Lots of bad influences around here. I placed an order for the 14x. I'll post my thoughts as a first time IS user when they arrive.

Super Dave and BinoBoy's impressions pushed me toward the 14x. I was originally thinking 12x would be safer, but I am not looking for these to be a jack of all trades. They will mostly be used for long distance shoreline viewing in mid day lighting. Hopefully, the small exit pupil won't be an issue and the CA that some reviews complain about won't be a deal breaker since I won't be adjusting focus often.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back