• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$250 roof compacts - 8/10 x 20/25 (1 Viewer)

vkalia

Robin stroker
My post on the Opticron forum didnt get a lot of responses, so I'll try here:

What do people think of the new crop of compacts roofs in the $200-$250 price range?

There's a few out there:
- Steiner Safaris
- Brunton Eternas
- Celestron Nobles
- Opticron Alphabet Soups

I've been searching the archives here, and everyone loves the LX/HG compacts, and the equivalent Zeiss, Leicas and Swarovskis. On the budget end - $100-$150 - there are lots of recommendations for reverse porros.

However, there isnt a lot said about these mid-tier compact offerings. My intended use is as "contingency" glass - not something I'll take as my primary birding binos, but something I'd like to carry when hiking or on exploratory trips. The last word in low-light performance is not so important... however, sharpness and contrast is. If I were to obtain the optical equivalent of the Nikon Monarchs at this price, I'd be happy.

Possible for $250 or less?

Vandit

8x25 is OK, also a few 8x28 models
Not so sure about Busnell Excursion, though there are lots that are worse. Try some Pentax models.

By the way, the best compact I have is a Minolta Compact II reverse porro 8x25. It is sharper than many of my roofs and also bright enough even on cloudy days. Nikon makes reverse porros and the optics are nearly as good, not quite. I paid 25 dollars for this discontinued brand.

Last edited:
Tero, I was looking for something that is a little more compact & flatter than reverse porros. Also, I've never really liked the ergonomics of most reverse porros I've tried (admittedly not a lot). Hence my preference for roofs - knowing fully well that a $250 roof is probably going to have the same performance as a $100 reverse porro.

Anyone else have any experience with the binos listed above and/or care to chime in with suggestions?

Vandit

I went and tried out some double-hinged Minox 10x25s.

Ugh. I cannot deal with that small an exit pupil. And the ergonomics of the two hinges were terrible. What the world needs is a decent 6x25 compact roof with the single hinge.

Until then, I think I am bowing out of the pocketable bino market. On the bright side, I completed my trifecta of binoculars yesterday, getting the Vortex Viper 8x42s in the mail.... just in time for a raptor-photography trip on Sunday.

Vandit

Last edited:
Bob, I've looked at the 6x32s, but if I am going to go with a 32mm objective, I like my Minox BD 8x32s very well for that purpose. If anything, the Leupold Windriver Olympics seems quite decent - but I cannot find any reviews of them.

Tero - I cant find any compact Bushnell Legend roofs either. And I dont want to get $100 roofs, as I am pretty certain they will be too compromised, optically.

Ideally, I'd like an an exit pupil of over 3 at the very least (4 would be perfect - which is where 6x25s would come in, but no one makes them). Which means 8x25 or 8x28s.

Vandit

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back